Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-04-2020, 07:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Noisy dash a/c fan

Hello all, I have a squeaky dash a/c fan. Fan runs fine on low and medium speed but once switched to high or max it starts to squeal. I’m sure the bearing is going out but I can't figure out how to get the passenger side kick plate off to access the fan. There does not appear to be any screws on the face buried in the carpet. Any idea? Thanks in advance for the help.
Calmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Going to need lots more info on what you have to get close to an answer. Year, make, model and length can all change the answer.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Sorry, rookie poster. I have a 2011 sightseer 35j on the Ford f53 chassis
Calmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 02:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I am watching this thread and wish you well in solving the problem.

When I removed the "eyebrow hump" over the radio/backup monitor, I found that two of the flexible ducts had come loose from the registers. I attached them back to their rightful place and it did quieten down my A/C quite a bit.

It definitely, in your case, points to a failing fan motor. For the life of me, I don't know how to access it either. I have a 2011 Sightseer 33C.

I'm going down to my storage lot today and will take another look.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I don't have any experience with that model but does it have a carpeted panel that has a 4-5 inch gap at the bottom where it doesn't reach the floor? I can reach up under mine and feel small metal angle brackets in several locations around the panel. My panel is somewhat loose feeling and I have considered trying to make it firm but not seeing how they put it together, if they did not screw it on and then add carpet over the fasteners. Any chance of it being some form of push in gripping thing like car panels and it would snap loose if pried in the right locations??
I'm thinking you are in a situation where you may have to get to the motor even if it means ripping the panel out and then figure out how to rebuild.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

There are hidden screws in the carpeted panel, they can be hard to find. The blower is replaced somehow from inside the RV once that panel is off. I had the same issue on my 2015 27N and had the blower replaced at the Forest City Winnebago service center in 2016. I removed the panel and put it back after deciding on inspection that trying to replace the blower myself was beyond my capabilities. Anyway, the replacement is still quiet after 4 years, knock on wood. Good luck.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
There are hidden screws in the carpeted panel, they can be hard to find. The blower is replaced somehow from inside the RV once that panel is off. I had the same issue on my 2015 27N and had the blower replaced at the Forest City Winnebago service center in 2016. I removed the panel and put it back after deciding on inspection that trying to replace the blower myself was beyond my capabilities. Anyway, the replacement is still quiet after 4 years, knock on wood. Good luck.
This is something that I had considered but not tried, so your thoughts on it might be good. How much metal is there where the screws are in the carpet? Is it enough that a small magnet type stud finder would be able to show where the screws are hidden or is there any type of metal frame, etc that would make a stud finder spot too many of the wrong things?
Possibly run a plainmagnet over the carpet to "feel" for screws?

UPDATE?
I just took a better look and found it much more simple than expected. The screws CAN be found with a magnet but I could also locate them easy without! They are a hex head which sticks up and also have a phillips slotting in the center. Being hexhead, there is a noticeable lump that you can feel through the carpet fibers if you wiggle the panel first to locate where it is held on.
At least that is what I have.

Tags
dash, fan