Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-01-2024, 07:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Black tank handle broken Micro Minnie 2100BH

Well title says it all. Blank tank handle broke so have use a set of pliers to open close. It's a bristol tank valve. Any ideas which one it is? Looks like I have to pull underbelly to access and find out. On a 2100bh. Will post pics here shortly

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	188686  
LVMicroMin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 01:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

... just finished same project. My rod was bent, not broken.

You will have to replace the whole assembly because it is broken (LaSalle-Bristol product). I repaired mine because I needed it right away, but it' a piece of junk that won't last.

The next time I have to deal with it, I'm going to replace the cable assembly with a solid rod, and do the same for the gray tank. You might want to explore that option while your underneath the trailer.

I think the cable (72") was designed for a larger trailer or motorhome. To fit it into a smaller trailer it has to be tightly looped, making it work even harder. When I had mine out of the trailer I laid it straight across the garage floor and it still worked very hard with nothing attached to it - there is simply to much friction between the cable and the sleeve. Once you have that convoluted mess removed, the valve itself moves easily.

I have put that whole assembly into the category of "It's a great idea, but it doesnt work". I will never own another one.
Old 04-02-2024, 04:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks going open up the bottom and see if I can pull apart.
Old 04-02-2024, 06:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

took it apart cutting enough of the barrier to pull down and unbolt the valve what a pain. Now to find one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1479.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	731.1 KB
ID:	188695   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	357.8 KB
ID:	188696  

Old 04-03-2024, 02:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVMicroMin View Post
took it apart cutting enough of the barrier to pull down and unbolt the valve what a pain. Now to find one
The cable assembly clips onto the valve. If you pry the clips open and remove the cable you will notice the valve stem is threaded. (And at this point my valve worked easily and smooth - hope yours does too.)

There are extension rods made in different lenghts that will screw onto the valve stem and include handles on the other end. That's what I'm going to replace mine with.

The replacement cable assembly sells for $113 and the rods for about $25.
Old 04-03-2024, 03:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I will take a look at that. Appreciate it. It was difficult to open and close before so not very hopeful.
Old 04-06-2024, 04:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Ordered whole valve and cable assembly and replaced the whole thing.
Old 04-07-2024, 02:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVMicroMin View Post
Ordered whole valve and cable assembly and replaced the whole thing.
Good to hear you're operational again. Is the new one the same length? And does it work any easier than the one you replaced?
Old 04-07-2024, 04:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

First time using my own black tank today and sure enough, barely managed to get the valve to close after 20 back & fourth attempts. Something tells me that soon enough I'll be doing the same fix/replacement as you guys... Ugh.
eatSleepWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 11:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Part of the problem we are having with the operation of the waste valves is the part that was applied by Winnebago. I asked a different builder's CS department if they used the same part (after telling them I would never buy another). They said they did but it is applied to larger fifth wheels and motorhomes. To fit it into a smaller trailer it has to be looped and that makes it work even harder.

Although as I said in my post above, the cable worked very hard even when I had laying straight on the garage floor without the valve attached. I like the concept, but it doesn't work.

In a perfect world the Winnebago rep that browes this forum will understand our issue, realize the problems it's causing, and replace those cables with something that works at their cost. ... don't hold your breath.

Tags
tank, black tank