Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-12-2024, 02:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Bedroom TV fell off wall, 2021 Adventurer

Hi all, our bedroom tv fell off the wall and broke on the way home from our most recent trip, it is the typical W type held on by the bottom groove and 5 screws into the wall on top, hopefully graphic is attached. The 5 screws were simply into the thin plywood / Luan of the side wall. so I'd like to re-attach the new TV more firmly.

I plan to get a 3/4 inch wide by 1/8" thick steel piece and gorilla glue or maybe VHB tape it to the wall, then put sheet metal screws into it to hold the tv. Before doing so, just checking if anyone has any feedback on the long term effectiveness of this method or a better way to re-mount?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-07-12 155954.png
Views:	24
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	189388  
Yooper375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2024, 10:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

First I might say that this is not a firm suggestion but something to look over onsite to see how it might apply!
I wouold say that glues or adhesives of any type might not work due to the leverage the current mount has. Glues are strong but tend to be brittle. Something like a rock?
But if we hit a rock long enough and hard enough it eventually snaps!

I see the major problem being the way the TV is left hanging on the mount but a long way from the wall. That means each time you hit a bump, the TV is jerking down on the mount and has quite a lot of leverage. Somewhat like making the TV bounce much heavier/stronger or however we want to speak of it? Kind of like it has a crowbar to pull on the part mounted to the wall?
That makes any fastener in the thin wall, really doing a tough job!

Suggestions to look over. Any way to remount the TV, so it can be closer to the wall with less strain each time it bounces? That would be my first thought but are there things in the way to block view, etc. making that not practical?
A second thought would be to use a different fastener---if it has to be the same mount and same place.
One way to get more grip is to use something like mollies or toggles to attach to the wall. While a set of screws will pull out of the thin plywood, a fasterner that goes in and expands on the back to make a much larger support on the back of the wall will last much longer!
Are you familiar with mollies?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Li...0533/317693449
I would expect to them in less than a 50 pack! But they can be a bit of trick when dealing with foam under the plywood, if they are not something you've worked with.
Basic idea is that you drive them into the wall and first tighten the screw down a bit. As you turn the screw the bottom part where the yellow is will move forward and fold the sides out behind the wall. The trick is going to be getting the right length of mollie to match the thickness of the wall. Then there is likely to be a bit of trouble forcing the foam out of the way as it folds.
Once you have the mollies expanded behind the wall, back the screws all the way out and run them through the plated and back into the molly body!

One of the main hazards in this is not to tighten the screw too far and break the head off!

Remember when lots of offices had plywood walls over foamboard and the phones were screwed to the wall? I was one of THOSE guys and got lots of time screwing up peoples walls!
Interesting problems were an everyday affair. But on the good side, you always knew where your phone was going to be. It never slid down in the crack on the couch!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 12:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper375 View Post
Hi all, our bedroom tv fell off the wall and broke on the way home from our most recent trip, it is the typical W type held on by the bottom groove and 5 screws into the wall on top, hopefully graphic is attached. The 5 screws were simply into the thin plywood / Luan of the side wall. so I'd like to re-attach the new TV more firmly.

I plan to get a 3/4 inch wide by 1/8" thick steel piece and gorilla glue or maybe VHB tape it to the wall, then put sheet metal screws into it to hold the tv. Before doing so, just checking if anyone has any feedback on the long term effectiveness of this method or a better way to re-mount?
Actual pictures would be better unless everyone had the same Adventurer.

Are you saying the bottom mount came loose or just the top? The screws should have been in stud so they may have simply missed. I would pull out the stud finder and find the studs. If the bottom screws for the lip mount is fine then the top will be as well when you find the stud.

Note: You may need to drill new hole in the bracket, but I am guessing without seeing. I would not try any glue

I don't think it needs an over engineered solution, just find out how it was installed wrong, We got a 40" Samsung TV extended over the wall. I have taken down several times to put in my own TV over the Insignia and to rerun wiring for things like Vision etc. Glue sounds permanent, don't ruin your wall.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3/Tire Patrol; Roadmaster Nighthawk; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; 300ah Lithium; Orion XS; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2024, 05:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Same thing happened to me

Remounted using plastic expandable inserts and appropriate screws in the original holes. Has lasted well over a year and about 5000 miles. I check tightness periodically. So far so good.
eaglelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 08:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Circling back to close out this concern..

Mounted a new Samsung 32 inch HDTV to replace my broken one. Had planned to use some petal nuts (similar concept to mollies) in the luan type wall to remount, but to my surprise discovered that the original screws were all screwed into a metal brace inside the wall... not sure why they loosened but simply bought larger metal screws and re-mounted.... will monitor them closely for looseness in the future, so far so problem... I couldn't find any other posts complaining of the same problem so I'm hoping will be OK... guessing previous owner probably removed for some reason, didn't re-install correctly... we'll see...
Old 08-10-2024, 09:44 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Mounted a new Samsung 32 inch HDTV to replace my broken one. Had planned to use some petal nuts (similar concept to mollies) in the luan type wall to remount, but to my surprise discovered that the original screws were all screwed into a metal brace inside the wall... not sure why they loosened but simply bought larger metal screws and re-mounted.... will monitor them closely for looseness in the future, so far so problem... I couldn't find any other posts complaining of the same problem so I'm hoping will be OK... guessing previous owner probably removed for some reason, didn't re-install correctly... we'll see...
I love Samsung TVs. WBGO offered to replace our Insignia under warranty. I thanked them but declined and bought 40" Samsung. It has been 5 years now. Unfortunately the other two Insiginas have not failed yet. Sounds like from your findings, I need to unloosen some screws and just wait
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230515_171207.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	189555  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3/Tire Patrol; Roadmaster Nighthawk; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; 300ah Lithium; Orion XS; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2024, 03:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:

I was going to mention the metal mounting pad, thinking Winnebago had somehow missed it with a screw or two. In addition to larger screws, I'd use Loctite or other thread locking compound to keep them from loosening. Just be sure to use the type that's designed for removal. I'm wondering if that had been the problem and the original screws had loosened on their own.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=loctite&h...l_42ews33yc5_e
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2024, 08:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Ha, yes... the original TVS were ATyme dumb 720p's. All have been replaced. The original 40" in the living room was replaced by the previous owner with an LG 4k Smart TV. I replaced my 32" outdoor tv with a Samsung 1080p Smart TV last year, so I replaced the broken bedroom one with the exact same Samsung for simplicity. I do like them better than the ATymes, they seem to work better with the Amazon stick, PC connections I have, and am able to mirror my Samsung phone easily.

Good idea, will try Loctite if they loosen, or I've also heard that just using silicone sealant also works well as its just a thin sheet metal piece the screws go into, not much area for the Loctite to connect to...

Tags
adventurer, vent