Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-21-2024, 12:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Cracked Frame Brackets 2021 Micro Minnie 2108DS

You may have read my earlier post where I was contemplating trading for a new 2024 trailer. I decided to hang on to my 2021 because it had not had any issues since I have owned it.

That changed yesterday when I noticed that two of the metal brackets going from the frame to the underside of the camper were cracking (see attached photos). The other one not shown was cracked from the top to bottom. These are made of some really thin metal an appear to be poorly designed. It's hard to believe they are integral in the support of the structure based on the one small bolt holding it to the bottom of the camper. In addition, they are huck bolted to the main frame of the trailer. Not an easy fix. For now, I welded the cracks closed but will contact Winnebago if replacements are available. If not, I guess I will have to fabricate my own.

Has anyone else had this happen? It does have me wondering what else may be lurking behind the chloroplast cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3343.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	189422   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3344.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	450.3 KB
ID:	189423  

Old 07-28-2024, 02:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Check the a frame at the trailer. There are square inspection plates welded on. These are there to verify the attachment alignment of the hitch. I check ours yearly before camping season, if the welds are cracked to the front cross member which the a frame goes through then it means the a frame has moved in relation to the frame of the trailer.

My guess is that the one cross bracket you had to repair was poorly done from the lippert factory so a heads up to lippert might be in order as they build the frames for Winnebago. The only problem we have had with our WD 1780 has been with the torsion axle failing far too soon. So far no problems with other parts of the structure. Touch wood!
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 04:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Steve,

I had a 2018 2108ds. I didn't have cracks but before I sold it last year I spent a lot of time on the Facebook group "Winnebago Micro Minnie Owners". I dropped off the group when I purchased the motorhome. At that time, a lot of Minnie trailers where having cracks where the rivets go into the frame. These were on the main frame rails vs. the outriggers in your picture. Although you should check to see if the main frame is cracked behind the outrigger. Anyway, Lippert was repairing these issues for owners even out of warranty. At first they were send folks to welding shops then they developed a bolt on kit to strengthen the cracked frame. I would get on the facebook site and show them the issue. Likely others have dealt with it. Good luck.
essbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 08:18 PM   #4
Micro Minnie 2108DS

Hi

I used to own a 2017 Winnie Drop WD170S, recently replacing it in 2023 with a Micro Minnie 2108DS and both had Norco BAL frames, not Lippert.

I had to repair the frame on my prior 2017 Winnie Drop as it developed frame cracks on both sides originating from the rear welds of the axle brackets. Norco shipped me 24 inch "mending plates" which had axle brackets already welded on. The plates were pre drilled and sistered onto the existing frame rails after carefully grinding off the old axle mounting brackets. They were attached using standard nuts, lock washers and bolts. To be safe, I also applied red Loktite. Because the curb side plate shared a mounting hole with the stair bracket, I had to drill out the existing huck bolt, replacing it with one of the plate's bolts. It was not necessary to weld the frame cracks, but I did "stop drill" them to prevent them from progressing.
DEWEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 10:30 AM   #5
Micro Minnie 2108DS

Hi Steve,

Based on my experience with BAL/Norco, I would contact their support group for advise on your cracked outrigger. My personal experience was very good, and after supplying them with photos and the serial number, they expedited the shipping of the required components to affect the repairs. All at no charge. Here's a relevant link to a similar problem.

https://stillwinnie.com/2021/08/16/r...-frame-cracks/

Regarding my earlier post regarding huck bolt replacement, here is BAL's official statement.

Approved Huck Bolt Replacement

In a circumstance where certain frame components need to be replaced, the Norco installed Huck Bolts may have to be removed and replaced. We understand that these fasteners are unique to our frames and RV dealers are not equipped with the machinery to replace these with the same type (Huck Bolt) of fastener. Therefore, the Norco Industries approved Huck Bolt replacement is grade 5, 3/8”-16 bolts, and locking nuts. Flat washers are recommended where possible and all replaced hardware should be torqued to the correct value.
DEWEY is offline   Reply With Quote