Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-24-2024, 04:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Gmail Changes - Internet chaos or problem?

I just got slapped in the face with a new problem for me to work around and thought it might be worth mention for others?

I have a small trip planned and reservations at hotels!
Maybe I have been too trusting of the internet systems and now they have let me down?
I have used GMail for a long time and they seem to have made a change, adding several new and folders. Does anybody else use those folders to keep track of things?
I had a number of conversations, reservations info, and things I needed to get back to at a later date! Many were small points on things I was buying or selling but some were really potential big things!

My folders in Gmail are now all empty!
I never knew how hard it was to confirm I have a reservation when I did not have the reservation number!

Any of you folks out there traveling and hope you saved a bunch of info in your Gmail?
Headsup on doing a check if you use Gmail and they are updating/"improving" it for you! Something has cleared all my info and a good part of what my wife had in her folders.

We are basicly screwed on communications!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 04:57 PM   #2
Site Team

I'm not seeing any issues or anything missing.

Of course, I have no idea how you have your accounts set up. So, there's no way to help you.

You should at least have all of your emails in the "All Mail" folder - it's a listing of every email you've received or sent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-09-24 at 5.57.26 PM.png
Views:	3
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	189949  
Old 09-24-2024, 05:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Yes, what you show is what I had. But at some point today my setup changed and I now have this but all my email that were in my folders I had built are now gone!

Name:	gmail.jpg
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	189950

The main change that I notice is the "Chat" list. Not something I had considered and may be useful if I can now do texts on the keyboard instead of the phone??

But what I was shocked at finding is that ALL of the Emails which I had stored are now gone! The ALL mail folder is empty. Nothing recvd nor sent!

I had developed the habit of just making reservations and when I got the confirmation emails, I filed them in a "reservations" folder.
WE had done this when traveling and as we could look down the road to see where the next stop, we did not write down or print out those messages but just stored them online in Gmail.

I wondered how many other did the same without keeping written notes of all those details. I often looked at the sites, picked them and got the reservations. Rarely did I commit all those small point to memory but just filed it for later!
With whatever has happened to me today, it might have been a major headache if we had been on the road!
I do not currently have any techs that I am in contact with but there are times when I do not know them other than their first names and kind of where they are. I build folders like Ozona, etc. to keep my mind plugged in and then make a note of the name just so I know who is calling from where if I'm speaking to them on the phone. Much of the time, I never have any real contact, just info back and forth.

How that relates to RV world is when I think of our trips to the coast in either direction. WE would often have specific spots and make reservations, with the only way to refer back to them was the email confirmation we got back.

Do you other folks out there do that? I found out how hard it is to get info on a reservation if I don't have the right numbers!
Apparently where I plan to sleep is highly classified!
Old 09-24-2024, 07:38 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I've used gmail exclusively for personal email for at least 15 years, and for work exclusively from 2010 till I retired earlier this year. I've never seen that happen, but it would appear to be an account issue. I'd try logging out and back in first, and also try logging in from a different device. Also check trash, since gmail holds deleted emails for 30 days by default. Sorry not much help, like I said I've never seen something like this.
Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

As far as I can currently see, the problem came about when the "chat" section was added?
The result is what really bothered me as ALL my stored email is now gone, not just in deleted but gone from all points! ALL files including trash, the sent and received are all gone.
Had we been on a trip and doing what we had normally done, we likely would have lost all info on campground reservations, etc.
That would have meant we would have reservations at campgrounds where we had not been before and often I would not know even the name and certainly not how to contact them to change or cancel!
Since we currently don't have an RV, we only had one reservation at one hotel and it was not terribly hard to make contact. The fun part of that was they could not tell me the confirmation number as that could not be transmitted over the phone! They had to send it through email!

I am now seeing ads, etc. for a new feature that lists as "Gemini"? I might guess that would be something involving AI?
Surely not something done by ISP, but more likely a Google thing? Possible Windows 11/ Google conflict? I have just been fighting the move to 11 but that has been several months now and this just shoed yesterday!

Got me wondering how many will be getting a surprise if it is some type of slow, progressive rollout?
Any of you other folks notice a new symbol, icon, whatever at the top for "Gemini"?

Logging out and back in sounds like a good move but it has been so long since I logged in, I will have to study HOW to log out!
So I go to "help" and it seems that is a bit slow as they show no changes in the last FIVE years?

Name:	gemini.jpg
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	189952
Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

In the top far right on the address bar line, next to the 3-dots, should be round circle with your initial in it. I would assume an R for you. Click on that and it will show you your account, tell you if Sync is on or not, log out, and your profiles. First make sure that you're logged in using the correct profile. I would then log out and log back in and see if that helps.
Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Thanks, will play with that for a bit!
Some days I need a dog and white cane to guide me to things!
Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

No issues here and I am a heavy Gmail user. I have 4 separate accounts, plus two business accounts. I agree with wyocamper, check and make sure you are synced and are using the correct account.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I'm finding the help section is not correct for the Windows 11 that I am now using. To log out, I finally stumbled into needing to turn off sync first and that brought a space to log off!
Can you tell me if you are on 11 and do you have the Gemini symbol at top right? I may not have noticed is but it seems my email problem with losing most everything came about at near the same time I got the Gemini?
Odd timing or related is a big question?
I have not found what I would use the Gemini for and would be quite happy without it, if it creates some problem.
It seems to be a change that came about without me knowing it was coming, so little idea of what, how, or why, it has shown up now.

Are you familiar with Gemini that appears to be an app?

Logging out and back in doesn't give any changes.
Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Nothing like a few phones calls and spending the day on hold when trying to figure things!
I don't know what happened where nor when as I never got details but enough to settle my main question.
Seems there are folks in the sales group who know they are getting a bunch of complaints about lost email and they are aware of changes being made but nobody knew anything!

I think I used to work with the same group??
Sometimes when folks are doing the input on a new change, they may not quite get the fingers on the right keys!

I can relate to that as my fingers are often on the wrong keys!
My info is lost and seems no way to recover it, but that's for another day! Moving on!