Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old Today, 01:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Micro Minnie 2108 - damage from freezing?

I'm in the Twin Falls area and we're headed out Saturday for a quick overnight.
Tonight (tomorrow am) its getting down to 34F for an hour or so around 5am, then Friday night its getting down to 32F around 5am. Sat/Sun it'll be near freezing again but we'll be in it with the heat on.
Then it'll warm up a bit for the next few days and its getting full winterization on Wednesday.

Its our first year owning it, so my questions are centered around how vulnerable these trailers really are to cracking, and what are some tips to side-stepping damage without full winterization?

Sitting stationary right at 32F, with empty tanks, drained hot water, and air in most of the lines will it be fine for a couple of hours each night close to or slightly below freezing?

Do the 2108's have anything that's particularly vulnerable to freezing?

Are they more tolerant of freezing with air in the lines?
(ie pump run with empty fresh tank, faucet valves open, etc)

Any recommendations for squeezing past a few borderline nights?

Thanks!
Dashunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:06 PM   #2
Site Team

I've only been RVing 20 years, and I done so all over the rockies and up into Canada. I always tell folks that your RV doesn't "freeze" because the outside temps are around 32 degrees.

It takes multiple days and nights of temps below 30 degrees to really start to get things cold. And, with you heating the inside and running water there is no way a night of freezing temps in your RV will be cold enough to freeze tanks and pipes. Water hoses... sure, but not your 5,000 lb mass of a travel trailer.

I've been in Twin Falls in the Winter and it's extremely cold. But no way a couple of days of near freezing to light freezing is going to be an issue.

One more thing, I've posted my experience and opinions about this many, many times and there are always folks that respond to not risk it. They say to winterize immediately even if it's only one day. And to prove their point they explain that they've never had a problem by winterizing for any 32 degree condition. Of course, they'd never have a problem if they didn't winterize either, but they don't know that.

So, you'll have to do as you see fit.