Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-26-2024, 08:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Norcold N7XR fridge condensation drain clogged?

This refrigerator is in my 2022 Spirit 22r. Condensation from the fins inside the fridge drip onto a ledge that drains down a small hole. Sometimes it stops draining and overflows into the trays and shelves. I'm not sure if it freezes closed. But, my question is about how it is designed. I checked to see if it is clogged. It's a small hole and seems like it would be prone to clogging or freezing. So, I probed inside the hole with a toothpick. It seems that something spongey is down that hole. Shining a light in shows something white inside. I don't think it's a big chunk of debris. It seems to be something in the design of it. Does anyone know? I'd like to make sure that the best flow down the drain can be gained.

Thank you.
lsitongia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 07:22 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would first suggest a look at the manual for what to expect from this type of frig as it is not what we find in a home frig.
This is a link to the manual, if it is nt on hand in the info pack that should have come with the RV. Page 14 explains how it operates and will help to understand some of the limits and what may be changed to make it operate bettter.

Understanding the limits of this type frig and how to work them for the best result is a start but then there is also a chance there is a clog. Step one is to understand that the drain is meant for a small amount of water , so is not a big volume collector!
But if you put a tiny amount of water like from an eye dropper into the tube it may show if it is really blocked.

It sounds like what you are seeing is the cup where the water collects to evaporate from the heat of the cooling system. But also uncerstand that this is NOT a drain where the water pours out underneath somewhere. ONLY a small collection space!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 09:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for your reply.

The ledge I described is in the food compartment of the fridge. It is not an evaporation cup. It is where the cooling fins are that are in the back of the food compartment of the fridge. Condensing moisture drops onto the ledge and flows down the hole to an evaporation cup. My question is not about where the evaporation takes place. It is about why the dripping water on the ledge doesn't go down the hole and what is inside that hole

The manual that came with this rig does not have details like this. The troubleshooting table does not address this scenario. I suspect that only an engineer at Norcold would know how it is designed but I thought I would ask here in case this is a common problem that has already been solved.
Old 08-28-2024, 06:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Okay, more details help understand better. I was thinking you were probing and asking what was in the hole.
There are different levels on manuals and those that we get with the RV are often just the "homeowners" version with limited info. I was suggesting getting the service manual with exploded parts diagrams to let you see what parts that might be where you were looking.
It may be as simple as a bit of white foamboard has found it's way in to block the tube or it may be something built that way. One way to get something back out of a drain is to suck it out by setting up a "custom" tool with a vaccuum cleaner?
But how to go has to involve what it is!
It bears checking but this appears to be the correct parts for that frig but then what options are involved will still need to have a look!
https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploa...5_20210210.pdf

How to move forward is always a trick, so just my suggestion.
Old 08-28-2024, 08:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

There is a plug in the hose end that's in the cup. This has very small holes in it tor drainage, but small enough that when the cup is dry, warm air cannot backflow into the fridge.
Pull the plug out to clean everything. Got canned air? Give the hose a shot from inside the fridge to blow out any debris.
I used my air compressor dialed down to 20psi.
OH, point the hose outside the compartment to prevent a mess.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 02:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I found that drain tube and the cap at the end. It is clear. The cup itself is larger than I expected, so I don't think there's a problem with that getting full. The hose and end cap is free of debris. So, I guess the cause of the problem in my case has been the drain freezing closed inside the fridge. I've turned the cooling level down from 3 to 2. I'm in cool coastal weather now, and I think turning it down is helping.

p.s.
The drain hose is white, so I think what I'm seeing from inside the fridge, inside the drain hole, is the side of the hose. So, poking it with a toothpick is a bad idea. I don't want to pierce the hose or dislodge it from its connection.
Old 09-01-2024, 03:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

A simple test to see if it is really draining might be worth a minute?
If you have something small like a medicine dropper or small item , maybe drop some small amount of water in the tube and see that it is actually clear to run out?
Old 09-01-2024, 03:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

That's a good idea. I can spoon some water onto the drain hole.
Old 09-01-2024, 03:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

That would add to your knowledge of the problem.
Is it a drain problem or a problem with too much to drain?
Old 09-01-2024, 07:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Similar set up in our fridge. Tube-end sat in bottom of cup in outside access area. It plugged shut. Removed end, ran small wire down tube from inside fridge to clear debris then cut tube shorter so it didn't sit in the bottom of the tray. All this after 2 years of use and 3 years ago. All ok for 3 years now.
paof6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold, fridge