Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-12-2024, 11:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Outside Griddle **FIRE** Access 30BH Travel Trailer

**FIRE WARNING**

We have had our Access 30BH out a handful of times this year (2024) and have used the outside griddle 5 or so times. On our last trip, the back side of the griddle, where the gas line connects to the griddle, started on fire. The flames coming out the backside were 6-12". I immediately disconnected the hose from the quick disconnect on the frame and the fire proceeded to extinguish it's self (was about 2 seconds away from grabbing the fire extinguisher from inside).

Cause: Once the griddle and hose cooled down, I noticed that the hose connection on the backside of the griddle was not tight allowing gas to leak. Ultimately, the gas ignited from the flames within the griddle creating a steady flame. Since I was able to catch it within seconds, the only damage that occurred was to the hose. However, I am not sure if I trust the griddle.

We will be contacting the dealer regarding this matter. Not sure who connects this hose: griddle manufacture, Winnebago, the dealer. In any case, 100% unacceptable.

Please check your hose connection to the backside of your griddle to make sure it is a secure and safe connection. I have not check yet to see if any gas pipe dope was used or not. Do not walk away from an appliance in use (even for a few seconds) and assume everything is fine.

I will be posting later about our range hood fan that nearly caught on fire as well (same trip). We were present and able to shut if off before it became an electrical fire, but was smoking.
JK05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2024, 11:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would guess a connection at the griddle to be a griddle builders question. But it is likely true that they put a disclaimer in the manul telling us to always check for safety.

But you are right about always watching when we light a fire.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2024, 03:07 PM   #3
Site Team

I guess this is the griddle in the 2024 Access 30BH that you are talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-08-12 at 4.05.40 PM.png
Views:	20
Size:	485.2 KB
ID:	189610  
Old 08-12-2024, 05:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I guess this is the griddle in the 2024 Access 30BH that you are talking about.
Yes, that would be it. Check the gas line that threads onto the backside of the griddle. Fire was being pushed towards the inside of the RV compartment.

I suppose in general, whatever brand griddle and RV you have, check these connections before use. Don’t assume that someone else has ensured the connections are safe, new or used. Check it yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0404.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	573.1 KB
ID:	189612  
Old 08-13-2024, 11:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Two things:

1. I wonder if there's an appropriate thread lock compound that can be used on the hose fitting, but research this carefully as to what to use. I'm not sure if dope or teflon tape is sufficient.

2. When you pull the griddle into its operating position, is it possible there is a twisting motion being imparted to the hose? If so, there may be a way to secure it or make sure there's more slack.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2024, 02:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Two things:

1. I wonder if there's an appropriate thread lock compound that can be used on the hose fitting, but research this carefully as to what to use. I'm not sure if dope or teflon tape is sufficient.

2. When you pull the griddle into its operating position, is it possible there is a twisting motion being imparted to the hose? If so, there may be a way to secure it or make sure there's more slack.
I will need to research what should be used, but this should have been done by either the grill manufacture or Winnebago, not for the end user since it came installed. The hose just sits behind the griddle when stowed. The hose then needs to be pulled out from behind and inserted into the quick connect fitting underneath. If this action is causing the hose to become loose, some type of safety latch needs to be implemented by the manufacture. The gas fitting on the trailer has a locking latching but there is nothing to safe guard the griddle side, where if there is a gas leak, it will come in direct contact with a flame.

My plan going forward is to not use the griddle on the slide tray. I will either use my portable grill (Weber Q Grill), portable stove (Coleman) or pull the griddle out and place it on a table and connect. Seeing flames shooting into the outside kitchen compartment of the trailer was very unsettling to say the least.
Old 08-17-2024, 06:16 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Unfortunately in today's world the general public has become the beta tester. I am anal about electric and gas items. They are the ones that are most likely to bite you and the most destructive when they go south on you. I ALWAYS verify all LP and electrical connections.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2024, 06:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK05 View Post
My plan going forward is to not use the griddle on the slide tray. I will either use my portable grill (Weber Q Grill), portable stove (Coleman) or pull the griddle out and place it on a table and connect. Seeing flames shooting into the outside kitchen compartment of the trailer was very unsettling to say the least.
Good idea. I've never thought having a grill or stove on a slide out or shelf makes any sense. There's too many things that can go wrong.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2024, 04:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

So I have an all electric Phaeton 44OH so the only propane I have is for the Blackstone Griddle which we use often and the propane fireplace not so often. I have a gas sniffer and Oatey tape approved for gas connections. Now I don't use it for the large propane to hose connect but rather hose to regulator. But I try to check whenever I break and reset the connection.
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel