Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-23-2023, 12:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Micro Minnie FLX 2108BH generator options....

Hi folks,

We have a Winnebago Micro Minnie FLX 2108BH.

We're heading out boondocking for the 4 of July "weekend" and it might get hot. I have 2 little kiddos. So, I want to bring along a generator just in case...

I would appreciate recommendations for a smaller type gas and/or propane generator.

My thought is that I would run the generator to top off the battery on an as-needed basis. I do not think that I would aim to actually run the AC or Microwave off of the generator.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

- Trevor
tcaudle2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 12:41 PM   #2
Winnebagel

The great thing about the Truma A/C is that you can easily run it off of a 15A circuit. So you can get a nice quiet, compact generator. I’d recommend the Honda EU2200i.
jwiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 12:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks! The Honda EU2200i seems like the go-to...but, do you just get a little 30 amp plug adapter? A dumb question...but just trying to figure out how to plug in the 30-amp shore power plug into the generator with only 110 outlets...??
Old 06-23-2023, 12:48 PM   #4
Winnebagel

You bet! Often called dogbones, you can get those adapters at many hardware stores or RV/camping dealers.
Old 06-23-2023, 03:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

For small parts, I like to go minimum that gets the job done, so on this, I go with just the plug adapter rather than a dogbone.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Auto-Driv...e&athbdg=L1600

NOTE?
Don't get toooo sloppy when shopping as they also have them to go 30 amp outlet down to 15 amp cords!

But keep in mind that getting a battery that is down very far will takes long hours to get it back to fully charged, so consisder how that may change the plan?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 03:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Is this the equivalent?

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Gener...87&sr=8-8&th=1
Old 06-24-2023, 07:24 AM   #7
Winnebagel

I have a plug adapter too, but it’s not as flexible - sometimes plug covers get in the way of the width of it. The dogbone is more versatile so I prefer to keep that in my kit.
Old 06-24-2023, 07:56 AM   #8
Site Team

While you may only need 2200w to run your efficient A/C, you may be happier with a larger generator over time. It depends on how much hot weather camping off-grid you think you’ll be doing.

When we had travel trailers we lived in cool climates and bought a single 2000w Honda generator. But even traveling in very northern states we found some hot temps and shortly bought a second to parallel with the first.

We liked this because of the flexibility it offered to take one or two gens on a trip as needed. But you may want to consider one larger generator upfront.

We used the Hondas for 10-yrs, had zero issues with them and sold them for 60% of their original price after we switched to motorhomes. They were terrific machines.
Old 06-24-2023, 09:25 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I use a Generac GP3300i for our 1708FB. Small package, light weight, easy on fuel and runs everything including the AC (with a soft start installed). Tested myself and confirmed it does put out continuous 2500W. I've had it for two years with no issues. 90% of our camping is boondocking - Couldn't be happier with the Generac.
Old 06-30-2023, 09:16 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcaudle2001 View Post
Thanks! The Honda EU2200i seems like the go-to...but, do you just get a little 30 amp plug adapter? A dumb question...but just trying to figure out how to plug in the 30-amp shore power plug into the generator with only 110 outlets...??
with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Dogbone...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

We have that exact one. It works great. We also have a smaller generator, a Honda EU2000i and if we dial back the Xantrex settings to be happy with a 15a source, it can charge the battery back up in about 2 hours. That's even with some AC usage.

We're thinking about getting a EU2200i and doing the propane conversion for it.

if you can keep the AC usage down a bit and have your campers accept their fate, it's quite doable.

The Honda units are nice and quiet, which is a huge huge plus.
Old 07-01-2023, 09:08 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

You only need 15 amps of generator output. That’s 1,800 watts. Enough to charge batteries and run A/C simultaneously if need be, by reducing charge amperage while running A/C.
For what you described your needs are, any generator bigger than that is a waste of money, and adds needless weight to your rig. IMHO, gasoline generators like the Honda EU2200, are also needless added weight because you have to carry with you a supply of gasoline in a container. Honda can be converted to propane, but why bother. A 2500w propane or dual fuel generator will output 1,650w on propane , can weigh as little as 40lbs, and can be run from one of your tongue mounted LP bottles. The Xantrex in your camper can charge your lithium at 80amps, which will take your 3,000ah battery from 50% to 100% SOC in less than 2 hours, all the while the propane generator running in eco mode. Very little propane used for that charge cycle. I had a Honda. Best generator ever made. Sold it for close to what I paid for it, bought a 2500w propane generator, and had $500 left over to put in the bank. Shed 50lbs of weight from my rig in the process.
Old 07-01-2023, 09:39 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcaudle2001 View Post
Yes, same adapter. Just a matter of convenience/price and how we shop?
I tend to not worry having small parts on hand and have a list when we get near a brick and mortor store as I like to feel it before buying and price is worth waiting for a few weeks if we are not going out for several months yet!

Part of it is the way I have to spend so much time watching it being shipped, so that we are here to save it fromthe porch pirates. I can drive to the local
store, pick it up and be back in less time than I spend waiting to get it off the porch!

We don't like anything bigger than it has to be, so do not worry the issue of whether some lids will close on this style as it so rarely matters for us. We tend to not go if it is rainy and just have various plans for sticking a garbage bag over the post if it is.

Different strokes for different folks?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 07:16 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

We have an older Honda 2000i that we used with our TTs (our current MH has a built-in generator). If I needed one today, I'd definitely think about a dual fuel generator. I don't think I'd want to depend 100% on LPG, especially if I wanted to also use it around the house. I think Honda is still the gold standard, especially for quietness, but there are a lot of other options out there. Just be careful in comparing noise levels and read up on decibel noise levels first, they're logarithmic, not linear. As far as I know, Honda doesn't make dual fuel gasoline/LPG generators but they can be converted.

Even though we don't like the noise of the generator and tried to minimize its use, we used ours all the time to run our microwave. Admittedly we didn't have an inverter but I think this is a much better option than running it off an inverter and you're making noise for a few minutes. A 1200W microwave will consume 100A at 12V. Factor in a 10% factor for inverter inefficiency and that's 110A. Running it for 15 min will consume 27.5 Ah (110A x .25h), which is a significant chunk of battery power, especially if you only have a couple of 100Ah batteries and try to stay above 50% state of charge. A smaller microwave will consume fewer amps but will have to run longer.

We always had solar so we only occasionally had to run the generator to top off our batteries. We were, however, always very careful about our power usage.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator