Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-07-2024, 07:18 PM   #1
Dud
Winnebago Camper

Water heater problem 2021 Micro Minnie 2108FBS

My water heater wouldn't work on propane but worked on electric. It worked for a short time today on propane, then quit so I switched to electric...thoughts or advice please.
Thanks in advance
Dud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 05:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Not sure if this aligns with your issue or not. Our 1708FB (2022) water heater kept dropping out on propane while boondocking. It also happened much more frequent the higher in altitude we camped. I ultimately wound up drilling additional vent holes and then covering those with a bug screen. Ive looked for ways to adjust the jets for higher altitudes but haven't found anything. In some circumstances I have to just open the cover and then it works as it should - provided there is little wind. A bit discouraging. worse comes to worse I hook up my generator and run it on that.
Id try running it with the cover open and see how it performs. If it works with the cover open its not getting enough O2.
Old 05-08-2024, 06:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

There lots of different reasons for a heater to stop so it may help to tell us what is meant by "stopped working" as that can be several different things, depending on what we are thinking at the time!
Not trying to nit pick but do you mean it heated the water and then did not relight to heat it again?
Did it not make the fire light at all or did it light but not stay on long enough?
As mentioned, if it heated for long enough to use up the O2 and there is something blocking airflow it can go out!
Or it can be a wasp nest in the vents and the fire burns so poorly that a good puff of wind blows it out!
More info on details may lead more directly to the correct solution!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 08:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

On our 2021 Micro Minnie 2306 BHS the water heater would start on propane, then it would shut off in a few seconds. took it to the dealer and they said they had no problems with it running on gas. Got it home and it was doing the same thing. Called the dealer and they said they got a hold of Winnebago and they said to remove all the black silicone from around the edges, I guess they put too much on. I did this and it works like a charm.
guzz3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 09:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzz3601 View Post
On our 2021 Micro Minnie 2306 BHS the water heater would start on propane, then it would shut off in a few seconds. took it to the dealer and they said they had no problems with it running on gas. Got it home and it was doing the same thing. Called the dealer and they said they got a hold of Winnebago and they said to remove all the black silicone from around the edges, I guess they put too much on. I did this and it works like a charm.
So we can assume the dealer only tried it with the door open?
That is the sort of thing that keeps me fixing my own stuff as I've been down that road too many times.
It seems common sense is not very common!

I'm finding much the same happens with the medical field!
Old 05-09-2024, 04:06 PM   #6
Dud
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
There lots of different reasons for a heater to stop so it may help to tell us what is meant by "stopped working" as that can be several different things, depending on what we are thinking at the time!
Not trying to nit pick but do you mean it heated the water and then did not relight to heat it again?
Did it not make the fire light at all or did it light but not stay on long enough?
As mentioned, if it heated for long enough to use up the O2 and there is something blocking airflow it can go out!
Or it can be a wasp nest in the vents and the fire burns so poorly that a good puff of wind blows it out!
More info on details may lead more directly to the correct solution!
Stopped working= It initially fired up on propane, warmed the water(not hot) then no flame,was no longer working on propane. Switched to electric and it heated the water perfectly
Old 05-12-2024, 05:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2022 2108DS with a DOMETIC 6 gal W/H and had the same problem.
My W/H was working fine on propane, until I removed and refilled the propane tanks. After that the W/H wouldn’t work. I read in the manual that, for safety reasons, if the W/H burner tries to light and doesn’t, it will try a second and then a third time. After a third failed attempt it shuts down and won’t attempt to relight until the system is reset. On the upper left of my control panel located just inside the door is a “W/H Reset” light. If its lit, then you need to reset the W/H.
The literature says to simply press the “Reset” button, but they don’t tell you where it’s located. After looking for a while, I came the conclusion that there is no “Reset” button, at least on my unit.
I was able to reset it. Here’s what I did:
Open the water heater cover on the outside of the unit.
In the upper right there are 2 white rectangular electrical connectors. One on top of the other
Unplug the upper 4 pin connector (mine only has three wires with no wire in the top location.)
Leave it unplugged for a minute or two, then plug it back in.
If the “W/H Reset” light remains off after plugging it in, the W/H should operate on propane

If this corrects the problem. But the problem occurs regularly, then servicing may be required.

Hope this helps.
Roadrunner48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 07:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

OK, started , stopped and now won't try!

One of the best things I've found for appliances like this is getting the exact right info as there are some small points that are easy to miss from memory.
If you look on the heater for info on what brand and model then do an online search , you are likely to come up with a manual that has a really good flow chart to follow to check each step as well as pictures to guide you how and where to find the parts to check.
The reset idea above sounds like a really good idea to try for a quick fix, but if no go there, I would look for a manual to guide me!
Old 05-13-2024, 07:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Reset Switch

I have a 2024 Winnebago hike 100 that we just picked up and we have the same problem with the w/h starting and staying on with propane. The reset switch is inside in the control panel. It’s a tiny switch, you need a pen or pencil to press it. While Trying out different methods to keep the w/h lit , we noticed it’s an oxygen starvation issue. If we start and run the w/h with the door open , it runs every time smoothly and consistently. So what we actually do now is just leave the w/h door pryed open a bit. I don’t want to drive 2 states away to my dealer for this easy fix. Hope it helps
Brownie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 08:39 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Suggestion to consider on getting air past the door?
Maybe take a look at the door to see if there is room along the bottom of the door edge to drill a bunch of air vents?
Does it stick out from the side enough to let you line a bunch of 1/4 inches, etc. holes up to vent it better?
I tend to do that if it lets me avoid darkening the door to a dealer!

Tags
heater, water heater, water, heat