Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-23-2020, 08:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Basement Air Maintenance

I have the basement air unit out of my 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 35U finally. I have the outside blower unit out to replace the metal blower cage with the plastic one. Blower takes some care getting it out. Also replacing the bearings with the sealed roller bearing type. I have all new CAPS to install as well.

I have had a squealing noise when the unit is first used each time that goes away in time. The bearings seem ok spinning the motors.

I have some end to end play in the outside motor that does not appear to exist in the inside motor. Not enough for the cage to hit anything. Wondering if I should get a new outside fan motor while serving the unit? It's a Fasco. I don't have the cage off to see the part number on the motor. Searching it could be a Fasco D1092. Parts diagram says this. Wonder where is best place to source a motor.

105620-10-721 EA MOTOR/BLOWER-8 3/4" SHAFT 1468A3029

I need the input and outpu seals and have an email into Lichtsinn RV about those seals.

134588-01-000 EA GASKET - DUCT - 15.5" X 18.2" IS - 17.4" X 20.2" OS Return
134588-02-000 EA GASKET - DUCT - 6.4" X 7.4" IS - 8.3" X 9.4" OS Output

Getting the unit out wasn't so bad. Getting the metal screws out of the bracket holding the unit in was the hardest part. They go into angle iron. I ended up drilling a couple out. I used some short saw horses to support the unit and was able to pull it out myself.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I did a little search for the model you post and it seems to be a pretty generic item carried at lots of places like Grainger, e-bay, amazon and even Wal-Mart so when ready, I would just have to do a search for what walkin or order fit me best.
My buying often gets down to what level of comfort I want as ordering is often cheaper but not worth it if I have to send it back!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks. I will have the motor free to look at its label this afternoon. Taking pictures along the way for reassembly. Might have to call Lichtsinn about the duct seals as they have not gotten back to me via email. I migth just go ahead and replace the outside motor since I have things apart. The inside motor appears fine.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I got the metal fan cage off the outside motor. Sure looks like I need a motor. End of motor was seeping oil and shaft has a decent amount of in out play. I'm thinking the motor bearing are bad. Going to source best price for the correct motor. Coleman Mach 1468A3029 appears to be what I'm looking for.

Still don't have an answer if there is a plastic fan cage for the inside motor.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I ordered a new outside motor from AdventurerRV. Best price I could find for the correct parts. Other sites were almost double for the motor.

I also ordered the inside blower fan cage. Interesting as mine is metal with a part number on it of 1472-115. On AdventurerRV site the part I ordered which is the part number in the parts PDF is 1472-1152. The picture on AdventurerRV appears to be plastic. I always assumed my inside blower cage was plastic and its not.

I have been on hold with Lichtsinn for the duct gaskets. Never got through. Online they only show the output gasket. The return gasket isn't found. Looking at the gasket I think I will just buy sometime at Lowes or Home Depot and make my own.

134588-01-000 EA GASKET Return
134588-02-000 EA GASKET Output

Going to have to wait for parts to proceed.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I’ve also put new stuff in mine about a year ago. It’s whisper quiet now. I handled mine by myself, too. You just have to be very careful not to bend up the outside fins.
Charley67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cef2lion View Post
I ordered a new outside motor from AdventurerRV. Best price I could find for the correct parts. Other sites were almost double for the motor.

I also ordered the inside blower fan cage. Interesting as mine is metal with a part number on it of 1472-115. On AdventurerRV site the part I ordered which is the part number in the parts PDF is 1472-1152. The picture on AdventurerRV appears to be plastic. I always assumed my inside blower cage was plastic and its not.

I have been on hold with Lichtsinn for the duct gaskets. Never got through. Online they only show the output gasket. The return gasket isn't found. Looking at the gasket I think I will just buy sometime at Lowes or Home Depot and make my own.

134588-01-000 EA GASKET Return
134588-02-000 EA GASKET Output

Going to have to wait for parts to proceed.
Odd timing! I also just did a deal with the folks at AdventurerRV.net as they had by far the best price on a Maxair fan! always a bit reluctant when first dealing with a new place but they came through quite well. Hope it works as well for you.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I received the outdoor blower motor today. I also got a replacement indoor blower cage and its plastic. My inside cage is metal as was the outdoor cage.

In the process of mounting the outdoor motor in it carriage. The outdoor blower motor is an inch shorter. I took some pictures before taking things apart. Getting the motor depth in its carriage and the new blower cage depth takes some time. The write-up that Duner posted doesn't take about this. Both cages came with red Locktite on it Allen set screw. I bought blue Locktite for the blower bearing mounting screws.

Since the return duct seal isn't available and the output duct seal is $16 and a wait time of 3-4 weeks I bought some matching weather stripping with adhesive on one side. I have those areas all cleaned up ready for the deals.

I'm hoping to get it all back together this week weather depending.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Update

I got my new outside blower motor and fan installed. I put the blower unit back in the AC cabinet. I spent some time getting the motor and the fan positioned inside the cage. I had to shim the roller bearing a bit at the end of the motor shaft. I used cardboard to keep from damaging the condenser fins getting the blower back in the cabinet.

I them moved to the indoor blower. Two screws and it lifts right out. I set it on top of the cabinet to work on it. I replaced the metal fan with the plastic one I bought. I was surprised how heavy the metal indoor blower fan was. Much heavier in weight then the metal outdoor fan. The clearance from the fan to the cage is close. The plastic fan and metal fan have the same width. I also replaced the brass bushing with a roller bearing. The brass bushing looked in great shape.

My basement AC unit would make a squealing noise at times. Mostly at startup then went away. Based on what I have seen so far. I don't know if it was the brass bushings on the inside or outside motors. Given the tight clearance of the metal indoor fan to its cage. I'm wondering if it wasn't the indoor metal fan touching the metal cage at times.

I have some more work before I can put the unit back in the motorhome. Before I do I plan to run it first. I also want to see how the inside fan runs for clearance.

For this maintenance. I have all capacitors replaced. The fans switched from metal to plastic. New outdoor blower motor. And roller bearings on the motor outboard shafts.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:52 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Documentation

Hope you took photos of your project to post here!
Flashman6692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:00 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I didn't take a lot of pictures as they would be duplicate of what Duner has in his PDF. Pictures I do have were just for reference when putting it back together.

I got the unit back in yesterday. I tested it prior and it ran very well. Quiet and no noise.

There were three sheets of Styrofoam on top of the unit. One broke up a bit getting the unit out. There is a bolt to level the slide that caused the top sheet to break up a bit on the corner. I bought a roll of HVAC bubble insulation. I put two layers on top of the unit in place of the broken sheet. I put the other two sheets Styofoam back on top the bubble insulation. Looking at the basement air mount. I could have loosen the two outer mount bolts to tilt the unit down on the outside to get the Styrofoam out safely.

For the seals I used 1 inch weather foam. It is sticky on one side. Worked out good. I used silver HVAC tape on the 90 output duct just up from the unit.

I'm keeping the old capacitors with me as spares. I tested them with my Fluke meter and they are within specs.

It took a few days to complete but I took a few days off and went slow.

Next year I'm hoping to address the MotorAide rear heater. It doesn't run on low. I ordered a new resister. I have read up on this. Doesn't look fun as you need to pull the hot water tank. I read that some longer motorhomes have an access panel. I have not seen one on mine. I also need to look at the fan blade as I read it has clearance issues. The fix I read is to add a washer.

Tags
maintenance