Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-10-2024, 03:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Air conditioning can’t keep up 2020 View 24D

2020 Winnabago view 24d
In temps 90+ cannot get inside coach air temps below 80+. Once dark outside then I can get temps in the 70’s.

Not happy with this.
Anybody else have same issues?
This is after running air for ENTIRE day
Bobbettyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2024, 04:53 PM   #2
Site Team

Very common situation in +90 degree temps. You must start the day with coach very cold, then park it out of the sun as much as possible. Block all windows and skylights with reflective materials.

Drive with the generator running so the A/C can keep things cool while driving.

Then drive the RV to where the temps aren’t as hot.

That’s about all you an do. It’s not just your RV… it’s all RVs and travel trailers, too.
Old 08-10-2024, 05:00 PM   #3
Site Team

Hi Bobbettyl,
I would expect you could pull a 20°F differential with a View, so just a 10°F differential indicates that something is wrong:
  1. Have the coils frozen-up from continuous running in a high-humidity area?
  2. Is your return-air filter plugged?
If not one of these two things, it sounds like your air conditioner needs to be replaced.
Eagle5
Old 08-10-2024, 06:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi Bobbettyl,
I would expect you could pull a 20°F differential with a View, so just a 10°F differential indicates that something is wrong:
  1. Have the coils frozen-up from continuous running in a high-humidity area?
  2. Is your return-air filter plugged?
If not one of these two things, it sounds like your air conditioner needs to be replaced.
Eagle5
I would add to your list_ dirty/clogged heat exchanger coils can cause this; as well as the divider between chilled and return air is not sealed and leaking.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2024, 06:48 PM   #5
Site Team

While there may be an issue, in my experience when you get into the mid-90's it's not unusual late in the afternoon for the internal temps to climb to 80 inside.

We live where it's mid to upper 90's 7 to 8 months of the year and we have two 15K BTU A/Cs and it's not unusual at all to see 78-80 degree inside with both A/Cs running all day. The better we are at blocking the sun the better we do. And, if we let the temps climb earlier in the day it's hard to recover until the sun sets.

Yes, all the things everyone mentioned can be an issue. But try this, in the afternoon when it's 90+ outside, put an instant read thermometer - like a meat thermometer - directly into the A/C output and see the temp. If nothing's wrong with your A/C it will be 20-23 degrees colder than then outside temp. Then you'll know for sure if you have an issue with your A/C unit or not.
Old 08-10-2024, 10:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
While there may be an issue, in my experience when you get into the mid-90's it's not unusual late in the afternoon for the internal temps to climb to 80 inside.

We live where it's mid to upper 90's 7 to 8 months of the year and we have two 15K BTU A/Cs and it's not unusual at all to see 78-80 degree inside with both A/Cs running all day. The better we are at blocking the sun the better we do. And, if we let the temps climb earlier in the day it's hard to recover until the sun sets.

Yes, all the things everyone mentioned can be an issue. But try this, in the afternoon when it's 90+ outside, put an instant read thermometer - like a meat thermometer - directly into the A/C output and see the temp. If nothing's wrong with your A/C it will be 20-23 degrees colder than then outside temp. Then you'll know for sure if you have an issue with your A/C unit or not.

A clearer text will be "20-23° lower than the RV"s inside air temperature". outside air temperature has nothing to do with the Delta of the air conditioner.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2024, 02:29 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Bobbetty

I am going to go a different direction than my fellow posters are going. Lets say your AC is working the way it should. I take it you have just one unit most likely a 15000 btu unit. What steps have you taken to help keep the heat out of your unit.

Every piece of glass becomes a larger than life magnifying glass. You need to address that issue with reflective material of some sort. We found a very easy to work with reflective see through material at large fabric stores. Making an extra curtain for the windshield helped alot. Add extra reflective material to the windows facing west. I found alot of cold air goes out the roof exhaust vents. Either purchase or make a inside insert for those vents. I had forgotten all about the entry door. One day last year upon leaving the coach I realized how hot it was right by the door opposed to the rest of the coach. Once I put up reflective material over the window things seemed cooler.

Basically what I am saying is you need to go above and beyond measures to help your AC out. Thats providing the AC is working as it should.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2024, 07:01 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
A clearer text will be "20-23° lower than the RV"s inside air temperature". outside air temperature has nothing to do with the Delta of the air conditioner.
Absolutely, I misspoke on that one. Thanks Ray.
Old 08-11-2024, 08:21 AM   #9
Living The Dream

I’ve taken the following measures to significantly improve the comfort level in our 2018 D (all have contributed to our satisfaction, some likely more than others):

-Applied “KoolRV” product into the Coleman Mach 10 plenum (took a little modification .. air flow is improved and sound is reduced)
-purchased a custom fit reflective windshield cover (inside of windshield item)
-installed outside A&E pull down awnings for both the large side windows
-created Reflectix covers for door window, MaxxFan, shower skylight, bathroom window, slide window, upper bunk window
-lined back of inside cabinets, upper and lower, with Reflectix (kitchen up and down, over dinette, over Murphy bed, bathroom medicine cabinet and under lavatory, back of pantry)
-pulled refrigerator and lined back wall with Reflectix
-replaced funky Venetian blind over the kitchen counter with MCD dual blind (like the dinette window has)
-replaced funky Venetian blind on bathroom window with mutli-cell pull down blind
-tinted cab door windows (was going to also make Reflectix panels for them to fit between the windows and the Remi Shades .. never did .. may still do that)

We clear AC intake filters of lint, like every couple of days. When it’s super hot outside, we close the bathroom AC vent and keep the door closed. Also have two small circular fans that can help with circulation.

So … bit of effort and it now remains comfortable, even in Needles when it was about 115° out and we had no shade.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2024, 10:43 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have a white cover for windshield and side windows, I keep reflex on the rear windows. When I bought the View G the AC was not working well. I had it replaced at the dealer.,
Before that I cleaned out my vents, taped the area around the intake with silver tape. My airflow is not great,
When driving in hot weather use the AC as the dash ac will not keep it cool.
Go to Utube and read up on fixes.
Old 08-11-2024, 10:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

What fixes were needed to the cool rv to install. I have read the UTube installs.
They do not show a View on their site for the Max 8.
Old 08-11-2024, 11:23 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

My new solution? Take a nap from 3 - 6 or so and then celebrate cocktail hour as things slowly start to cool down...
Creativepart pretty much nails it from my perspective as well, though I do get a larger delta on ac temp at the vents vs. ambient outside temp...closer to 40 degrees. Still end up with basically same overall indoor temp at the thermostats.
Old 08-11-2024, 02:21 PM   #13
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffie Drink View Post
What fixes were needed to the cool rv to install. I have read the UTube installs.
To install the KoolRV device, I had to trim both outflow ends to fit the View duct inlets. Their instructions pretty much addressed that, so it wasn’t difficult. Glad I installed it, nice improvement. While the air flow is better, we are really happy about the reduced noise.

I’m not sure about the Mach 8 install. Ours is a Mach 10. Perhaps someone here can speak to your particular model, or maybe the KoolRV folks.

Good luck
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2024, 03:38 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffie Drink View Post
It depends a lot on your plenum depth. I don't have a View but I have a Mach 8 on a Via and my plenum is not deep enough to fit the KoolRV product but it was fairly easy to build diverters in the plenum with sheet metal, and a pyramid on the bottom. If you're interested I'll post my pics, it definitely gave me better air flow. After I did mine I saw one on You Tube where they did it with 1" foam board, but that wouldn't work for my as there was no space under my ducts for 1" foam.
Old 08-21-2024, 04:26 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

My two cents. Encountered a similar problem in Las Vegas a few years ago. Installed reflextix, etc. All of which helped. After looking at other DIY solutions and costly add-on's, I decided to make my own. This plenum duct connects the blower output directly to the two interior ducts in a smooth fashion. Once the duct is taped into place, it also eliminates the baffle that blocks some of the incoming return air, improving air flow even more. Altogether the solution cost about $25 worth of material and a few hours of time. Installed on Coleman Mach 10 and 15, they work very well for us.

OR, you could try one of these ShadeRV units (very pricey and I'd be concerned about windy days and reviews are mixed): https://www.shaderv.com/
Old 08-21-2024, 04:27 PM   #16
Vietnam Veteran 1967-1970

Airconditioning

We had a 34 foot Sightseer, dual 1500btu, Navion 1500btu and now a Winnie Minnie 26t, 28.5 feet. They ALL WORKED VERY HARD in Las Vegas in 110 deg. Weather. 90+ deg. In AL.
What REALLY HELPED was, we bought a small Dehumidifier, table top. WORLD of difference. The air conditioner worked much less, got cooler sooner AND maintained the cooler temp.
Your probably thinking, there may be humidity in AL but NOT Vegas. Think again. It works and maybe not 20 plus deg. less, but It felt cooler and the air conditioner worked much easier.
What do you have to lose ? Make sure your AC IS WORKING PROPERLY.
LET US KNOW !!
GBFANKEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 04:28 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Air conditioning can’t keep up 2020 View

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbettyl View Post
2020 Winnabago view 24d
In temps 90+ cannot get inside coach air temps below 80+. Once dark outside then I can get temps in the 70’s.

Not happy with this.
Anybody else have same issues?
This is after running air for ENTIRE day
Yes we have the same exact coach with the same problem we were in Missouri in June 9-15 it was a high of 89 and we burned up all day at night it would cool off once the sun went down
This coach is poorly insulated the rear wall in the bathroom has no insulation in it and is just the thickness of the outside wall and inside wall total.
There a so many air leaks we usually put the inserts in the windshield and side windows in the cab plus we have a room darkening curtains hung from the ceiling to the floor behind the driver and passenger seats just help block out having to cool that area too.
Yes this is a true WINNEBAGO screw up they should be recalling these coaches and fixing this problem but that won’t ever happen.
I tested my unit the other day it was 102 F outside 90 inside unit was pushing out 67 degree supply air and 90 degree return a 23 degree drop which is awesome just the a/c unit is working itself to death trying to keep up.
This coach is a joke the way it was made we have had the entry door replaced 4 times since we purchased the coach all under warranty thank god.
Good luck I’m an air conditioning contractor here in Texas so trust me I know what’s going on
JohnnyVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 04:31 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Keep cool

What color is you RV? In Arizona on a 104 deg day my Adventurer sides are : Beige 140 deg, Red 160 deg and Black 195 deg. The darker the color the more heat absorption.
Keith H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 04:31 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes2 View Post
My two cents. Encountered a similar problem in Las Vegas a few years ago. Installed reflextix, etc. All of which helped. After looking at other DIY solutions and costly add-on's, I decided to make my own. This plenum duct connects the blower output directly to the two interior ducts in a smooth fashion. Once the duct is taped into place, it also eliminates the baffle that blocks some of the incoming return air, improving air flow even more. Altogether the solution cost about $25 worth of material and a few hours of time. Installed on Coleman Mach 10 and 15, they work very well for us.

Nice job! I did a similar mod using sheet metal and foil tape to re-shape the plenum and build a pyramid on the bottom to direct the air into the ducts more efficiently , the increased air flow was noticed immediately.
Old 08-21-2024, 04:32 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Top is White, most of the rest is Black hot Black too
JohnnyVL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning, view