Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-29-2024, 09:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Water heater Bi-Pass Valve Location 2020 Voyage 3538BR

I have a 2020 Voyage 3538BR Travel Trailer. I cannot find the Water Heater Bi-pass valves so i can sanitize the water system without running the bleach through the water heater. My manual is very generic and gives not schematic of where anything is.
Hunter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2024, 10:20 AM   #2
Site Team

Greetings Hunter01,
My Minnie Winnie 22M does not have a hot water heater bypass valve; perhaps yours also lacks this feature?
When I sanitize my water system, I also sanitize my hot water tank:
  1. drain the hot water tank
  2. add ¼ cup of bleach (for every 15 gallons) to the fill hose
  3. fill the fresh water tank
  4. run the hot water tap with the water pump to re-fill the hot water tank
  5. purge all other lines to make sure I smell bleach
  6. top-off the fresh water tank
  7. let sit for four hours
  8. drain the hot water tank
  9. drain the fresh water tank
  10. refill the fresh water tank
  11. run the hot water tap with the water pump to re-fill the hot water tank (or use City Fill)
  12. purge all other lines to make sure I no longer smell bleach

Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 07-29-2024, 11:05 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the info, so you don't have an issue with running the bleach through the water heater and corrosion? Thats why I was trying to avoid the water heater.
Old 07-29-2024, 11:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

So no issues with corrosion in the Hot Water heater running the bleach water through it? That is why I was looking to bi-pass it.
Old 07-29-2024, 03:08 PM   #5
Site Team

Hi Hunter01,
It is so dilute and only in there for four hours, I cannot imagine it would corrode the hot water tank. Have you heard of this happening elsewhere?
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 07-29-2024, 05:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Some thoughts on what type of tank may also help as there are two common types in use. One is lined so that the water never actually stands in the metal, so no corrosion. The other type/brand is somewhat more prone to corrosion, so uses an anode rod as it corrodes and is replaceable rather than the tank corrode.

If your water heater has no anode rod when you pull the plug the smallish concern about the chlorine and tank corrosion is pretty well nill!

But the reason for bypassing the tanks is still a good idea. One is that it takes far less time and bleach to do the job if we don't have to fill the tank. Since the heat is very good at sanitizing the tank we don't have much reason for doing it!
Chlorine at strong concentrations can react with metal like iron and steel but if we think of how long the old metal pipes last with chlorine treated water setting in them 24/7 we can begin to get a different view of the amount of corrosion we are likely to get at a bit stronger level we use to sanitize. Stronger, yes, but for a very short time compared to how long the old steel pipes are exposed!

I agree that keeping the chlorine out of the water heater may be preferred but it is not a big enough hazard to worry about the tank life.

And as an alternate, if it is something you do want to change, there are bypass kits to add to the back of the water heater if it is not prepped with one!
Different types/brands and prices to choose but this might be a handy one to find?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-RV-...35983/21781705

I would first want to verify that I don't have one and look at what it might take to get to the rear of the heater!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2024, 08:37 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter01 View Post
My manual is very generic and gives not schematic of where anything is.
The Travel Trailer industry has historically not provided manuals and relies on dealers and other sellers to pass on specifics. Winnebago's motorhome division provides detailed manuals and diagrams for all of their products. But, when Winnebago got into the TT business in 2010 they purchased the Sunnybrook trailer company in Indiana and adopted Sunnybrook's approach of providing next to no printed documentation.

You can however contact Winnebago Towables division Customer Care and ask them for plumbing, electrical, and structural info to be emailed to you. NOTE: It's best to call them on the phone, they don't seem very good at answering emails sent to them. Here's their contact info:

Winnebago Towables
Customer Care (574) 825-8052

Winnebago of Indiana
201 14th Street
Middlebury, IN 46540

Tags
heater, water heater, water, cat, heat, voyage