Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-21-2024, 08:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

camping 1st time in 2023 Micro Minnie 1720FB S. FL.

Bought the trailer in 10/23. I have done 5 long weekends driving 100 to 300 miles one way. Each trip the weather has been perfect. 50's in the morning and highs in the 70s. I have only run the AC two or three times for 3-8 hours.

This weekend I am spending 4 days in mid 90's and no shade. Any suggestions on what i should be thinking about ways to keep Ac running, camper cool or any other issues that might develop in other areas like with towing in high temps. I am going about 250 miles. Also, any ideas about making GE single duct unit more quiet?
Old 05-21-2024, 09:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Obviously you’ll need a powerful and quiet generator - 2700w to 3000w. Many carry two smaller 2000w generators that can be paired to run the A/C. Unless you are only staying at campgrounds with 30-amp shore power.

You haven’t given those details.

Afternoon sun is the worst, we try to park East to West to take the morning and afternoon sun on the ends of the RV not the sides.
Old 05-22-2024, 03:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

... what creativepart says, and using your awning (where you can) as a sun shield will help. Small fans circulating the air inside the trailer will help was well. Fans don't lower the temperature, they make the air "feel better".

If the cooling system on your TV is in good shape temperatures in the 90's won't be a problem.

For those of us with small trailers, noise from the air conditioner is unavoidable. Here in SWFL we run ours continually. (Now that I'm 75 and half deaf it's less of a problem.)

Drink plenty of water - even when you're not thirsty. Dehydration is common among those who spend active time in the heat and their bodies aren't used to it.

I'm thinking you won't have any problems with any of your concerns. They are common and dealt with every day. Enjoy your trip.
Old 05-22-2024, 04:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The awning can become one of the best defenses against heat. By putting a little more angle on it will help. The windows could use some help with reflective material to help with not letting the sun in. I also have found that one looses alot of cold air from the ceiling vents. If you have vents in your unit you can make an insert from Styrofoam or purchase something on line.

Good Luck and enjoy
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 10:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Before going too far out on a limb on recommendations, I like to know more what you value most as that often drives what tradeoffs you are willing to make to get what you want!
Anybody who thinks an RV will magically cure all things is going to be very disappointed!
When we look at what any specific item on our wish list involves as a tradeoff, most of us will have to admit that we can't get it all at the same time, so trying to look ahead and sort what and when we want to make the trades is one way to avoid the big disasters!
Good idea to start slower and work into the game as we learn. One big point, is that none of us want the same exact thing in our RV world.

Right now temps are pretty close to "summer time" for many folks if we are camping in much of the South! So what form of campsite or park to choose is a big one.
For my purposes, I would not do the tradeoff of good cooling for lower expense!
No boondock for me when I know that we will REQUIRE full time air!

In boondocking I see it being a big tradeoff with added problems of retrofit for the RV as well as reduced expectations for comfort! you often have to pay more and work harder for what some perceive as more fun!
Fine if that is what you want!
If not going to have power, the trade can be in working harder. Basic things like cooking? The RV collects less heat if you cook outside! Hot showers done at a central bathhouse will keep heat and humidity out of the RV! Going to bed much later and staying outside combined with getting up and out earlier may help to save the RV as a "cooling center" for times when it is really needed most!

My recommendations for those just learning is to go the route with the least hazards!
One of those is going to campgrounds where you have power as it takes one of the big issues out. One with a pool or place to cool can be a big advantage if swimming is an interest!
Staying up to your neck in water is one way to turn a trip from four days of wishing you were somewhere else to four lazy days in the pool!

A tarp laid along the top of the sun side opposite the existing awning and placed at an angle down close enough to the ground can help as the sun moves. NOT one I would work on using when first starting but something to look at doing if you feel it worth the effort for later trips.

Go North in the heat and South in the cold!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping