Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-15-2024, 12:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Marker Lights not working after Furrion Side Camera install

On the weekend I installed Furrion's observation camera solution; rear, left and right cameras. Rear camera came on with no issues, as did the right side camera. But when the left side camera was connected, I lost all marker lights, the rear camera and the right camera. However, Brake lights and Turn Signals are still working.

I removed the left camera and still no market lights or rear/right camera.

I check the fuses in the tow vehicle (2021 RAM 1500) and t they appear to be working.

Any ideas? Would appreciate some guidance.

Ken
khales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2024, 02:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Okay, it took a bit to get straight that you have a trailer and you tow it with the Ram!
This will be a problem in the truck and we will not have much info on the way it is wired.
Do you have the owners manual for the truck as a way to check for info there?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2024, 02:24 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Okay, it took a bit to get straight that you have a trailer and you tow it with the Ram!
This will be a problem in the truck and we will not have much info on the way it is wired.
Do you have the owners manual for the truck as a way to check for info there?
Yes, his other posts made recently refer to a 2019 Minnie Plus 31BHDS.

Though I’m guessing he means that he wired the new cameras into the travel trailer’s side marker light to access 12v. If that’s what he means then the problem probably is not with the Ram truck.
Old 07-15-2024, 03:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

OK! Hard to find the good ideas at times!
But I might differe in my thinking if that is the case?
The side markers would be something that lights as the lights on the truck come on and the trailer is plugged into the trailer connector? Does that seem right?

I'm thinking of the trailer outside lights like brake, tail, and marker lights as drawing power from the trailer connector on the truck.
But this communications stuff is sometimes hard to get the clear picture across!
Old 07-15-2024, 04:18 PM   #5
Site Team

I see where you’re coming from, but if the OP modified the trailer’s wiring to install the cameras… couldn’t the trailer and those wiring mods be a likely starting point???

I guess we’ll have to let the OP tell us what he’s done to install the cameras.

I know many Winnebago TT’s come ready for a rear view camera installation using the top back marker light wiring. Side view cams?? I don’t know about that. Not as a factory “feature.”
Old 07-15-2024, 04:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Yes, mods to use the trailer batteries for the marker lights and cameras, would open a whole new set of questions!
Just as a way to help my memory along, I tend to think of the trailer wiring in some ways the same as a motorized in having two sources of power.

One is the stuff we find on most cars or trucks as the "chassis" group and fed from the tow vehicle.
Second is the "coach" group which we only find on Rv.

So that leaves the running, tail, brake, and backup lights not working until the tether is plugged in and getting power from the tow vehicle?
No need of any of those if not towing!

But then we are not sure what they mean when things stopped working. Do the truck lights now not work? That would seem to throw it into the truck wiring but if only the running lights on the trailer stopped, a different question, perhaps?
Old 07-16-2024, 08:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

For clarity, I tow with a 2021 Ram 1500. The 7pin receiver on the truck checks out. The trailer marker lights modified are the front lower corner of the 2019 Minni Plus #1BHDS. The marker lights have Power and Ground leads, both were cut to allow installation of the new marker lights that have integrated cameras.

As per the furrion instructions, camera power and light power leads are jointed together and connected to the power leads of the original marker lights. The right side was done first and worked as designed. But, when the left side was installed all trailer marker lights failed. Brake lights and turn signals work as normal.

I have not checked the voltage to the marker lights after install, nor have I checked the ground. I understand that both Voltage and Ground could cause the issue.

Ken
Old 07-16-2024, 09:46 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Okay, thanks for the added info. One thing that might have caused a problem is the polarity of battery and ground on the last item connected. Sometimes this can get reversed when/if we are dealing with LED. Maybe look at power still coming from the truck first to verify. It helps to avoid chasing all through the rv for something that may have stopped being there!
But before replacing any fuse, etc. try looking at the last set of connections added for them being reversed? Maybe disconnect, check power to trailer connector, if good connect the ones which had worked to vefity they are still god and then check power and ground before trusting which goes where when connecting the last one!

And then as a last cynical thought, it is always possible you have a bad one out of the box? If all is good and you seem right on the wiring but it still blows/trips, be alert that other poeple may be shooting your foot as well as you!
Old 07-22-2024, 09:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Problem Solved

Root Cause - Trailer Parking Light Fuse in Ram 1500 Truck.
Old 07-22-2024, 12:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Marker Lights not working after Furrion Side Camera install

I had camera problems on 2198 DS.
Called Lippert [ owns Furrion] and they were very responsive; was problem with their camera and they replaced.
Little Tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, install, light, lights