Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-01-2024, 07:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Second Magnetic Switch on Screen Door

I had my Kwikee step switch fail on a trip; once it would not deploy and then later, would not retract even with the engine running. I'm working thru the Kwikee troubleshooting tips; i may have a control board problem.

But here's my question. My screen door has TWO magnetic switches. The first is what I believe is the more standard; two pieces about 2.5" long, one grey and one black. Just above it, is another switch, much smaller ,about an inch long. I have not traced the wires to the control board; but both go in different plastic conduit. The smaller one ends up being just one wire (green) which I don't see on any of the Kwikee schematics. Could have been an add-on down the road; seems redundant to me given my small understanding of the Kwikee system.

Any thoughts? I can post a picture in the next few days!
spaceboy_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Green is normally a ground wire, that arrangement to me is not logical. Kwikee steps by the controller breaking ground when the high amperage limit is reached, and switching pos and neg for reversing the motor
The very first step is removing and cleaning both ground connections on each of the 2 ground wires.
Next is doing the same for the magnetic reed switch on the stepwell wall. You should have a 2-position step switch near the door to lock the steps out until the ignition key is turned to ACC or ON, make sure those wire connections are also clean and tight.
I always like to do the free things first, then dive deeper into diagnostics if necessary.(kiss principle)
If it turns out you must buy a new controller, it's a good time to upgrade the controller and motor to the the newer IMGL style. Our pre-IMGL old style is getting harder to find as the years pass, but pre-imgl Chinese knockoffs are easy to find on Amazon.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, scr, switch