Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-05-2023, 07:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Likely moving on from my Micro Minnie FLX

Think I have had enough of the poor quality and lack of factory and dealership help. I may be jumping the gun a bit as my issues have been fairly minor.
Every time I use the trailer I worry about the slide working properly and what I would do if it did not. I really liked the Truma stuff but did not like the idea that I would have to take the battery out this winter and I would have been using it some. For the listed price of $64000 I expected way more.
Partly my fault for not doing a little more research.
mfouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 03:24 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfouts View Post
Think I have had enough of the poor quality and lack of factory and dealership help. I may be jumping the gun a bit as my issues have been fairly minor.
Every time I use the trailer I worry about the slide working properly and what I would do if it did not. I really liked the Truma stuff but did not like the idea that I would have to take the battery out this winter and I would have been using it some. For the listed price of $64000 I expected way more.
Genuinely sorry to hear that you've soured on your trailer. Some brands, makes and models may require more attention than others.

Not sure why you have to take out the battery as if stored properly, should maintain an optimal charge level.

I'll have to agree with you that the slide can and most likely given enough time will be an issue. There are plenty of videos on what to do in case. Perhaps the Xoom system can allay your concerns.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 08-06-2023, 04:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Should have mentioned that I have the FLX version of the 2108 Micro Minnie. They got me with the deal, $64k trailer for $35k and you can boon dock for up to 5 days.
Should have done my research. This is a great forum and have learned a bunch about these trailers but ultimately the massive number of complaints turned me off.
Old 08-06-2023, 07:59 AM   #4
Site Team

RVing isn’t for everyone. Sorry this turned out like this so quickly. You’ve only had a few days in your TT, right?

Best of luck.
Old 08-06-2023, 08:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We traded an Arctic Fox truck camper for the Winnebago about 2 months ago. We will continue to rv and am looking at some of the better quality units available. I do know that with any rv purchased there is potential for issues but after spending some time here reading post after post of problems, Winnebago has issue!
If I were to keep the micro it is likely I would have to address things like the:

Slide
Can't use solar on the side without rewiring
DVD does not work
Backsplash delaminating
Battery surround breaking apart
Multiple areas where the mis-stapled plywood and staple poking through
Outside trim pieces pulling out and screws stripped
Already needs a number of areas re-caulked on outside.
Plastic toilet is horrible
Potential battery/inverter issues
Spare tire carrier
Drawers and cupboards won't stay closed

All of this and more from a brand new trailer.
Old 08-06-2023, 08:47 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
And… the weather could be bad, too. Kidding!

If that’s your list, then I would say you’re not a candidate for another travel trailer. Buyers remorse is a powerful force. And when it sours you there’s not much you can do but move on or get over it.

I had two Arctic Fox TTs and they were not perfect. And since Ron Nash died it seems there are more problems there, too. So, don’t look there.
Old 08-06-2023, 08:53 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
but after spending some time here reading post after post of problems, Winnebago has issue!
It’s a support forum. That’s what we see here, we see the problems.

Go to irv2.com, they have owners forums for all brands, we are actually an offshoot of the Winnebago forum there, read the threads there. Million dollar RVs with problems. All brands have “issues” so don’t single out Winnebago.
Old 08-06-2023, 09:12 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Didn't really mean to single out Winnebago just relaying my experience. I had issues with my Arctic Fox but nothing to this extent. I had a Northern Lite camper prior to the Arctic Fox and the quality difference was substantial, I do miss the Northern lite, just too small. The most disappointing thing with the Winnebago, at least with mine is, the complete lack of effort to make a quality product.
To those that own and like there Winnebago, good for them and I hope it continues. For those considering a Winnebago, look closely and read before you buy.
Old 08-06-2023, 10:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I think we all understand your frustration, but many of us have had new RVs with far more problems. If you don’t have fix-it aptitude, it’s more frustrating. I guarantee you that any new RV, no matter the cost will have many things to fix within the first 60 days of ownership. Being able to fix things yourself, gets you back on the road enjoying your RV faster, and you begin to forget about all the stuff pissing you off. Almost all complaints on your list are component problems, and if you buy another brand of RV, you’ll just experience the same problems all over again. Try visiting the Airstream forum. Just as many component problems on a $120,000 trailer. Some comments on your list below:

Quote:
If I were to keep the micro it is likely I would have to address things like the:

Slide
If serious, it’s a warranty issue. If it’s jus not aligned or won’t open/close properly, watch the Schwintek video on how to fix the problem. Could be as simple as holding down the extend button for 3seconds when opening slide then holding down the retract button for 3 seconds when closing. Fixed the problem for me.
Quote:
Can't use solar on the side without rewiring
Easy to wire in an additional controller, or re-wire direct to battery through a fuse if you prefer using a panel with built-in charge controller. Takes about 20 minutes. Only tools needed are screwdriver and drill driver if you’re mounting another controller
Quote:
DVD does not work
Order warranty replacement through dealer and replace the unit yourself. The DVD player sucks, and we seldom use it. We’re camping, and tend to read books.
Quote:
Backsplash delaminating
Strip it off and glue in some subway tile from HD for $10.00 and an hour of your time. Plus it will look much better.
Quote:
Battery surround breaking apart
Do you mean the cabinet or the battery case. If you’re talking about the cabinet, buy some screws from HD for $1.50 and put your drill/driver to good use.
Quote:
Multiple areas where the mis-stapled plywood and staple poking through
Yada yada yada. Easy fix/clean up. You really should see some really cheaply built trailers to keep this in perspective.
Quote:
Outside trim pieces pulling out and screws stripped
More yada yada yada
Quote:
Already needs a number of areas re-caulked on outside.
You need to check caulking and re-caulk every year anyway. Doing it now, you’re just getting a head start on routine maintenance.
Quote:
Plastic toilet is horrible
Not made by Winnebago. The Dometic 300 is a truly crappy (pun intended) crapper, but is standard fare on most lightweight trailers. This is the first thing I replaced on my Micro Minnie. Dometic 310 w/hand sprayer $230 on AMZ. Takes 45 minutes to install. You’ll be as happy as a king on your new throne after you do this mod.
Quote:
Potential battery/inverter issues
The Xantrex is pretty rock solid if you learn how to program it and use it properly. Just because you may have read other posters having problems doesn’t mean you’ll have a problem with yours. Many of those posters just needed to RTFM (read the friggin manual) or got help on this forum. We have a Lithionics employee on the forum to assist with any battery issues.
Quote:
Spare tire carrier
The Recall, in my mind maybe not a biggie. You can get another bumper mount bracket. Or get an under-toungue mount if it concerns you that much. My tire carrier shows no signs of potential problems. If you’re concerned about it falling off and killing someone, thread some bailing wire through the wheel and secure to bumper.
Quote:
Drawers and cupboards won't stay closed
Drawers will not stay closed if you don’t fully close them until you hear a click. Cabinets will come open in travel if you pack heavy enough stuff in the cabinets that may shift and push open the cabinet door. Simple fix. Buy some tension rods (same for fridge), or bamboo slide-ins, or be more careful and conscious about how you pack the cabinets.
Quote:
Yeah, better than anything else out there in this price range. I’ve had most of the issues you’re experiencing, and now after three years, we still love our Micro Minnie. Good news, after you get everything fixed, used FLX trailers hold their value pretty well. Take the proceeds from selling it and buy a much more expensive trailer, then start the process of correcting problems all over again. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
Old 08-06-2023, 09:59 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Didn't really mean to single out Winnebago just relaying my experience. I had issues with my Arctic Fox but nothing to this extent. I had a Northern Lite camper prior to the Arctic Fox and the quality difference was substantial, I do miss the Northern lite, just too small. The most disappointing thing with the Winnebago, at least with mine is, the complete lack of effort to make a quality product.
To those that own and like there Winnebago, good for them and I hope it continues. For those considering a Winnebago, look closely and read before you buy.
I also traded an Arctic Fox (1150) truck camper for a Micro Minnie 2108DS. I've only had the Winnebago for a few weeks and haven't had the chance to use it yet. I do miss the quality of the Arctic Fox but I also need to take into consideration the AF was real close to double the price. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Riley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 04:48 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Well, don't expect it to getmuch better with a different RV, because the problems ur having are just the nature of the beast. We havebeen doing this for over 20 years and we could tell you the same stories. We have learned to just roll with the punches. We carry a well stocked tool box and over 20 years of experience working on these RVs to the point that we can basically fix over 95+% of the issues to include scheduled maintenance . We are also blessed with over 20 years of military aviation maintenance. Even if you're not an experienced mechanic though, you would be surprised at how uncomplicated it is to fix these things if you only just try. It usually just takes about an ounce of common sense and lots of determination. The dealers are using mostly inexperienced "kids" that may not fix it properly anyway which causes the owners more frustration after long waiting periods. There's a good chance that you can fix your RV better (and quicker) than the dealer. "the juice is worth the SQUEEZE" IMO. Good luck and happy/safe trails. Larry 2014 Reyo P
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 05:49 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We had a few RVs ourselves, motor homes and one trailer. Winnebago, Forest River, Thor and East to West brands. One Class C and the ETW trailer we bought new; the others used. They all had their "little" issues which I consider normal. Most of them had Schwintek slides and they worked fine, including a whole wall 3-Trax version.

our Thor ACE Class A actually surprised me as it had very few issues. The ETW Alta had a great floorplan but the quality was, for lack of better terms....trailer-like (everything really flimsy to save weight). We went back to a barely used Forest River MB Sprinter based Class C which appaers to be pretty solid and well built. It's a 2019 pre-Covid unit.

If you want a trailer, consider a Lance. Friend of mine has one and it is solid and very nice. The pricy though.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 06:07 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I wound up getting a Bigfoot 21ft travel trailer. Amazing the difference in quality, and bonus, no slide to worry about with just as much room.
Old 08-14-2023, 06:41 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I wound up getting a Bigfoot 21ft travel trailer. Amazing the difference in quality, and bonus, no slide to worry about with just as much room.
Congrats. That’s a really well made TT
Old 01-07-2024, 09:43 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Know how you feel however as we continued to work though our lack of knowledge and experience with FLX type package we are now over 6k miles and 3 months traveling we love it!
AandPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 10:21 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

People share short falls quicker than positive’s because we are discussing fixes. We overall had hurdles but love it for the function we wanted. We have a CPAP and can easily travel and camp anywhere. That was our goal.
AandPB is offline   Reply With Quote