Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-15-2024, 05:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Solar and Battery? 2022 Micro Minnie FLX 2108DS

I just complete a 10-week trip around all the great lakes using just shoreline road as much as possible. I have a 2022 FLX, and in general I loved it. I did discover a few things about the battery capacity and the solar that is leading me to want to add another battery.

The first thing I discovered is my Renogy 200W suitcase would not ad additional solar to the system when plugged into the external MP4 connector. I contacted GoPower and they told me since the controller was set up for series wiring and the suitcase was parallel it would not work with the controller even though the wires from the connecter went to the controller. They told me to add a second controller in series with the existing controller or just wire the external MP4 connector directly to the battery. Just as an FYI I did make sure the connector was wired so there was no need to reverse the polarity.

Second, the refrig is just an energy hog when in hot weather. It is a reason I almost did not buy the unit. I tried turning the temp down, but to actually keep things cold and the freezer working the best I could come up with was between cool and cold. Still, it just gobbled energy. I am looking at some really nice electric/propane models to replace the frig with almost the same storage room.

For now, I want to add a second 300Ah battery and wire the MP4 connecter directly too it. The Renogy suitcase has a 30A MPPT controller that I was by-passing. Has anyone done this?

After 10 weeks, I can say for certain that there is no way you can go for 5 days off-grid in hot weather even with full sun if you want to enjoy the trip and take advantage of what the trailer offers.
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 07:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Residential fridges are energy hogs but can be held up with solar.

From years of personal experience it takes 1000 watts of solar to keep up with a big residential fridge under typical condition 600 watts under ideal but that never happens. It also takes lifepo4 batteries to avoid the solar wasting absorb phase. With 2000 watts you can handle some trees or some clouds but not both. Of course all of this depends on what else you run.

We kept our three door fridge at 0 for the freezer and 38 for the fridge. No compromise.

Bottom line is it costs a small fortune to run a residential fridge off grid but we loved being able to stock up at Costco for two weeks and know everything would be well preserved. It is a luxury not a necessity.
cruizerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 10:25 PM   #3
Site Team

CruzerEd’s residential fridge is twice the size of Steph’s 12v compressor fridge in her Travel Trailer. Plus his runs on 110v power that requires the use of an inverter to create 110v AC from 12v DC batteries.

That’s why he need so much Solar and Lithium battery storage.

Your plan to add another Lithionics battery (if that’s what you plan to use) and use the 200w portable solar to charge the batteries directly sounds fairly workable but you might find a need to also carry a portable generator to use sparingly to keep your 640aH of batteries recharged.

Winnebago talks about 5-days, but it seems they really mean “up to 5-days if you don’t use much power for anything at all.”

As to replacing the 12v compressor fridge with a gas absorption fridge that can run on propane… good luck with that project. You may be biting off more than you bargained for.
Old 07-24-2024, 10:36 PM   #4
Dream Big, Work Smart !

In Australia our standard Single Phase Power is 240V & 15A.
I think in the USA it is 120V ...30A not sure !?

As this is my industry I find it bewildering that people don't purchase a Solar Generator that can be Charged by Several ways.

Have a Look at this Solar Generator, it is the BEST unit on the market these can be ordered in 120V version for USA search the internet.

Australians are taking there whole house OFF-Grid with one of these units & simply adding additional 5.37kWh Battery modules to match there Daily Energy Consumption.

A Solar Generator simply replaces an Engine with a 5.37kWh LiFePO4 Battery.
Obviously how you Choose to Charge this unit is up to you !
Old 08-01-2024, 04:37 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
As to replacing the 12v compressor fridge with a gas absorption fridge that can run on propane… good luck with that project. You may be biting off more than you bargained for.
It would be much easier going the other direct. I considered it but considering we are off grid 99% of the time (if not 100%), several people on here talked me out of changing.
No1Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, battery