Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-23-2024, 01:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Under sink water filter leaks while winterizing

Our operator manual very clearly states that we should remove the under sink water filter prior to going through the winterizing steps (see attached image).
But when we do that, and then either run water or proceed with the winterization steps, water/antifreeze sprays out the bottom of the assembly that the water filter attaches to.

I see that there is that swiveling valve atop the assembly, but it seems no matter which position I put that valve in, the spraying still happens. (see attached photos of the assembly from the sides, the valve, and the bottom of the assembly.)

Am I doing something wrong here? Maybe I'm not forcing the valve shut enough?

I am also including photos of the filter itself, just for reference.

I am hoping to not have to just leave the filter in place (i.e. sacrificing it by filling it with antifreeze) so that I can get my winterization done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	instr.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	190187   Click image for larger version

Name:	filterhousing2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	190188  

Name:	filterhousing1.jpg
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	190189   Click image for larger version

Name:	housingbottom.jpg
Size:	455.4 KB
ID:	190190  

Name:	filterfont.jpg
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	190191   Click image for larger version

Name:	filterback.jpg
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	190192  

Old 10-23-2024, 02:03 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The way these usually work is that you unscrew the cannister from the top section then remove the filter element from the cannister. Finally you screw the cannister back into the top section without the filter element installed. Is that what you are doing and it is still leaking? Usually there is also a rubber ring type gasket that is on the top of the cannister.

EDIT: It looks like your filter is not of the type that I described above so ignore my comments.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2024, 02:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones2003 View Post
The way these usually work is that you unscrew the cannister from the top section then remove the filter element from the cannister. Finally you screw the cannister back into the top section without the filter element installed. Is that what you are doing and it is still leaking? Usually there is also a rubber ring type gasket that is on the top of the cannister.

EDIT: It looks like your filter is not of the type that I described above so ignore my comments.
Yeah, the canister definitely doesn't open. It's got to be that valve on top that's supposed to do .... something. :(
Old 10-23-2024, 02:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The solution?....

Hmmmm, from what I'm reading HERE, I'm now starting to suspect that the valve is only there for the purpose of replacing the filter cartridge and isn't meant to hold back water when pressurized under running water with the water pump. Looks like I might need one of THESE.

Is that correct?

If so, I guess I gotta run antifreeze through my filter for now (winterizing needs to happen where I am by the weekend) because the plug won't arrive in time.
Old 10-23-2024, 03:35 PM   #5
Site Team

Your RV came with a plug that you insert instead of the filter when you remove the filter. Mine is bright blue and was inside the briefcase that contains all the Operator's manuals, etc.

If you don't have one, perhaps you can order on from Lichtsinn RV in Iowa. Here's a link to their Parts website:
https://www.lichtsinn.com/rv-parts
Old 10-23-2024, 03:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Rodimus View Post
Hmmmm, from what I'm reading HERE, I'm now starting to suspect that the valve is only there for the purpose of replacing the filter cartridge and isn't meant to hold back water when pressurized under running water with the water pump. Looks like I might need one of THESE.

Is that correct?...
Yes, that's the correct plug to insert when the filter is removed. Your coach should have come with one, but it may have been misplaced before it got to you.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2024, 07:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Is that correct?

If so, I guess I gotta run antifreeze through my filter for now (winterizing needs to happen where I am by the weekend) because the plug won't arrive in time.
The lever/handle does need an extra push when it begins to feel like it is getting tight, mine does anyway. It should totally seal off the filter, which removes by a ½-turn clockwise, then drops out, but mine requires a down-pull to remove it from the housing.

You can remove that mineral build-up inside the housing with a shallow container of 50/50 vinegar and water, let soak overnight. This also sterilizes the head housing..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I couldn't take my filter off witbout spilling water in the sink cabinet, so I removed it, housing and all, and put in a water line with connectors already attached (it is made for connecting a toilet to a water line). I have used an external, in-line filter system to filter the water going into all our RVs, whether into the fresh tank or the city water connection to prevent hard water scale from forming in the PEX lines. So under-sink filter cartridges were an uneeded duplicate expense. And we drink city water at home, so double-filtered water was not something we cared about.
Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanrgs View Post
I have used an external, in-line filter system to filter the water going into all our RVs, whether into the fresh tank or the city water connection to prevent hard water scale from forming in the PEX lines.
While I'm very sure that your external filter does a great job with lots of unwanted contaminants, I have serious doubts that it can "prevent hard water scale." That's a job for a water softener.

But if it works for you... then great.
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Mine has a plug which resembles just the top end of the water filter
Greg121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM   #11
1996 Itasca 29Q

Quote:
Yeah, the canister definitely doesn't open. It's got to be that valve on top that's supposed to do .... something. :(
The filter should be replaced every six months or so, use the old one for winterizing and a new one in the spring!
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
While I'm very sure that your external filter does a great job with lots of unwanted contaminants, I have serious doubts that it can "prevent hard water scale." That's a job for a water softener.

But if it works for you... then great.
I use an 10" inline Camco Taste Pure water filter that takes out sediment, metals, bacteria, odor, etc., followed by 7" inline antiscale filter. Easy, inexpensive, and has been doing a great job for many years of ownership of 3 RVs.
Fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, leaks, water, winter