Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-14-2024, 05:38 PM   #1
raj
Winnebago Camper

How to hang up a coat hook for heavy items?

I'd like to hang up this coat hook I have, which was originally made by my wife's grandfather. I tried screwing it to the wall with small anchors and they ultimately pulled out. (My wife tends to hand too much stuff on it.)

I'm now thinking of maybe attaching a 1x2 between the studs inside the wall and then attaching the hook to that. Here's a picture of the area, just to the left of the main door. The red marks on the photo (no I didn't mark up my wall!) show roughly where the studs seem to be, which is roughly 16" apart.

I'm interested in your thoughts!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9614.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	334.7 KB
ID:	189200  
raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 02:52 PM   #2
raj
Winnebago Camper

No ideas? Wow...

Wow, no one has any ideas, I guess. I'll keep looking for suggestions elsewhere.
Old 06-23-2024, 04:14 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

If the back of the coat hook is flat and smooth, Command adhesive picture hanging strips might work for you. They can hold up to 20lbs.
Old 06-24-2024, 11:38 AM   #4
raj
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply! 20 lbs isn’t enough, unfortunately. My wife likes to hang up lots of things, including bags full of items. We’ve tried Command hangers before and they don’t hold enough weight for us.
Old 06-24-2024, 12:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I guess I kind of looked past this question as you seemed to have the answer I would propose.
There are sometimes questions on how to find the studs and how far apart they might be but if you have the studs located and add some wood for the hooks, what questions do you have from there?

I might suggest going to a larger piece of wood to allow more fasteners to the wall as well as less sideways torque to pull it loose. I would also go with drilling small pilot /test holes before putting the board up as a way to hide any mistakes when searching and making sure it is a stud center. If you miss and need to change the mounting hole a bit, the board will hide that attempt. Pre drill the holes to ease the screw into the wall and go with large flat head screws that are as long as possible for best grip but also not so long they go totally through the wall to the outside!
Use care in drilling to avoid going too deep. I do some measuring and then use tape on the drill bit to allow for drilling the correct depth and not too far!

Basic problem with RV is they have to be built lightweight and that means the walls are not too strong! You'll rarely find a 2X4 in an RV!

I'm not getting into the ideas of how to retrain your wife!
General rule around our house is if something is causing trouble that habit needs to change!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 04:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I put hooks on the back of the sliding bedroom door so the wife could hang "a few things" and now there are times it's tough to get the door closed
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 09:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I think that is a good way to go. The only suggestion I would add is to stain the wood, or use a router to cut a design or wrap it to make the background piece more decorative than just screwing a board to the wall. I like burning wood. Either use a burning iron to add a design or hit it with a torch to bring out the grain more, then stain it. As for wrapping, there is an endless supply of designs of self stick paper on amazon for about $6. I mounted a sound bar once by attacking a board between the joints and wrapped it in a black textured wood grain paper. It looked very professional.

Once up, you could hang more things from it like a mop or broom. I often find little storage for those types of items.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 10:01 AM   #8
Site Team

You might try mounting a 1X2 strip of hardwood to the wall with construction adhesive and mount the coat rack to the hardwood with screens. You could stain or paint the exposed hardwood.

The downside is you're really just gluing the backer board to the wall paper. But the positive thing is you will spread the load out over the full-width of the backer board. Instead of glue, you might be able to apply two wide full-length strips of VHB Tape, or even heavy duty velcro to the back of the mounting board.

I have done something similar - I had a coat rack on a 18" board and just glued and screwed the board to the wall. I chose a selection of wall that had a wood cabinet behind it with a wooden interior in the cabinet. So, The wall isn't holding the whole weight The screws went into the wall and extended into the wooden cabinet back behind the wall.

I wouldn't attempt to attach anything to an exterior wall. Period.

Something like this:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-27 at 11.01.16 AM.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	189290  
Old 06-27-2024, 10:41 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Yes, when it comes to the appearance, I rarely get into that part as we each have such different ideas of what looks good.
My preference is something that eases any cleaning as much as possible, especially in the RV.
That makes smooth a first priority as easy to wipe down, compared to any rougher surface or anything with grooves or details.
In our house, smooth shiny light grey is a fav! We find dust shows more on dark items and in the RV, we are never too involved with wanting to clean house!
We try to leave housekeeping back in the house as much as practical when we traveled!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 05:56 PM   #10
DNC
2016 Journey 36M

Command hooks use an adhesive similar to double sided tape. The amount of weight they can hold is dependent on the surface area of the tape. So if you attach a decorative board to the wall using good double-sided tape, and completely covered the back side of the board the double-sided tape you can make a very strong wall hanger. It's very important to make sure that the surface that you're adhering to is very clean, flat, and smooth (both the board and the wall) before applying the tape. The larger the board, the more surface you'll have so that you can increase the hanging capacity of whatever type of hanger you attach to the board.
DNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM   #11
2018 Vista 32YE

Watching this thread and also wondering how to find the stud on rear wall of Vista 32YE.
Wanting to mount brackets to hold a 1" thk x 6" wide x 29" long shelf to hold cpap and water bottle beside bed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	17196112934482675236388763977416.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	189298  
Sooeey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeey View Post
Watching this thread and also wondering how to find the stud on rear wall of Vista 32YE.
Who says there are “wall studs” in your Vista?

Tags
ems