Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-28-2024, 09:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

BAL Hide-A-Spare with a Micro Minnie 2108TB?

Has anyone mounted the Hide-a-spare on their 2108?

If it’ll work, I’d like to mount our 28 gallon Camco Rhino honey wagon and the spare tire underneath.
Dashunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 04:31 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Following. I considered installing one, but wasn't sure how it would work with the belly-liner that is underneath the trailer.
No1Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 04:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1Hunter View Post
...wasn't sure how it would work with the belly-liner that is underneath the trailer.
Thats pretty much my concern, among others.
They make two versions, for trailers with and without the under cover.

The 28 gallon tank needs a minimum of 12" depending on whether or not the wheels would end up dangling, and I have about 18" from the frame down to the ground. Its enough, but I don't think I'll do it.. I have pipes behind the axles so the it'd all get mounted in front of the axles, which means its not really protected by anything. If I run over a rolled up semi tire tread on the highway the Tundra will easily clear it, but the rack thing might not, so there it all is - rack, tank, spare tire - all yanked down into the trailer axle/tires. Pass.. its not worth it.

I think I'll just hang the tank on the ladder, or put it in the truck bed, or weld up a bumper/hitch mounted rack of some sort that'll also haul the genny, fuel, etc..

As for the spare.. In my case I can get the OEM Tacoma spare tire hoist thing and mount it up near the propane tanks, then just pull the spare up into that area. I'm considering it anyway, need to pull the spare off and see if it'll all fit nicely.
(The Tacoma version has the correct lifting thing on the end of the chain, and fits with my Tundra's crank, and the jack works on the trailer.)
Old 08-01-2024, 05:08 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

My 2529 came with a receiver hitch and I installed a rack there. I use it to haul firewood, but recently picked up a big plastic box to mount on it. There is just enough room for it with the tire mounted on the rear. I do have to keep my weight under the 250lbs max for my receiver hitch.

I still keep my generator strapped in the front of my pickup bed.
Old 08-21-2024, 09:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I installed the BAL Retract-a-Spare today. Pretty simple setup, works well. Details in this post.

eatSleepWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 09:29 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatSleepWoof View Post
I installed the BAL Retract-a-Spare today. Pretty simple setup, works well. Details in this post.

Can you post a picture after you put the coroplast back on?

Thanks
Old 08-21-2024, 10:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1Hunter View Post
Can you post a picture after you put the coroplast back on?

Thanks
Yes please. How that works out is the interesting part
Old 08-22-2024, 09:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Not sure what you guys envision as a big deal ("") with coroplast. It'll be bent upwards, obviously, and secured to the brackets the tire rests against. It's below the trailer and no one will ever see it, so function over form all the way.

Will happily share a photo whenever I'm done with that.
Old 08-22-2024, 07:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Not sure what you guys envision as a big deal ("") with coroplast. It'll be bent upwards, obviously, and secured to the brackets the tire rests against. It's below the trailer and no one will ever see it, so function over form all the way.

Final photos on ExPo.
Old 08-22-2024, 08:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Pretty cool.
Old 08-26-2024, 05:27 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

ESW, what is the clearance you have under the spare? I know ypu go off the beaten path and that was my only concern.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2024, 05:40 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
ESW, what is the clearance you have under the spare? I know ypu go off the beaten path and that was my only concern.
Just measured. Full 15" to the bottom of the tire.

I left 3/4" between the top of the BAL frame and the inner underbelly in order to have more working room from the outside of the frame (easier to drill, mount hardware, and actually use). If someone wanted to, they could mount it 3/4" higher than I did.
Old 08-31-2024, 08:37 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

FYI - see where the coroplast gets pushed up and away from the frame, that is a great place for rodents to get inside your trailer. Every time we boondocked, we got mice inside. We could hear them, sometime see them and also trapped them. I could figure out how they were getting until I started looking at where the coroplast met the frame. Sure enough, there was an opening there. Now that I sealed it up with stainless steel wire mesh, foam and belly tape, no more critters are getting in!!!