Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-02-2020, 10:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question for 1700BH/1800BH/2100BH

Question for 1700BH/1800BH/2100BH - Do the bunks come out? Can you take the top one out or tilt both when you don't need the bunks? That would be a great room for hanging clothes and storage if you can take the bunks out. Thanks
JACKAL0PE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The lower bunk can be tipped up toward the aisle. The upper bunk is fixed in place. There is a video on YouTube of one owner removing the bunks on a 2100BH.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Nuts. Thanks for the information.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:53 PM   #4
Site Team

Hi, I moved your question about “bunks“ out of the thread about “refrigeration.“ Hope that helps you get more accurate responses.

When asking a new question it is always best to start a new thread rather than piggyback on to another thread on a different topic.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Doesn't seem that your move has helped much.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:03 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKAL0PE View Post
Doesn't seem that your move has helped much.
The new thread was a good idea. This part of the forum doesn't get huge volumes of traffic. Regardless, there really isn't too much to say. Watch the YouTube video and see for yourself what is involved.

My recommendation would be to make sure that whatever you do in terms of modifications is reversible. Your resale value will be miserable anyway, but selling a highly-modified version will be even more challenging.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Removed mine

We removed the top bunk rather soon after we bought our rig. It was just too tight a squeeze to use as an actual bed. We also removed the mattress from the bottom bunk, though unlike yours, ours is just a plywood platform bed. We put down vinyl tiles and bolted in some shelves. GREAT storage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKAL0PE View Post
Question for 1700BH/1800BH/2100BH - Do the bunks come out? Can you take the top one out or tilt both when you don't need the bunks? That would be a great room for hanging clothes and storage if you can take the bunks out. Thanks
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden13 View Post
We removed the top bunk rather soon after we bought our rig. It was just too tight a squeeze to use as an actual bed. We also removed the mattress from the bottom bunk, though unlike yours, ours is just a plywood platform bed. We put down vinyl tiles and bolted in some shelves. GREAT storage!
be careful loading too many lb's back there.
LetsGoChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Hello!
I´m from Brazil and I'm new here on the forum.
The question is about 1700BH, specifically about your single axle.
Here in Brazil, many owners of this model installing a second axle for more load capability.
Well, my question is about the real need to do this upgrade because the single axle is my favorite attribute of this model!!!

PS.: sorry but my english is not very well, google tradutor helps me!!
Giuliano_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Do they not offer the 1800BH in Brazil? It is very similar to the 1700BH but has the extra axle pre-installed.

As you implied, it’s really just a matter of whether or not the axle/tire and chassis capacity of the 1700BH is sufficient for you. Some people like the idea of having a second axle to provide extra stability in the event that you get a flat tire.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:07 AM   #11
Site Team

A dual axle travel trailer is easier to backup with a tow vehicle. A single axle is easier to maneuver by hand if you have a wheel on the tongue jack.

So, there are reasons to have one or two axles that don't have anything to do with load capacity.

Here's a comment from website eTrailer about adding a 2nd axle to increase load capacity:

Quote:
Adding the second axle does NOT necessarily increase the trailer's weight-carrying capacity. This might be the case but only if the axles were the trailer's lowest-rated component part, or its "weakest link", if you will.

A trailer's weight capacity depends on all of the components that go into it: coupler, frame, suspension, axles, hubs, wheels and tires. You could add a second axle to a trailer that doubles its axle capacity but this does not ensure the other parts of the trailer, such as its frame or coupler, have that same doubled capacity. Proper trailer design does require engineering knowledge and unless you can confirm with the trailer maker that the frame has the capacity to support the increased load, then adding the second axle will not increase trailer capacity. It WOULD take some of the weight load off the original axle but not necessarily do anything more.
A lot of calculations need to go into axle placement on a travel trailer you cannot just add another axle without considering many factors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	axle.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	177790  
Old 03-16-2021, 10:46 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I hadn’t heard that a dual axle was better for backing. I imagine that’s actually more a function of the trailer length, especially the distance from the tongue to the axles (longer = less responsive a bit easier to handle).
Old 03-16-2021, 10:54 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
I hadn’t heard that a dual axle was better for backing. I imagine that’s actually more a function of the trailer length, especially the distance from the tongue to the axles (longer = less responsive a bit easier to handle).
The pivot point of a single axle TT is the tire contact patch making it much more eager to rotate. Too easy many would say. A dual axle TT's pivot point is very wide, actually a virtual point between the two tire patches.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:40 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
The pivot point of a single axle TT is the tire contact patch making it much more eager to rotate. Too easy many would say. A dual axle TT's pivot point is very wide, actually a virtual point between the two tire patches.
Also very much like modifying the trailer the process might make a resale difficult no matter how well done and documented. I will be modifying our 1780 winnie drop to gain a little more ground clearance, but as far as the interior goes we will leave it stock and make certain that it is well taken care of. In my case it would be simple to return the trailer to a stock low rider as manufactured if the mod seriously affects the resale value.

As to the OP who wants to remove the bunk. Removing the bunk may be a very easy to restore modification if done carefully. HOWEVER I would first be certain that this mod does not impair the stability of the structure and cause corner wall cracking or other possible structural issues whatsoever.

It is easy to forget that it is a travel trailer and must be carefully designed to get jarred around frequently so the interior structures can in some cases effect the shell structures of shacks on wheels.

Look at the schematics of the frame and make sure that the BH model has the same structural support as the other models that are not designated as BH model and instead have other interior walls and fixtures.

If the roof, side wall and back wall do not rely upon the bunk structure for support then I would say Bobs your uncle and go for it, provided you do it in a way that makes it easy to return to a stock configuration.
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 02:00 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Do they not offer the 1800BH in Brazil? It is very similar to the 1700BH but has the extra axle pre-installed.

As you implied, it’s really just a matter of whether or not the axle/tire and chassis capacity of the 1700BH is sufficient for you. Some people like the idea of having a second axle to provide extra stability in the event that you get a flat tire.

Thanks.
My current trailer (Karmann Ghia KC380, made in Brazil in 1980) has only 1 axle and one of the reasons why i chose the 1700BH is because it also has only one axle but with the accommodations i need for four people!
I closed the deal but I will only get the trailer in two months.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:36 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuliano_MO View Post
Thanks.
My current trailer (Karmann Ghia KC380, made in Brazil in 1980) has only 1 axle and one of the reasons why i chose the 1700BH is because it also has only one axle but with the accommodations i need for four people!
I closed the deal but I will only get the trailer in two months.
Congratulations on the new trailer! We love our 2100BH.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:52 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Congratulations on the new trailer! We love our 2100BH.
Thanks!

This is my current trailer and my Nissan Xterra 2.8 diesel!