Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-04-2024, 03:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Thoughts from 2024 MicroMinnie Owners

I currently have an early 2021 2108DS and looking at trading for a new 2024 model. Other than a few minor plumbing leaks (loose fittings) and the fresh water tank falling out the brackets, it has been a very dependable trailer.

I am curious if there have been any significant issues with the 2024 models.
The reason for looking at a new one is the additional drawer storage, 12 volt fridge and tv, convection microwave, built in solar capability, and rear bike rack receiver.

Is it worth looking at a new one or should I just keep what I have or wait to see if there are any significant changes in the 2025 models.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Old 07-05-2024, 10:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Honestly, it sounds like you just want a new toy and are willing to throw away a whole bunch of money for virtually nothing.

Sleep on the idea for a month and I bet you'll forget about it.

A 12v fridge (have one) is great, but it'll drain a "normal" AGM battery in 3-5 hours tops. If you ever boondock, you'll have to upgrade to lithium batteries and custom charging setups, more solar, etc. A lot of expenses to go from one working fridge to another working fridge.

Additional drawer storage? Just build whatever storage you want. Heck, hire a cabinet maker if you need to.

TV? Convection microwave? Useless gimmicks.

Bike rack receiver? Go to any fabrication shop and they'll mount one + reinforce whatever needs to be reinforced (10x better than factory) for a few hundred bucks. Or just mount the bikes on the tongue via the myriad of available options.
eatSleepWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 03:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I agree with Woof. Why would you ever want to trade a perfectly good 2108ds for maybe “a pig in a poke” new one? There’s nothing on new ones you can’t do yourself, except for the FLX series, which you can do most of yourself except for the unique components. My 2108ds was made in September of 2021 and came standard with Dometic 12v fridge. Although we wanted absorption, we came to love the compressor fridge after we did electrical upgrades which we were going to do anyway. A 12v fridge will consume 650-850watt hour per day depending on ambients and orientation to sun. You just have to make sure your electrical system is up to the job with enough power to do everything else.

If you’re just looking to do a 12v fridge, Retrofitting a 12v fridge will be an easy 2 man job. How do I know this? Because my fridge fell out when we were camping off-grid on rough roads. The cabinet the fridge goes in is made for an absorption fridge, which is larger front to back. I’ve posted this along with the repairs. Winnebago didn’t bother with redesigning the cabinet, or even adding reinforcement. It’s just hung on the two front brackets, which gave way and stripped the bolts. I took out the fridge, reinforced the cabinet and re-installed it. There are only a few wires you need to connect because wiring is already there for your absorption fridge. [although you may need to go to a bigger gauge wire]. Cap off the propane lines, connect wiring, re-insert fridge, done. I feel for you having your fresh water tank fall out. Mine fell out too. You may have read my posts on it, and how I repaired.

Crappy build if you ask me, but probably better than other brands. I feel comfort in knowing that the folks that bought our 2108ds have a better built camper than when it came from the factory.

Save your money. It’ll cost you at least ten large to trade for a new one, and you still won’t have an electrical system that can run the fridge. Winnebago sells you a camper that can’t keep the fridge running for even one night. Upgrading your current 2108ds including battery, charger, and fridge will cost less than $3K