Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-26-2024, 08:43 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Since I moved my batteries inside the trailer, I now have the ability to cut-off power to the hitch jack as well as the stabilizers. So, they are going to have to really work at it to take mine.
No1Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 06:20 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I do use a master lock, big red casting. Likely easy to break with a hammer, but highly visible from far away!
Wmlunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 08:24 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

I find theft is often done by the lazy folks who don't think too deep!
So if it looks harder to steal what you have than the one next to you, they often go for the one that looks easy!
Most campgrounds have so much easy stuff to pick off the tables, that we never worry them stealing the whole trailer!

If we get into thinking about theft, we need to look at our house first! If you've ever watched a fireman open a front door, you get the idea of how easy it can be.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 05:20 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Also locked x-chocks on the tires may slow them down… the more visible locks the better!!!
Wmlunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 07:21 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I find theft is often done by the lazy folks who don't think too deep!
So if it looks harder to steal what you have than the one next to you, they often go for the one that looks easy!
Most campgrounds have so much easy stuff to pick off the tables, that we never worry them stealing the whole trailer!

If we get into thinking about theft, we need to look at our house first! If you've ever watched a fireman open a front door, you get the idea of how easy it can be.
I don't worry much in a campground unless it is a small one, and we are the only ones there. I am more worried about disbursed campsites, as we are almost never in camp during the day. One reason I have never deployed my portable solar panels. They are way too easy to walk off with.
No1Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 04:46 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

I had TTs from 2005-2017 before I bought my MH. I always thought about trailer hitch locks for when I was unhitched but never did buy one, and never had any problems. On the other hand I don't see any downside as long as you have a backup key.

I've always been nervous about locking a trailer to my tow vehicle in case of a fire or other emergency that necessitated unhitching quickly. I do use a locking hitch pin to lock my towbar to my MH since it's so easy to carry away but I don't lock my toad to the towbar for the same emergency reasons.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote