Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-10-2023, 06:04 PM   #1
raj
Winnebago Camper

Question Location of black tank sensors on Micro Minnie trailer?

Hi everyone!
I have Winnabago Micro Minnie (2017 Winnabago 2106FBS) trailer. My black (and now grey) tank sensors haven't work since about 1 year after I bought it! I tried one of the wands for cleaning inside the tank and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Since the wand has to be moved around inside the tank, it would be useful to know more precisely where the sensors are located, if possible. Has anyone found exactly where the sensors are located on the black water tank on these types of trailers, even if it's not the exact same model?
raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 06:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

My first Winnebago was a 2014 2101DS and my second is a 2018 2250DS. The sensors have been notoriously bad on the black and gray tanks. Use a flashlight to look down the toilet to see what the level is. When water backs up in the shower the gray tank is full. If you remove the coroplast to get the tanks and find the sensors stuck to the sides of the tanks, what are you going to do to fix them? People have complained about these for years but I have never heard of a fix other than cleaning the tanks which is temporary at best. Good luck.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 06:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Black and Gray tank clean
Here is a good formula, given to me by another camper, that I have used in the black and gray tanks and really works well. One cup of Dawn dish soap, one quart of vinegar, and 5 gallons of water. Put it in when you start your trip and drain it at the first location where you have full hook ups. Cleans up the sensors.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 09:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Wink Not as bad as the gas gauge sensors on old Austin Healeys

The only reliable way to check the black tank level is with a dip stick. Problem is my wife would have kittens if I kept one in our trailer!

One good way to keep the black tank sensor moving is to run down the road with about 1/3 of a tank. Our sensor works best after using the trailer 3 or 4 times but always seems to stick full and slowly go down to 1/3. Rarely does the tank show empty but it will if sat with the tank empty for a few weeks.
Almost as bad as the Lucas engineered gas gauge on a Healey on I once had back in the early 1970's. but not quite.
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 09:55 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Good video on a tank cleaning service called Kleen Tank. They use a ultra-high pressurized system to clean the tanks/sensors and claim a 99% success rate.

They say not to use any kind of disintegrating additive as it is a holding tank and not a septic. They even suggest leaving the grey tank valve closed until full. Water, water and more water!

With that, one thing I do with some success that I haven't seen mentioned is before I dump at the campsite, I'll fill up a 5-gallon bucket with the "still hot water" from the shower pour it into the toilet (if there's room) and then refill the bucket with the remaining how water (~3 gal.) After emptying and rinsing the tanks at the dump station, I'll pour the remaining bucket of hot water in the tank with a cup of borax and drive to my next destination with it sloshing around. The hot water/borax combination seems to work well loosening up any muck at the bottom.

Seems like a lot of extra work but in 3 years since I've had my TT, the sensors still work fine.
Old 06-11-2023, 12:17 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj View Post
Hi everyone!
I have Winnabago Micro Minnie (2017 Winnabago 2106FBS) trailer. My black (and now grey) tank sensors haven't work since about 1 year after I bought it! I tried one of the wands for cleaning inside the tank and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Since the wand has to be moved around inside the tank, it would be useful to know more precisely where the sensors are located, if possible. Has anyone found exactly where the sensors are located on the black water tank on these types of trailers, even if it's not the exact same model?
The black tank sensors on my 2016 2106DS are located on the door side back half of the tank. See red circle on attached PDF.

Let me know if you need anymore information. I just removed the rear portion of the coroplast that covers the black and grey tanks and the front portion that covers the fresh water tank to install tank heaters and water level sensors.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2016 2106ds Black Tank Sensors.pdf (62.4 KB, 117 views)
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 01:57 PM   #7
raj
Winnebago Camper

Thumbs up

Thanks for the PDF and information on what looks like almost the exact same trailer as mine. That's exactly the type of information for which I was looking! I'm going to use my cleaning wand and try it again.

Thanks everyone, for all of the great information! I really appreciate it!
raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 05:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeman View Post
Almost as bad as the Lucas engineered gas gauge on a Healey on I once had back in the early 1970's. but not quite.
Lucas = Prince of Darkness
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 01:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

If you do have to get underneath, clean your ground connection and make sure you have good contact (tight). Sometimes that fixes all of them.
Old 06-27-2023, 04:10 PM   #10
Lauri & Joe

SeeLevel Sensor replacement

On a previous trailer we replaced the OEM sensors with SeeLevel sensors. They where to the outside of the tank and you move the wiring off the existing sensor onto the SeeLevel sensors. You can get a more accurate level meter & wire that with the existing wiring to the new meter and place it below your existing meter area. Worked so much more accurately without any more guessing.
ZottHart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, cat, tank