Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-28-2024, 08:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Dangling Wire Connector 2009 Journey

Hi, I could use some help identifying a dangling wire connector that is behind the rear wheel, passenger side of my 2009, Winnebago Journey. The wire is long enough to touch the ground when the rig is jacked up high enough to remove the dual wheels. The 4 attached pictures might offer hints. I already tried to trace the wire to its origin, but that is proving to be difficult. I am open to any/all ideas, so please offer your best guess.

The RV is not throwing any codes (engine, brakes, etc.).

Thank You!!

By the way, just to head off any concerns about safety. The vehicle is supported by the levelers and 2, 20-ton jack stands (under the frame). The 20-ton bottle jack under the wheel is just a little extra insurance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire Connector Image 4.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	189471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire Connector Image 1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	189472  

Name:	Wire Connector Image 2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	189473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire Connector Image 3.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	189474  

S.T.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2024, 09:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Well, just for fun and games I tried doing a search for RTM harness. Got lots of fun answers but I think it's not for racing, not for marine use, but maybe you are on a Ford chassis?
One would have to chase the harness down to get closer to the right idea, but is it "radio transmitter module" wiring? Anything on the rear wheeels that might seem to fit?
Anti-lock brakes function of some type? I'm missing any connection in my mind!
Folks who might be closer to that group and well of knowledge?
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/rtm-s...19-xlt-541964/

Obvious I'm shooting in the dark and not getting much good from my search!

This is almost certain to be chassis wiring where we get far less help than on the coach/Winnebago wiring.
Winnebago gives us wire ID stamped on wires and a "decoder" chart! But not for the chassis builder wiring!
Winn. wire ID:

Name:	wire ID.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	189476
Decode:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2024, 09:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hi Morich, It's a Freightliner chasses. Great minds think alike: I first looked to see if there is an ABS connection issue, and I do not see a second connection behind the hub (there is one connection going into the rear of the hub, just like the other rear wheel). I also checked to see if there might be a code for the brakes (and any other system). No codes. I will say, when I pulled the RV around the house, the ABS warning light flashed, but went out right away.
Old 07-28-2024, 10:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Freightliner? Humm, that really puts it out of my world!
But thinking of this as a chassis that is normally used on heavy trucking, Would that move it over into something used on them but just wired on all stripped chassis and not used on RV due to much less load? Thinking maybe something like a temperature sensor ofr overheated brakes?
Pure guess, but those square ends on the "pins" in your second picture don't really look practical for plugging into another plug of any sort. I think of tapered or at least rounded pins to he;lp align them.
Any chance of this being a form of temperature sensing that might have an opening on the back of the brake drum, etc. where it should fit in a hole? Maybe something used on a truck hauling cement down a mountain but not considered worth adding the gauges on chassis for RV?

Seems like the more I learn the more I think I don't know anything!
Old 07-28-2024, 10:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Hi Morich, Thank you so much for your responses. I think you may be onto something; it could be an "option" that my rig doesn't have. A diesel mechanic friend had mentioned something similar. I will look on the other side to see if there is another wire that is secured, but not attached to anything. Keep the ideas coming. Thanks again, Steve
Old 07-28-2024, 12:19 PM   #6
Site Team

I might be something important... BUT you should be aware that Winnebago uses generic wiring harnesses for many different but similar coaches. They simply ignore wires and connectors that are not needed for the coach they are building at the moment.

You probably have 60 unused wire connectors or more in your RV. You just haven't found them yet.

But, that doesn't make it so in this instance. But keep an open mind.
Old 07-29-2024, 09:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Still Open to Ideas

Hi Creativepart, Thank you for your reply. Yes, absolutely, I will continue looking for a place for the connection and will consider all ideas that others offer.

I suspect the connection is associated with the Freightliner chasses, but I'm also open to it being part of the "house" systems. If anyone has insights about which system (chasses or house) the connection might belong to, I would love to hear from you.

I'm guessing that the exposed "pins" are some type of sensor. -- Steve
Old 07-29-2024, 09:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I'll look later tonight if it stops raining. I have a 2009 Winnebago Journey
HollywoodGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2024, 10:50 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

A point to know when deciding if it is chassis or Winnebago wiring may help. Winn adds ID stamped near the ends of thier small wires. It matches the standard code they stamp with the last few letters being the ID. So if no code to match their system, it is most likely chassis wiring!
Old 07-29-2024, 11:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Hi Morich, Thank you, that is a good tip. I did look at the Winnebago wire coding list and could not find one that comes close to the codes on the end of the rouge wire.
Old 08-04-2024, 05:52 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Call freightliner help desk. Have the last 5 digits of your Vin and the wiring codes printed on those wires. With the Vin and wire code they can look it up and tell you what it plugs into. You should also ask them to email the complete wiring diagrams for your unit just in case you get an AH having a bad day so you can figure it out for yourself.
Rmuddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey