Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-29-2024, 10:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Replacement mattress for Micro Minnie 2108DS

I've searched this forum and found some ideas for replacing the horrible OE hinged Murphy bed mattress, but I didn't see a thread dedicated to the 2022+ models that have the Murphy bed that closes flush vice the earlier models that don't.

So far the best looking candidate is the Kinsley RV mattress that can be ordered with a hinge installed wherever you choose. This forum's member @Trax made a post saying he got the 8" thick 56"W x 74"L mattress with a hinge at 32" from the head of the mattress. I have yet to confirm the hinge location against my trailer, and while I'm at it, I'll confirm the width and length. I remember measuring the length at 74", but I thought the width might have been 57". I'll report back.

In the meantime, I'd love to hear what other late model DS owners have done to improve their sleeping comfort.
IdahoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 02:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Wow, no comments or suggestions huh?

I'll keep going on what I've found. The measured dimensions of the mattress platform are 57-1/2"W x 74-1/2"L, but it shrinks a fair amount if I get an 8" thick mattress because of how the front wall curves towards the rear. So, I'm looking at a 6" mattress that'll be 57" x 74", and the 6" thickness will also leave space for the CPAP hoses to run between the mattress surface and the bottom edge of the cabinets on both sides.

I'll need to call Kinsley about the hinge option that they offer because it makes a difference whether the mattress hinges on the bottom or top surface.
Old 06-02-2024, 04:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hey Mike,
We sold our 2108DS last year due to my health issues. But now, I’ve got a new bag of tricks. Recently ordered a Tune M1 pop-up truck camper that I pick up in July. I’ll be custom building the interior. For mattresses, I’ve selected Exped. Exped makes hybrid foam/air mattress. At first I didn’t think I could ever be comfortable on an air mattress. Are you kiddin? Exped mat series are not like any air mattress. Designed in Switzerland, it has a foam core that inflates by itself when you open a valve. Then you top off to the firmness you want. This design prevents the sidewalls from collapsing like an air mattress. I bought a single 25” wide size and tried it on the floor. I couldn’t believe how great it was to sleep on. As good as any foam/spring mattress we’ve had. I’ll be buying a queen size also. They’re not cheap, but less than the price of a quality hybrid mattress. NO, I’m not affiliated with them. I didn’t stumble onto the mattress until I joined an overland and an expedition forum where weight and convertibility are huge factors. Here’s a link to the queen size that will fit a 2108DS.
https://www.expedusa.com/products/me...42539350032601
Old 06-02-2024, 04:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Hey Mike,
We sold our 2108DS last year due to my health issues. But now, I’ve got a new bag of tricks. Recently ordered a Tune M1 pop-up truck camper that I pick up in July. I’ll be custom building the interior. For mattresses, I’ve selected Exped. Exped makes hybrid foam/air mattress. At first I didn’t think I could ever be comfortable on an air mattress. Are you kiddin? Exped mat series are not like any air mattress. Designed in Switzerland, it has a foam core that inflates by itself when you open a valve. Then you top off to the firmness you want. This design prevents the sidewalls from collapsing like an air mattress. I bought a single 25” wide size and tried it on the floor. I couldn’t believe how great it was to sleep on. As good as any foam/spring mattress we’ve had. I’ll be buying a queen size also. They’re not cheap, but less than the price of a quality hybrid mattress. NO, I’m not affiliated with them. I didn’t stumble onto the mattress until I joined an overland and an expedition forum where weight and convertibility are huge factors. Here’s a link to the queen size that will fit a 2108DS.
https://www.expedusa.com/products/me...42539350032601
Jim, I took a look, and it does sound like a good product. Unfortunately, their specifications page shows the queen size is 80 x 60, which makes it too long and too wide for my DS. Even the next size down wouldn't work since it's too long and too narrow. Thanks for the idea though!
Old 06-02-2024, 06:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoHunter View Post
Jim, I took a look, and it does sound like a good product. Unfortunately, their specifications page shows the queen size is 80 x 60, which makes it too long and too wide for my DS. Even the next size down wouldn't work since it's too long and too narrow. Thanks for the idea though!
The other brand very popular with outlanders is Hest. Not an air/foam hybrid. Maybe they have a size that works for you. I might buy one for my cabover. I’m told the center seem cannot be felt at all.
Old 06-05-2024, 04:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We just went to big lots and bought a mattress there. We have never really used the couch under there. So, we sold it and I made that area extra storage. The Murphy bed stays down perm and our mattress is nice
JoshBap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 07:07 PM   #7
Micro Minnie 2108DS

We have a 2023 Micro Minnie 2108DS, and we opted for a Tochta Journey custom built split unit at 8" deep, 54" wide and 75" long, hinged at 33" from the head. It wasn't cheap, but is worth every penny. Small investment when considering the alternative (mega loofa).

After one season, we're loving it.
DEWEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 07:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEWEY View Post
We have a 2023 Micro Minnie 2108DS, and we opted for a Tochta Journey custom built split unit at 8" deep, 54" wide and 75" long, hinged at 33" from the head. It wasn't cheap, but is worth every penny. Small investment when considering the alternative (mega loofa).

After one season, we're loving it.
At 8" thick, does the 75" long hang over the end of the support by a couple inches?

Also, with it hinged at 33" point, I'm having a hard time figuring out how the remaining 42" folds onto the top 8" thick section and still fit under the top of the Murphy bed. When I measured the distance from the top of a 6" mattress to the clearance under the Murphy bed's top frame, it was 39".

I'm doing all this because I obviously don't want to pay for a hinged mattress that ends up not fitting. Can you post some pictures?

I'll take a look at the Tochta Journey mattress too. Haven't looked at that one yet.
Old 06-06-2024, 06:03 AM   #9
Micro Minnie 2108DS

Morning Mike, Let me clarify. We do not fold the murphy bed up without first folding the 33" head of the bed towards the foot. We then use the retaining strap to hold the bed in the folded position while closing the bed platform. The bed fits the platform perfectly both closed and open.

Also, when making the bed prior to closing, we fold/pull down to the foot of the mattress, all the covers and top sheet prior to folding the mattress. The only part of the bedding remaining on the 33" folded portion, is the fitted sheet.

Deploying the mattress in the evening involves pulling the platform down, unhooking the strap, lifting and folding the 33" segment of the mattress to the fully extended position, and there you are.

Rather then storing the pillows in the folded mattress, we stuff them out of sight behind the sofa back. Per Winnebago's, recommendation, we never travel with the mattress in the up position.

Rather lengthy response, but it's the best I can do as I'm unable at this time to provide pics.
Old 06-06-2024, 07:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEWEY View Post
Morning Mike, Let me clarify. We do not fold the murphy bed up without first folding the 33" head of the bed towards the foot. We then use the retaining strap to hold the bed in the folded position while closing the bed platform. The bed fits the platform perfectly both closed and open.

Also, when making the bed prior to closing, we fold/pull down to the foot of the mattress, all the covers and top sheet prior to folding the mattress. The only part of the bedding remaining on the 33" folded portion, is the fitted sheet.

Deploying the mattress in the evening involves pulling the platform down, unhooking the strap, lifting and folding the 33" segment of the mattress to the fully extended position, and there you are.

Rather then storing the pillows in the folded mattress, we stuff them out of sight behind the sofa back. Per Winnebago's, recommendation, we never travel with the mattress in the up position.

Rather lengthy response, but it's the best I can do as I'm unable at this time to provide pics.
Ahh, I think I get it. By folding the upper section onto the bottom section before closing the bed, the edge of the lower section can rest on the bottom of the supporting platform, and the lower section isn't sitting on top of the upper section. That makes sense. As you alluded, you do lose the void behind the mattress for storing pillows and comforters when stored with this approach, but it gives you a good mattress to sleep on.

Guess my decision is now whether to get a Tochta Journey or Kinsley RV mattress. Both sound comfortable. I'll have to do some searching for reviews or maybe a place that carries them here that I can try them.
Old 06-06-2024, 10:44 AM   #11
Micro Minnie 2108DS

Hi Mike, Got some pics for you. Last picture is the space behind the sofa when it is deployed. Plenty of space for our 4 pillows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WMM01.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	189119   Click image for larger version

Name:	WMM04.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	189120  

Name:	WMM05.jpg
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	189121   Click image for larger version

Name:	WMM03.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	189122  

Name:	WMM02.jpg
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	189123  
Old 06-06-2024, 11:00 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Those pics really help! Thank you.
Old 06-11-2024, 03:52 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

8 inch zinus from amazon did the trick for me. Yes, it will fold in the up position and not crease. Been a happy camper for 2.5 years with it now.
jaywhite674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 10:17 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywhite674 View Post
8 inch zinus from amazon did the trick for me. Yes, it will fold in the up position and not crease. Been a happy camper for 2.5 years with it now.
When you put the Murphy bed up, do you fold the top section down and put the strap across it, or do you fold it up a different way? Obviously, the total length of the bed platform is 74", and the Zinus is 75". That's why I'm guessing you fold the top and slide the mattress forward a little so it'll fit when stowed.
Old 06-12-2024, 04:12 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Hi Mike, we fold ours the same as Dewey before closing the bed. It has worked great for us. Plenty of pillow storage. I don’t think the hinge position difference of an inch is significant enough to matter. I too use a cpap and while the gap isn’t big, I have no issues with using the hoses or even operating it. We have a custom mattress factory brand and are happy with the quality. We also considered the Tocha but found favorable reviews for the brand we bought and it wasn’t as expensive. It was just under $1000 before tax a little over a year ago. I had multiple conversations with them as well and were very happy with their customer service.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 07:31 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax View Post
Hi Mike, we fold ours the same as Dewey before closing the bed. It has worked great for us. Plenty of pillow storage. I don’t think the hinge position difference of an inch is significant enough to matter. I too use a cpap and while the gap isn’t big, I have no issues with using the hoses or even operating it. We have a custom mattress factory brand and are happy with the quality. We also considered the Tocha but found favorable reviews for the brand we bought and it wasn’t as expensive. It was just under $1000 before tax a little over a year ago. I had multiple conversations with them as well and were very happy with their customer service.
Thank you. Looks like Tocha won't get any more of a look from me. I filled out an RFQ for their hinged mattress on Friday, and then sent them a follow up email last night because I hadn't heard from them. Still nothing. So, I have to assume their customer service is in the tank, and I'm not buying a mattress from a company with non-responsive customer service.

Am willing to consider an 8" memory foam mattress like a few have posted too. Just want to know how well it stows since it isn't hinged.
Old 08-13-2024, 09:53 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I decided to try a full size 8” memory foam mattress. It’s thicker than the stock 6”, but since it’s a little narrower than stock, there is still room for CPAP hoses to fit between the mattress and side cabinets. Cost was less than $250, and I’ll get the first long test in about a month when I go into the mountains for archery elk hunting. I know it will be A LOT better than the terrible stock mattress though. Hopefully I won’t grow tired of folding the mattress and putting the Murphy bed up every morning.

I bought a Zinus 8” green tea cool feel memory foam from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0C6D...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tags
ace, replace, replacement