Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-28-2024, 08:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2023 Micro Minnie 2108FBS Question on Breakers on Front Frame

Hi All,

New owner of a 2023 Micro Minnie 2108FBS getting ready to begin switch from dealer FLA battery to LiFePo. However I noticed that WBGO is now putting breakers in an exposed position on the front of the trailer A frame, see attached image. I originally thought these were just junction posts or a busbar. This seems like a poor location for breakers or any electrical connections for that manner. My question is: Has anyone out there relocated these breakers to inside the pass-through or other protected inside area?

I appreciate any help or insight. you may have.

Thanks,
Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240527_231247722.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	189070  
Old 05-30-2024, 02:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I will look when I get home but I'm sure those are not breakers.
TriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 08:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

They are 12v hot connections painted with some black anti corrosion stuff.
Agreed it is miserable location!
The inline fuse holder goo for the tongue jack is there too. Mine was full of water and badly corroded. I will relocate soon!
Wmlunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 03:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

They are thermal breakers. Common for TT use, and also not unusual to see them mounted exposed.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...yABEgKZEPD_BwE

I did not relocate mine because it would involve extending some wire runs, including the power run from the battery.

You'll also notice Winnebago used non-exterior crimp connectors. In my inverter install thread I covered how I replaced all the connectors with marine grade ring crimp connectors that have heat shrink with "glue" inside them to seal the connection after it's heated with a heat gun. After using the proper connectors, I then sprayed all connections with a corrosion prevention spray.

My last trailer, a Jayco, had the same thermal breakers mounted exactly the same and using exactly the same crappy connectors.

Also watch the inline fuse for your tongue jack. Twice my jack failed to work, and I had to reset the fuse in the inline holder. The fuse didn't blow. It just didn't have a good connection. I suspect something is not solid inside the holder, and I will probably replace it with a better one.
IdahoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 05:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

My 2327TB had a couple of those. They're also called a "reset" type breaker, as in auto-reset (when they cool down). Some manufacturers refer to them as "Type 1". I am puzzled that you seem to have four of 'em - perhaps some of those are just junctions.

I did not relocate mine, but I did replace all that with marine grade breakers and connectors, along with a generous portion of dielectric grease, while I was upgrading to a lithium battery. For me, that also meant changing out the converter, and upgrading the solar charge controller.

I used the Eaton CB251 product. I sourced them through Waytek Wire. I find Waytek's online store to be a bit puzzling but if you search for "251xx-B-2", where xx is the amp rating you need, they should come right up.

I also installed an additional auto-reset breaker for the tongue jack, as I found the notion of having a fuse there disturbing.
carpedatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 06:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Idahohunter and Carpedatum:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm a little less worried now that I know these are a common approach. Sounds like I need to work up a plan to clean those connections up and add some protection (new crimps and adhesive shrink tube for starters).

Michael
Old 06-02-2024, 09:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Waterproof Box

I bought a plastic waterproof box and remounted the whole assembly inside. Check dimensions carefully - I was able to find a box that just fit in the same location.

I already needed to do some rewiring to accommodate a proper charge controller for the feed from the tow vehicle for the lithium battery. Warning - the diagrams from the manufacturer didn't match the actual wiring, so I had to ring it all out.

The last trailer I had the breakers were destroyed by the salt spray from cold weather trips and I had to replace the whole set, so this time I did it right away.

On our 2022 2306BHS trailer the battery disconnect disconnects the 12V link from the inside panel, but not from the front breakers.
Bill F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 08:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill F View Post
I bought a plastic waterproof box and remounted the whole assembly inside. Check dimensions carefully - I was able to find a box that just fit in the same location.

I already needed to do some rewiring to accommodate a proper charge controller for the feed from the tow vehicle for the lithium battery. Warning - the diagrams from the manufacturer didn't match the actual wiring, so I had to ring it all out.

The last trailer I had the breakers were destroyed by the salt spray from cold weather trips and I had to replace the whole set, so this time I did it right away.

On our 2022 2306BHS trailer the battery disconnect disconnects the 12V link from the inside panel, but not from the front breakers.
Where did you get the waterproof box, and what is its size?
IdahoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 10:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

It often depedns on where I am at the time but one place to get really nice, but pricey is Grainger here:
https://www.grainger.com/category/el...uKey=WP8338061

But for some of our uses, we need to have it sealed to keep fire ants out. They tend to build nest and then short out the good stuff with their juicy little bodies!
there are times when we get down to things like plastic boxes for lunches, or dry boxes for float trips?
They tend to not last as long in dry sunny use but they can get us by for several months at least and we can be better prepped for the next time we trek out that far!
We like a plastic box that we can cut or burn a set of openings and then add a bit of spray foam around the wires, just enough to seal the hole without flooding the connections inside.
We find it helps to put the wires in, stuff the empty space with paper towels, etc. and then foam as it keeps the foam back a bit so we don't have to fight it off the wires! We can rip out the paper much easier than the foam!
Caulk works but tends to dry out too quick in the Texas sun! We also have wasp problems if we don't seal things.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote