Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-08-2024, 04:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Kitchen sink fell out - 2020 Minnie Winnie 31h

Hi all! On our last trip, evidently we stored too much stuff in the sink as we were driving. It was also super hot in the camper as well. When we got to our destination, we saw that the kitchen sink had fallen down out of the countertop.

This will be the first repair I do on my own since we've had it. If anyone has any experience with this or tips I'd greatly appreciate them!

Safe travels!
-Aaron
Aaron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 05:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Aaron,
So odd. 2020 was the first year that Winnebago started installing Corian® solid surface countertops. I wonder if it was cut too far open and thermal expansion caused the sink to fall-out. Can you provide pictures?
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
P.S. Please contact Winnebago to see if they have an updated cut-pattern for the kitchen countertop.
Old 08-08-2024, 05:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

My first guess would be that the sink was thin metal to save weight and with the added weight stored in it, the sink may have folded !

I once made the mistake of hiring an ambious, young, college student to paint his apartment! Young and ambious doesn't make you smart and he stood in the sink!

At least he was not permanently injured. He did mention that he might never have kids, though, as one foot was in the sink when it collapsed and one outside the cabinet!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 11:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you! I didn't take pictures when it happened, but I'll go out to the coach and take pictures hopefully tomorrow. It looked like there was a bracket that came loose out of a particleboard frame. I'll get a picture of that too. Thanks for the offers of help!

--
Aaron
2020 Minnie Winnie 31h
Aaron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 07:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Undermount sink failure

The sink in my 2022 Micro Minnie fell out a couple of weeks ago. The screws holding the four support brackets were loose. We have not put anything heavy in the sink while traveling or using it. Wood screws like to come loose under load. I tightened the loose screws, added four more brackets underneath, and bonded in four sections of 1/2” x 1/2” aluminum as shown in the photo. It took two hours of gentle scraping to remove the old silicone but this was necessary to get a good bond. Nothing sticks to old silicone.
My repair is working well. I suggest all of those with undermount sinks tighten the screws underneath regularly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2796.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	472.4 KB
ID:	189542  
Thindirtline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 09:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thindirtline View Post
The sink in my 2022 Micro Minnie fell out a couple of weeks ago. The screws holding the four support brackets were loose. We have not put anything heavy in the sink while traveling or using it. Wood screws like to come loose under load. I tightened the loose screws, added four more brackets underneath, and bonded in four sections of 1/2” x 1/2” aluminum as shown in the photo. It took two hours of gentle scraping to remove the old silicone but this was necessary to get a good bond. Nothing sticks to old silicone.
My repair is working well. I suggest all of those with undermount sinks tighten the screws underneath regularly.
This sounds like a very good idea of what can go wrong on RV sinks!
One big problem if it is particle board is the way it tends to dry and crumble! It is not a good solid item that a screw of any kind can get a grip in for long term if it takes much jarring around like an RV!

I might do another ad for my favorite tool, though! Taking that old caulk off goes much better and faster if using an oscillating tool!
I will never work any type of body work on Rv without one!
It makes that gentle scraping much less tedious and much faster as the tool doesn't require a lot of pressure but works by making tiny cuts/bumps that is is really just more a matter of guiding it instead of working to force it along the path.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tou...0&from=/search
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2024, 07:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
My first guess would be that the sink was thin metal to save weight and with the added weight stored in it, the sink may have folded !

I once made the mistake of hiring an ambious, young, college student to paint his apartment! Young and ambious doesn't make you smart and he stood in the sink!

At least he was not permanently injured. He did mention that he might never have kids, though, as one foot was in the sink when it collapsed and one outside the cabinet!
That's mother nature's way of weeding the idiots out of the gene pool.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote