Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-07-2024, 01:50 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
I have a 2000 Journey motorhome. The tank is mounted in front of the battery compartment, passenger side. I went to a propane dealer in town (Cordele, GA) and asked if he could come fill my tank. He told me he could but they didn't because one time there hose connector got stuck on one of the tanks and they had a hard time getting it off. He said something about a feedback valve or something caused it to stick. He said a lot of motorhomes had that problem so they did not fill the tanks.
He is either incompetent or hired someone who was. My house has LP heat, when they come to fill the house tank, if I remember to put the RV out near it they will top it off too. They have been doing it for years with no problems.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 04:43 PM   #22
Winnebago 36G Journey

It wasn't a lack of interest. He fills propane tanks at your home. Mine is similar to a home propane take with the same attachment a home propane uses. He just said his hose would not release from the tank on the motorhome after he filled it. He is a dealer that my parents used for a long time before they passed. I used him after that. We come from a small town so everybody knows everyone or just about everyone of any importance to you.
Rodger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 05:53 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Well, then we might have to look for other reasons as he obviously was not interested in looking at your problem and finding why they might have had trouble in some case in the past!
Maybe he was just having a bad day, etc. but I have never found a propane dealer who had any trouble filling any of the many RV we have used all across the country.

Maybe he just got back from his team losing the big game, you wore the wrong shirt for that day of the week or maybe he is just getting tired of doing the paperwork for a small sale of that size.

Whatever the reason, maybe the correct things to say was that he did not try too hard to find out what was needed to fill your tank at that time. Beyond that, it's just a guess until you ask him again and get a better explanation.

But for most folks who do any type service work, figuring out why they had trouble is just a daily routine and they better get used to it if they want to keep dragging in business.
Maybe he has moved on and got way bigger fish to fry now and doesn't need the small stuff? I ran into that with big gas dealers when first looking for folks to refill O2 bottles for fish tanks. They were just not interested in walkin foot traffic that took more to fill one bottle on the spot than it took to ship out 20-30 tanks!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 09:22 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
It wasn't a lack of interest. He fills propane tanks at your home. Mine is similar to a home propane take with the same attachment a home propane uses. He just said his hose would not release from the tank on the motorhome after he filled it. He is a dealer that my parents used for a long time before they passed. I used him after that. We come from a small town so everybody knows everyone or just about everyone of any importance to you.
ASME LP tanks on MH"s have a different fill fitting and require a fill adapter. It is expensive so not all LP suppliers have one.
If he tried to attach the residential tank nozzle to a MH tank, I understand why his got stuck
This is the RV LP fill valve: https://www.amazon.com/Manchester-V1.../dp/B004A34568 Zoom in on the valve, then compare what you see to your residential tank fill valve..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 10:13 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
ASME LP tanks on MH"s have a different fill fitting and require a fill adapter. It is expensive so not all LP suppliers have one.
If he tried to attach the residential tank nozzle to a MH tank, I understand why his got stuck
This is the RV LP fill valve: https://www.amazon.com/Manchester-V1.../dp/B004A34568 Zoom in on the valve, then compare what you see to your residential tank fill valve..
Good point, Ray!
I walked right by thinking of a propane guy who could not spot what fitting to go with what hose connectors he had!

Kind of like asking a carpenter which hammer to use when driving nails or breaking up concrete! If he doesn't know, maybe he shouldn't!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank