Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-29-2022, 01:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Tank Sensor Behavior knowledge

I’m seeking some wisdom regarding the following scenario,…

New Micro Minnie FLX
  • Dealer noted fresh water sensor reading “E” during their PDI, said other wise unit was “fine”, but we needed a new panel, we took delivery, they ordered panel.
  • Home testing - filled fresh and showed “1/3” (although full)
  • 1st trip - end of trip we noted Black and Grey tank levels remained “E” on panel even though clearly Not empty. (grey had backed up into shower) No change after dumping.
  • Dry camping - end of trip Grey showed “2/3”, Black “E”. (These seem reasonable) Fresh moved from (2/3) to “E” (also reasonable). After dumping all showed “E”
  • Last trip - status reported seemed “normal” End of trip Grey showed “F” prior to dumping, Blk showed “2/3” prior to dumping and both went to “E” after dumping.
It appears, from last trip, that status reporting is correct (as correct as an external inductive 3 sensor system provides).

Panel is still on order, but do I need it? (I’m of the ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ camp). However, I would like to have some assurance, or theory, as to how this system would have “fixed” its self.

Any thoughts, suggestions, shots in the dark, appreciated.

Thanks,
- steve
SactoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 08:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2022 2306BHS. My Fresh Water is always showing 'E' even though I know it's full. Tested it at my house. It's very frustrating. I'm thinking about ordering the Mopeka sensors on Amazon.
Leinhauser01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 10:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoSteve View Post
I’m seeking some wisdom regarding the following scenario,…

New Micro Minnie FLX
  • Dealer noted fresh water sensor reading “E” during their PDI, said other wise unit was “fine”, but we needed a new panel, we took delivery, they ordered panel.
  • Home testing - filled fresh and showed “1/3” (although full)
  • 1st trip - end of trip we noted Black and Grey tank levels remained “E” on panel even though clearly Not empty. (grey had backed up into shower) No change after dumping.
  • Dry camping - end of trip Grey showed “2/3”, Black “E”. (These seem reasonable) Fresh moved from (2/3) to “E” (also reasonable). After dumping all showed “E”
  • Last trip - status reported seemed “normal” End of trip Grey showed “F” prior to dumping, Blk showed “2/3” prior to dumping and both went to “E” after dumping.
It appears, from last trip, that status reporting is correct (as correct as an external inductive 3 sensor system provides).

Panel is still on order, but do I need it? (I’m of the ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ camp). However, I would like to have some assurance, or theory, as to how this system would have “fixed” its self.

Any thoughts, suggestions, shots in the dark, appreciated.

Thanks,
- steve

Was this a new RV or used? It could be that just using it cleaned up the sensors enough that they could work
Old 06-09-2023, 10:54 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Steve, it almost sounds like an intermittent electrical connection. Could be on the panel or with the wiring. I would take the new panel and ask to keep the old one.

Tim, these are external sensor pads that stick to the outside of the tank with adhesive. I don't think there would be any cleaning involved.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 11:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Actually every time your black tank is filled with waste and especially urine, a layer of material remains when you dump. This material turns into what is called struvite and is builds similar to rolling paint onto a wall. Thorough flushing of your black tank helps, but sometimes it builds up enough to interfere with the signals from those non contact sensors, as well as the probe type. There are a few companies (franchises) that provide pressure cleaning services. Check youtube for some videos out there.
Old 06-09-2023, 12:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

The sensor failing question is as old as RV! They have been the source of as much discussion as anything I can think of on RV and there still seems to be no end of the complaints.
I have filed the idea of "fixing" them in one to put way out of sight as there seems to be no real answers at this points. Or maybe I should say nor real answers that works for everybody? There are actually more answers than there are users, just that a lot of them do not work for the next guy top try them!
The "new" type from Amazon?
If it's the one we just had a discussiopn about them being faulty because they don't take into account the the tank shape changes the answers! Winnebago is semi-famous for doing their own tank shapes to get the best use of space as well as functions like dumping, so they also make the bottom slope. A sloped bottom or shape which varies as you go higher, will make any reading taken through the tank bottom go off at different levels of fill!
I've read tons of solutions but none that work for everybody long term!
I find the through the wall sensors are a big improvement over the probes going inside.
But they both fail when they either get covered with muck or soap scum or simply corrode!
I find the inside of a black tank is going to be a hard spot to keep clean for very long!
Reference:
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3937745
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 04:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I wish there was a way to delete old threads.

This was last year and a brand new FLX. Dealer said during their inspection they found that we needed a new panel. I asked a bunch of questions they couldn’t answer. Like how did you determine the panel was bad? How about the sensors? They said they “tested” the sensors. I asked how and they couldn’t explain. Any way, we said we’d take delivery. They said they’d order the panel. I don’t believe it ever did come in.

Sure enough things cleared up.

Ps, we don’t use that service center any more.😉

Black tank flush is a nice feature. 👍

-steve
SactoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, tank