Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-16-2024, 08:17 AM   #1
2018 Vista 32YE

Any Starlink Users Out There?

Camp in cell dead zones often and can't get Verizon service.
Looking for real info on Starlink (startup costs, monthly subscription, reliability, etc.
Thanks in advance!
Robert
Sooeey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2024, 07:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We installed about 1.5 years ago and love it. We did the in-motion antenna on roof, cost more, but its great for daughter to watch tv on the road. 99 percent of campsites we have had signal unless a heavy band of trees covering the front of motorhome and blocks signal, we have been surprised how small of an area clear to the sky it needs to still get a signal.
Cost was 2500.00 for antenna kit that has everything you need and service is 150.00 for roam service. You are not guaranteed any speed but we have always had enough bandwidth to stream TV. The only hiccup we had was our dish antenna was up front also, and the Starlink antenna does interfere with DISH signal, so moved Dish antenna to rear of motorhome and fixed that, and then cancelled DISH since Starlink did so well.
Old 07-17-2024, 08:09 AM   #3
2018 Vista 32YE

Mind asking the model of the in motion antenna kit. Would it be possible to easily detach from MH roof so as to use at home when not traveling?
Old 07-18-2024, 07:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

It should be FHPKIT2. If you got a second cable there are 4 screws that hold it on the roof bracket you could do that.
You can also buy the home version antenna for 599.00 and put on same account. The nice part, when not traveling you can pause your Starlink service. If you do the home antenna at fixed location, its only 120.00 per month instead of Roam that is 150.00 per month
Old 07-21-2024, 10:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have the gen 3 standard dish with the separate router and power supply. It cost me a one-time fee of $599 thru Best Buy. I set up my service with the Starlink phone app. I have the Roam plan which costs $150/mo, but I can pause the service and avoid additional monthly fees when I'm not using it. I use an 8ft Flagpole Buddy Starlink gen 3 pole ($210 from Amazon) mounted to my motorhome's rear ladder. The pole is easy to mount and remove from the ground. I routed the dish cable thru my electrical (shore power) compartment and into my rig's bedroom (via a drilled 3/4" hole) where the router and power supply are located. I have 200+mbps dowload and 15+mbps upload speeds (very good speeds). The signal is strong for a 75ft radius of the router. The Flag Buddy pole gets the dish above most obstacles (except thick trees). If needed, I have about 40ft of dish cable for moving the dish to a tree-free spot. But I need to use the ground-level "kickstand" (comes with the dish). I'm extremely happy with the service, bandwidth and speed. It's pricey but if you're in a cell or wifi-excluded area it's worth the price. I use it even when a park wifi is available because of the signal strength, reliabilty and privacy. Elon Musk says this is a beta-plan - no contract and no guarantee against future changes. Starlink is constantly upgrading the hardware and service plans. They just came out with a gen 3 mini dish and optional limited 50 GB service plan for about $50/mo. But I haven't checked the latest reviews about it. There's lots of youtube videos to explain the latest changes plus "how-to" set-ups.
Old 07-22-2024, 06:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

We have the gen 3 portable disg with roaming service. Only issue is with shaded camp sites. You will need to be mindful of tree cover and try to select with a clear view of the sky over a 100 degree arc above the dish. Service works well when you have open sky above the dish.
Richs5122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2024, 04:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Trying to find if i buy the hardware for the standard and use it on roam for 2 mos, can i then use the same hardware and put it on a residential plan. Realize i can start and stop monthly mobile that i cant do with residential, but seems that the hardware is the same?
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2024, 06:54 AM   #8
Site Team

Yes, the hardware is the same, for all plans but the $5,000 per month in-motion at sea plan.

However, I believe there are some Starlink restrictions about moving plans between residential and roaming multiple times. I don’t use Starlink, and their plans change all the time it seems. There are something like 4 Starlink “dishes” and routers but I’m pretty sure they all work for all plans. I’ve never heard that certain hardware only works with certain plans.

Check with Starlink about these, or check on www.rvmobileinternet.com. They track Starlink terms and conditions, as well as all other mobile internet sources on a regular basis.
Old 08-20-2024, 11:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

At this time, the Mini dish plan is the only one offering the $50/mo fee. It's cannot be paused and isn't available with other dishes. It's limited to 50 gigs/mo (then $1 per gig of overage). There's a YouTube video library for newbies: Starlink Hardware. Lots of info there and updates about this ever-evolving technology.
Old 08-21-2024, 08:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote