Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-11-2024, 06:14 PM   #1
2012 Adventurer 37F

2012 Adventurer 37F Water Heater

Hello fellow owners. Can anyone please tell me where the water heater is located and how to access it on my 2012 Adventurer 37F? I want to be able to replace the heating element when the time comes. The manual shows pictures but doesn’t mention where it is and how to access it. Thank you in advance.
SALLYCAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2024, 08:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Two good sites to write down for future?
One is the interactive parts setup here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
A great place where we can choose the exact RV look for the section we want like plumbing and fresh water. Then we can scroll and zoom, etc to look at the part we want from most any angle!
Great stuff but right at the moment, not online as they are likely doing work on the site. Maybe tomorrow?
A second site which is less fancy and not my fav is the older style line drawings of plumbing:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...m/Plumbing.htm
Looks like sheet 3 in th elower right hand corner shows the water heater. Looks like pretty close under the vanity at that corner?

ARGH!
Looks like none of my favorite toys are playng nice right now. I tried to snip a picture of the layout for you but nothing seems to want to play!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2024, 10:18 PM   #3
Site Team

You should see some vents to the lower left of the mid-Coach entry door. There is a body panel there with the vent holes. At the bottom of that body panel under the panel are four screws. Unscrew those screws and the body panel will swing up from the bottom - it’s hinged from the top. Then you’ll see the water heater door.

Release the small latch on the top of the water heater cover to open the cover and gain access to the serviceable parts of the water heater.
Old 08-12-2024, 07:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Got a different plan as I now find Winnebago has redone a number of the online info sites!
New link to the parts catalog:
https://catalog.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
If not reaching the site from link I posted above, try this one!

I get the picture for the water heater on the passenger side as Creative states above!
I'm still unable to get the snipping tool to work for a snip of the drawings, but maybe that will work out as they make some change?
Old 08-12-2024, 08:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

HAH! Works now!
The computer world and I are having a fight that is a neverending battle as I move to a new computer and Windows 11.

It is NOT a fun thing as so many of the small uses I make of it are now so much harder!
Simple things like Paint and the Snipping Tool are now a real drag and much more difficult!

Click image for larger version

Name:	heater.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	189589
Old 08-12-2024, 09:03 AM   #6
Site Team

Here's a photo of the water heater location as I described in my post above.

Just remove the four little screw on the bottom edge of that body panel and it will swing up at the belt line and provide direct access to the water heater. It's likely an Atwood 10gal electric/propane water heater with the unique Motoraid system.

With the Motoraid there are two radiator hoses that run from your RVs front engine radiator all the way back to the rear of the water heater. As you drive hot engine water is circulated all the way back to the water heater and encircling the heaters water tank providing hot water upon arrival without you having to turn on the heater.

Be advised... Atwood sold out to Lippert and this model water heater GCH10A-4E is no longer made and are nearly impossible to find. Equally as difficult is finding a replacement by any manufacturer that fits in this space. Many RV owners with this heater have learned that the only way to go forward is to have their malfunctioning heater rebuilt, especially when the water tank springs a leak.

You mentioned you wanted to be prepared to replace the heating element, so I assume you mean the electric element. That installs from the rear of the water heater and can only be accessed from under the RV.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Adventurer Water Heater.png
Views:	10
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	189590  
Old 08-12-2024, 09:33 AM   #7
2012 Adventurer 37F

Thank you all so much for the detailed responses. I actually have opened the panel next to the entrance door a week ago but found no way to access the heater. I guessed that it had to be there. I suppose that I didn’t look closely enough to find the latch that opens the second panel. Thank you also Morich for the links and images. I ordered the correct heating element to have in stock. Thanks to creativepart for explaining the motoaid. I was wondering why we had hot water on arrival when the electric and LP heaters were off for travel on the control panel. Happy travels to all!
SALLYCAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2024, 10:02 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALLYCAPP View Post
I actually have opened the panel next to the entrance door a week ago but found no way to access the heater. I guessed that it had to be there. I suppose that I didn’t look closely enough to find the latch that opens the second panel.
Here's a photo of the metal panel that is behind that body panel, though yours is likely black.

See that red circled "ring"? It is spring loaded. You stand that up straight so that the cover can slide over the the ring. The cover then drops down and reveals the front internals of the unit.

Here are photos of that drop down panel, the internals of the front of the heater and photo of the rear of the heater. From the front you can service the circuit board, the flame/air mixing, the flue, both the thermostat and the ECO and the Thermal Cutoff "fuse." It's not a fuse but it's inline between the circuit board and the thermostat. Covered in thin plastic tubing. If you get a flame backfire from the flue the heat will "blow" the diode in the Thermal Cutoff and stop the heater from operating on gas or electric. It can be removed and bypassed in an emergency but then only use the water heater on electric. This is the one extra water heater part I carry with me.

Also, Atwood had a bad batch of circuit boards for about 3-years. Your heater may predate the issue, I'm not sure. But surely if yours was effected it would have been replaced by now.

NOTE: The internals of your older heater may be slightly different from these shown in the photos:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Atwood Water Heater Front.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	189591   Click image for larger version

Name:	atwood heater-1.png
Views:	12
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	189592  

Name:	Atwood heater-2.png
Views:	7
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	189593  
Old 08-12-2024, 10:11 AM   #9
Site Team

Also, here's a website dedicated to Atwood Water Heaters that you may find helpful:

https://www.atwoodwaterheaters.net/

Lastly, on our much larger sister website, IRV2 there is a gentleman there with the username "Old-Biscuit" and he is the go to expert for Atwood Water Heater Questions.

Here's a link:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/members/...it-174616.html
Old 08-12-2024, 10:16 AM   #10
Site Team

Here's what the thermal cutoff looks like and a link to purchase spares on Amazon - though many RV parts supply sellers have these in stock. It's a common failure point:

https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-93866-.../dp/B077YR29HL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thermal cutoff.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	189594  
Old 08-12-2024, 10:50 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

One of the neat things about a forum group is that there are tons of different folks, each having their own set of knowledge on RV. There are the mechanical folks who have had hands on, the theory folks who have been to school, etc. and then there are others who have sources to info like pictures or written info.

If we can accept that all that info can have great value, depending on the situation, it really helps solve the problems that we all may find!

And one of the big things I have learned about RV is how many small points are actually different at different times. We can have "exactly" the same RV but they can be different when we look closer! Exactly the same is not always the same!

Your water heater may be one of those as I noticed what shows in the pictures was not the same as what I had found in the drawings. First thought was that I might have gotten on the wrong RV along the path to the drawings, so I went back to do a second look! Expect to be right but also assume I might make mistakes?

So when I took a second look, I found the disconnect in the two sources of info as there are two different water heaters used on your year, make, model floorplan for your RV!

The difference may be a brand change or possibly the water heater builders did a change but the motoraid connections show up as different!

Name:	build date.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	189595
Sometimes we can go with info we find but other times it also pays to go into the job with an open mind and figure it out as we go because we may be missing some tiny point like when the RV was built!

I'm betting 90% of us can't say if our RV was built before October 20 or after, without going to yet more info to check!

That's where we may need to be aware of the label Winn puts on the RV with that build date! Driver's left side is a common place to find lots of the critical info we need when we want parts info. Especially important to know when we want to order chassis parts like brakes!

It's like a big Easter egg hunt?
We have to look under ALL the bushes to get the best result!
Old 08-12-2024, 11:30 AM   #12
Site Team

Richard is of course correct. And I'm sure the two photos of the inside and back of the water heater are not the same as the OPs. Which is why I added the NOTE to my post with the photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
NOTE: The internals of your older heater may be slightly different from these shown in the photos:

Tags
adventurer, heat, heater, vent, water, water heater