Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-22-2024, 03:10 PM   #1
Micro Traveler

Dometic Frige / Freezer Works TOO Well

Contrary to prior RV experience (truck camper & small motorhome), the frige / freezer in our newish 2023 2108 FBS works TOO well! Ours is the 120 VAC / LPG unit, which is used primarily on gas, as we mostly enjoy dry camping.

The problem? Adjusted at its highest temp setting (sliding the clip on the right-side evaporator plate as low as possible) still gives us ~36 degrees in the frige and 0 degrees in the freezer. While I love the freezer being ice-cream-cold, I wish the frige was a more 'moderate' 40 degrees.

Two questions -
Anyone else experience this anomaly (extreme cold on warmest setting)?
Is there a way to keep the freezer icy-cold, but warm the frige a few degrees?
Jay Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 04:35 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Try a small battery-operated fan inside - a simple fix (Amazon - $22). If that doesn't work there's sure to be more complicated (? expensive) fixes.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Without looking at the specific frig, it is common for them to have one temperature sensor in the lower portion with cooling only done on one section. The temp is sensed in the lower and the cool done on the top with that cold air tending to run down.
One simple way to mess up the plan is to put things in the way to block the sensor from reading the true temp as that makes the top continue to cool until the sensor feels right!

Simple things to check are finding the sensor hanging in the fins in back, inside the lower section, make sure air can move around it well. That can mean something as simple as a large jug of milk pushed into a corner, etc. Make sure the sensor is actually able to sense the whole lower compartment, not just an isolated corner!
Then the second part is to make sure not to block free flow of air from the top to the bottom. Keep an air gap open.

There are several ways to make that air flow better with fans and it can be as cheap as a small muffin fan from a junk computer! But even a fan can't move air if there is no open space to move it through!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:01 AM   #4
Site Team

Hi Jay Tea,
My fridge runs about the same on the center setting (36ºF & 0ºF). I keep the stuff that is prone to freezing in the door, or in the bottom crisper drawer. Do you have things freezing-up in your refrigerator?
Eagle5
Old 05-25-2024, 04:52 PM   #5
Micro Traveler

No freezing in the frige yet, but close to it! I am trying to figure out how the adjuster operates / senses frige temps, by siding up / down the right side evaporator fin (with one wire attached to the clip).
Old 05-25-2024, 05:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

That sounds pretty strange for an adjustment! Is that something that you read in the manual?
As far as I know all the temperature settings are done on the front panel and the thermistor is just a sensor with no adjustments.
It sounds like you are trying to change the temperature by raising or lowering the thermometer and that doesn't work on a hot day! The ideal place for the sensor would be hanging out in the center of the place but that is awkward!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 07:11 PM   #7
Micro Traveler

Rich - Yep, the owner's manual describes sliding the clip (with attached wire) along the evaporator fin in the frige up (for colder) or down (for warmer). It works well, as moving the clip up cools the frige & freezer even more. My issue is that I have the clip as low as possible on the fin, without the clip falling off the fin.

There is no temp adjustment on the front panel, no visible thermistor, no obvious sensor wire inside the box, and no thermometer to raise / lower. I'll check the wiring schematic in the manual tomorrow to see where it is attached in the control area.

Tags
dometic