Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-28-2020, 04:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

magic chef oven - does not light

new to me mh ~1yr, and from the looks of it, this oven has never been used, everything inside looks new non used.

fridge, top side gas burners well work but nothing from the oven, have waited several minutes for gas to flow - manual suggest 45sec delay.

seems to have a sensor/thermal probe directly where pilot should be, and afaik, this may not release the gas to pilot until it senses heat, so applied a bbq ignitor flame to it and heated it up and also since gas comes out there would have lit the gas.

nothing !

have no rear access and from drawer underneath, see copper gas line going to fridge but no gas line seen to oven/range, must be above, but obviously it is connected as all 3 range burn perfectly.

Any suggestions besides tear it apart and see if clogged ??
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sounds like you may be describing a pilot light which needs a different approach to get it to light. Are you familiar with lighting pilot lights on things like water heater, etc.?
I "think" you may need to turn the knob to a specific spot for pilot lighting and maybe push in on the knob to get the small gas flow to the pilot. Since it has not been used, this may take a half minute or so to get gas there but if you hold a flame near the pilot light underneath, you should seen a small flame light and you need to hold the knob in long enough for the thermocouple to heat and that lets the main gas valve open.
It's a safety thing to keep the gas from flowing if you are not holding the knob in and then the main won't get gas if the pilot light is not heating the thermocouple at the right spot.
It could be a bad pilot light thermocouple but if not used and burned off at the end it is more likely just not getting things done in the right order?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

thanks but no, it is the typical magic chef, you turn out of the off pos, into a notched 'ignite' location and manual says ~45 sec delay, then the gas should flow and it should light, i have waited 2 mins or mo, and tried in diff locations from ignite pos, it still should light but of course ONLY if gas flows - not my first oven or mh either.
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Do you have a model number, etc for your stove, so that we could take a closer look at the details?
No mention of pushing the knob or some button to push for piezo ignition? No mention in the manual of lighting a pilot in advance so that the ignition position then uses the pilot to light the main burner?
Seems there has to be some form of ignition, either piezo or lighting a pilot light but the devil is in the details at times.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Some info from a search that may or may not fit for your specific model?

How do you light the pilot on a Magic Chef RV oven?
Set the oven's temperature to "Off", remove the stove's oven control knob, and push in on the metal control rod there while holding a lighter under that sprinkler head— this should cause the pilot to light. Hold the control rod in for a few seconds to allow the pilot to warm up the oven's thermocouple, then release it.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:01 AM   #6
Site Team

Every RV oven I've owned requires you to:

1. turn the knob on the stove to light
2. push down on the knob in the light position
3. hold a flame (lighter, etc) under the thermocouple to get the gas to flow
4. release the knob once the pilot light has been lit for ~30

I've never seen an RV gas oven with auto ignition.

Tags
light