Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-06-2024, 06:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Vroom Slide System Review for Micro Minnie FLX

My wife and I have a 2022 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108TB FLX that we bought in Indiana and brought back to Alaska where we live. That month long trip proved to be the undoing of our new travel trailer, though we didn’t know it until after winter was over. In preparation for the 2023 Alaska Summer season, we attempted to extend the slide to begin cleaning and packing the trailer for our planned trips. Well, surprise, surprise, the Lippert/Schwintek slide system started making horrible grinding noises and then seizing up half way out on the “fixed” side of the slide out.

We contacted Winnebago after getting the slide back in, but were told that the warranty had expired a week earlier. However, they did tell us they would honor the warranty if we had it repaired by an authorized Winnebago service center. The only Winnebago dealership in Alaska is located in Anchorage, which it turns out only sells motorized Winnebago’s. When we contacted them, they wouldn’t look at our trailer until November since we didn’t purchase the trailer through them. This was in early June and we didn’t want to wait that long, so I researched ways to repair the slide myself.

I ended up contacting Lippert and ordering the “fixed” side upper and lower rails, gears, the plastic V-rollers, bearing blocks, and shoes. Once I watched multiple YouTube videos on replacing the system, I jumped in, and with the help of my son, made the repairs. We discovered the original rails and gears were stripped, one of the plastic V-rollers was broken, and both shoes were cracked.

After the repairs, all was great and we set out to enjoy the rest of the 2023 rainy Alaska Summer. After a few enjoyable trips to Seward and Homer, our Summer came to an abrupt end in Tok when the slide again exhibited the same grinding as before and wouldn’t extend. Enough was enough and we researched a replacement for the Lippert/Swintek system. Enter VROOM!

We couldn’t believe what we were reading about and viewing on YouTube from satisfied customers of the VROOM slide system. I was sold and contacted VROOM to schedule an appointment in April 2024 and had wonderful email messages with Tenlee Vroom about what to expect and the typical weather we’d find in Arizona during our stay. Originally Tenlee wanted to give us a slot in December, but we opted for April to ensure the majority of the snow season through Alaska and Canada was over.

We arrived in Arizona 9 days before our scheduled appointment, stayed at a local campground and enjoyed visiting parts of Arizona. On the night before our appointment, Tenlee said we could camp on the property free of charge, so we took advantage of the offer. WHAT A GREAT EXPERIENCE we had with the employees at VROOM! I want to apologize in advance to all the wonderful folks we met in the shop, because I’ve forgotten their names. I’m old and very forgetful.

In the morning of our appointment, we were greeted by one of the supervisors who took notes of my findings and concerns. He was extremely friendly and helpful and made certain I understood what they would do for me. We left the trailer in his capable hands and went to explore more of the Marana and Tucson area. At the end of the day, we got a call from the shop that our trailer was ready to be picked up, so we dropped what we were doing and rushed back to the shop.

We couldn’t believe what the folks at the shop had done for us and how well the slide worked. Not only had they replaced the slide system itself, they also replaced all the seals around the slide room and installed aluminum plates under the room for the three rollers. The wonderful technician who worked on our trailer walked us through the operation of the slide to include the “emergency” retraction bolt. And then another technician took us to a table where they had a mock up of the VROOM slide system and pointed out the construction as well as gave a visual demonstration of how the slide worked. Finally, we had the pleasure of meeting an incredible young lady, Denisse, who managed the sales and service of the shop and who gladly took our money.

Actually, it was a pleasure to pay for the work they had done because the VROOM system is far superior to the Lippert/Schwintek system. On top of that, Denisse gave us a couple of nice T-shirts with the VROOM logo on them and Joey, the shop manager, gave us some replacement rivets, etc. after we bought a spare motor. Before you ask, we only know their names because of the invoice. 😊 All totaled we paid $4506.71 saving a 5% credit card service fee because we paid in cash. I did ask Joey if they had a manual for the system, but he stated they don’t. So, if there is one suggestion I have for them, it is to put together an owner’s manual and perhaps a listing of some parts that the customer can replace like the motor, etc.

Now it was time to put the new slide system to the test! For our return to Alaska, we headed to Death Valley for a couple of days, then cut over to the California coast starting at Bodega Bay and meandered up the coast into Washington. From there we wound our way into British Columbia and traversed the Sea-to-Sky highway from Vancouver to Pemberton. Heading North and then West through British Columbia, we made contact with the Stewart-Cassiar Highway and headed North until we joined up with the Alaska Highway. We were now just over half way home. We only had to drive the AK Highway to Tok and then head west towards our home in Palmer, AK. After 7 weeks and 5672 miles, we were home and our new slide passed the test. Our route took us over several mountains, multiple sharp turns and bends, and over 400 miles of the worst spring frost heaves imaginable between Burwash Landing, Yukon and Eureka, Alaska. Our fresh water tank dropped down and had to be ratcheted in place with tie downs, and two of our drawers flew out and broke their rails, but the VROOM slide system didn’t miss a beat.

We couldn’t be happier with VROOM Slides! Our experience has been incredible. From the first time we started communicating with Tenlee, to the absolutely wonderful and professional members of the installation team, to the fabulous quality and performance of the slide system itself, all has far exceeded our expectations! We believe it was money well spent and we look forward to many years of happy camping with a dependable slide! Thank you, VROOM!!!
Alaska Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 08:45 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings Alaska Will,
That is a wonderful account of VROOM Slides in Arizona:
https://vroomslidesystems.com/
I believe others will benefit from your story.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 07-06-2024, 09:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you Eagle5. Actually, your YouTube video was one of many others I watched to help me make a decision to go with Vroom. I’m very glad you posted your video. I’ve also enjoyed some of your others videos. Keep up the great work!
Old 07-08-2024, 10:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Does it have to be done at their facility ? been planning a trip to the Arctic, it would suck if the slideout gets stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Old 07-08-2024, 12:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Vroom Certified Installers

Hello Downytide,

I chose to go directly to the manufacturer in Marana, AZ since I live in Alaska and wanted to make sure that everything was done correctly. That isn't meant to be a slight on Vroom certified installers since I know nothing about any of them. Unfortunately, Vroom no longer lists any of the certified installers on their website (not to mention their address), but here are some that I have seen mentioned on other posts:

Custom RV, Red Bay, AL
Patriots RV Garage, Aubrie, TX
Connecticut Cars and Motor Coaches, Plainville, CT

I've also read that there are installers in Appleton, WI & San Diego, CA, but I don't remember the names of the dealerships. I'm sure there are a few others.

The best way to find Vroom certified installers is to reach out to Vroom directly at https://vroomslidesystems.com/
They are very friendly, and I know will steer you in the right direction.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-15-2024, 11:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We also had ours replaced, just last week in San Diego and I've run the slide in & out a few times already. It's really smooth and no bad crunchy noises like we had before.
The schwintek we had failed while we were at a special event, which was less than ideal, and I made the decision to get it replaced.

even better, I had asked the extended warranty company about it, and they ended up working with the install location to cover a big bite of the costs.

We also have the additional plates to reinforce the slide. I like it so far.
Old 08-03-2024, 02:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Wonderful review

This years 5 week trip to Utah & Colorado, s/o in 2022 Winni Mini fLX 2108 broke (1 month out of warranty), at beginning of trip. we fenagled it for entire trip and now just got approved to replace Shittek through extended warranty but still $500 oop with my authorized dealer. also, Another repair shop that installs Vroom invited me to see the difference in systems.
I agree 100% that Vroom is extremely more robust and floats with movement of TT. We plan to trade up in a few years so i opted for Schwintek replacement they say is a new better system (lol). If it breaks again, and probably will, i'll negotiate with ext-warranty company to buy Vroom. Benefit both of us. This Texas installer ask $5100 total.
Hobie1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, view