Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-11-2024, 08:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Leveler alarm is triggered from a big bump...twice.

Twice now the leveler panel on the dash has been triggered after hitting a big bump on a highway. I have so far remedied the situation by hitting the 'Retract all Jacks" button. That stops the beeping and light show on the panel. Not knowing anything about hydraulic levelers could this be occurring due to low fluid in the hydraulic system? Or what?
Old 07-12-2024, 06:33 AM   #2
Site Team

Yes, what you are seeing is most probably low fluid in the reservoir.

You’ll find the reservoir behind the driver’s front wheel. Usually you can get to it via the first compartment on the driver’s side, though on some models you have to remove a panel inside the compartment.

The system takes standard ATF fluid you can find in Walmart or any auto parts store- Type A Dexron III or Mercon IV.

Note: this doesn’t apply to older coaches with HWH levelers. They use a different fluid and have physical sensors on the top of each jack to know when the jacks are up or down.

Your Operator’s Manual should show you how you add fluid via a cap on top of the reservoir. Some have a dip stick others don’t and you just fill it to the top of the reservoir.

You’ll find if the fluid gets lower than what it is now the jacks alarm will go off on turns and smaller bumps.

See the system sends fluid to all the jacks when you activate the levelers. This drops the fluid level in the reservoir. A float in the tank tells the system that the jacks are down and the alarm is triggered. So, when you retract the jacks the fluid returns raising the float in the tanks turning off the alarm. Sometimes seals in your jacks can leak a little fluid and over time the fluid level goes down and the result is what you are seeing.

Make sure when you add fluid that you are parked on a somewhat level surface and your jacks are fully retracted.

I have a known leak in one of my Jack seals. It’s not a lot but enough that I carry a quart of ATF, a funnel and a pair of latex gloves in my front compartment. I have to refill the reservoir after every dozen or so jack usages. Full the fluid is 1/4” from the top of the tank and it only has to drop another 1/4” before the Jack alarms start scaring us every time we hit a bump.
Old 07-12-2024, 02:17 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Mine does this constantly, and my fluid is as full as I can get it. Sometimes just sitting still it will beep 1, 2 or 3 times and flash one or more of the red level lights. Meanwhile the display shows:
READY
JACKS UP

At first I stopped to verify my jacks were all really up, but over the years I've gotten so used to it that I just hit the power button automatically. Or just ignore the blinking lights, since it's just going to do it again anyway. I've checked and cleaned the connections on the controller and the wiring as best I can, and there are no fluid leaks. I think it's a giro issue but I don't really know what I can do about it. LCI support was no help at all. Let me know if you figure something out.
Old 07-12-2024, 09:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

When the store light is lit do not turn off the control panel, wait for it to time-out and shut off. If after 2-3 minutes it has not shut off, manually turn it off
This allows residual line pressure to dissipate back into the reservoir.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2024, 04:16 PM   #5
TheWinndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb View Post
Twice now the leveler panel on the dash has been triggered after hitting a big bump on a highway. I have so far remedied the situation by hitting the 'Retract all Jacks" button. That stops the beeping and light show on the panel. Not knowing anything about hydraulic levelers could this be occurring due to low fluid in the hydraulic system? Or what?

Check you hydraulic level. When the jack are retracted, make sure fluid is at the full level.
rdbrugger46 is offline   Reply With Quote