Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-21-2024, 04:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Tire Pressure New Tires 2016 Vista

I have a 2016 Winnebago Vista and the label in the coach list the tire pressure as 82 PSI Cold.

I just purchased 6 new Toyo M143 245/70R19.5 tires and the Les Schwab inflated the tires to 110 PSI.

I told the technician what the label in the coach said for the tire pressure, he told me these tires were rated to be inflated to 110 PSI Cold and insisted this was the proper tire pressure.

My concern is will the higher tire pressure affect the handling of the coach at 55+ mph in a negative way?

Thanks
DJRVLuvBugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 04:39 PM   #2
Site Team

The Placard stating 82 PSI is the correct tire pressure for the OEM Tires. If the new Toyo's are vastly different then you might want to weigh the coach and use a Toyo weight chart for proper PSI.

But assuming the Toyo's are very close to the OEM tire size then the official tire pressure is the best starting place.

Travel Trailer tires are best set to the Max PSI on the tire side wall and that's likely what the tech was relating - not knowing that motorhomes don't use the Max PSI in normal conditions.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:19 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

My 2015 Vista has the same size tire and the same 82psi on the placard. I run about 85psi in all 4 and the ride is not bad. I would recommend starting at 82psi and then getting it weighed to be sure. Mine was originally set to 95 and it wanted to wander all over the road and was a very unpleasant ride, I can't image how bad 110 would be.
Old 05-21-2024, 09:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I agree that 110 cold is the MAXIMUM inflation pressure for the tire to get the highest load rating possible, NOT what the inflation should be for the actual weight on each tire which is what the pressure label created by Winnebago is.

82 PSI is also what my Winnebago label says, I like to cold inflate 5% higher to 85 PSI to give some head room, as I never want the cold pressure to be less than 82.

If you want to be totally detail oriented you can find a weight to inflation pressure table for your specific Toyos on their web site and use the weights on your Winnebago sticker to confirm that 85 is about the right pressure. The Winnebago pressures are based on the OEM Goodyears that Ford puts on the F53 from the factory.
powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 05:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Smile Thanks Everyone

Thanks everyone for the information and recommendations. I will be downloading the Toyo RV Tire Inflation Chart, as well as, getting my RV weighed. Then inflate my tires to the recommended inflation + 5%.
Old 05-26-2024, 04:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Sticker, always. That or contact the tire manufacturer for the proper pressure for your weight. It's seldom the max on the sidewall as that number is max pressure for maximum weight. If you won't actually weigh your rig, use the GVWR as the estimated weight to determine pressure for that weight.
kvmllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 11:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Toyo Tires on Vista

I have the exact same Toyo tires on my 2016 Vista 30T I put them on 5Kmiles ago, I have them at 82 pounds and monitor them on my Tire Minders. Very pleased how they ride and the control they give me in wind etc. I have driven them in rain, snow and temps at 105 in Arizona. No problems. In real cold weather they drop a couple pounds over night but a few miles down the road they are at 82.
Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 04:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
I have the exact same Toyo tires on my 2016 Vista 30T I put them on 5Kmiles ago, I have them at 82 pounds and monitor them on my Tire Minders. Very pleased how they ride and the control they give me in wind etc. I have driven them in rain, snow and temps at 105 in Arizona. No problems. In real cold weather they drop a couple pounds over night but a few miles down the road they are at 82.
That is great to hear and is very encouraging. Which Tire Minder do you have? I had something similar a few years back, but it never worked well. It wasn't very accurate and always loss communication with the tow. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2024, 07:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

toyo tires

I went from Goodyear to Toyo M143. I started at 82 PSI per Winnebago and the handling was terrible. I went up in 5 PSI increments until I notice the handling get worse at 95 PSI. I then backed down to 90 PSI where I got the best handling. Note, I weighed the rig and this pressure is at the Toyo PSI chart for my weight plus a 5%
2MPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 11:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

LuvBug

I use the brand TireMinder to monitor my 6 coach tires and the four on my toad. They have a transmitter that is attached at the back of my MH that relays the toad pressure up to the dash monitor. I am very happy with them, they give me an alert if a tire gets too high or low on pressure and also the temperature of the tires. I believe it rotates toad to coach about every five seconds,Once I am up and rolling the the back tires get to about 98 pounds and the front about 88\90. I tried various different air pressure but finally went back to 82. I ran Toyos on my DP for 20 years and got about 50 thousand miles on each set.

Hope this answered your Tire Minder questions. I went to the monitors after a friend had a blow out and repairs came to 8K
Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires, tire pressure