Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-16-2024, 08:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2017 Sightseer 33C convert King Bed to Queen?

anyone have any info on how I might convert the King bed in the 33C to a queen bed?
BWestphal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 09:59 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Seems to have been different beds when different options were ordered, so one way to go might be to search for the OEM parts for options 23C or 49N?
Click this snip for better view!
Click image for larger version

Name:	bed.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	188966
Possibly no longer stocked but one doesn't know until tried? Maybe some laying around they would love to ship out!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 11:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

My thoughts, without actually doing it?
I feel like a move from larger to smaller, might get more involved than a move from small to large.
Part of that is what happens at the floor?
If we go larger, we may hide the floor marks under the new but when going the other way, do we wind up needing to redo the floor as the footprint leaves any damage from the frame exposed?

Things might depend on what you are working to get? If wanting more space at the edge of the bed, leaving the larger frame in place is likely not getting what you want! Maybe just a knee knocker and no more floor clearance?
So that might mean going for a floor redo and just a simple framed box for a base, rather than going for what is likely to be a really expensive bit of wood work if we find the OEM bed?
Lots of options and much of it depends on what we each feel is right on how it works and how it looks!
I have lots of wood tools, etc, so a simple box frame with a top to lift for storage and just stain or paint would be a first thought but likely include a floor redo of some sort. We had a bed with a flap under the mattress and were good with lifting the mattress foot and the flap and thought it great for leaving lots of stuff like bedding already packed but under the bed. Lots of room for the seasonal stuff!
We found struts for letting us pull the flap up and it stay while we worked under it! Not hydraulic but more like the simple struts found on toy boxes and such. Click, click, click, on the way up and it latched in notches on each side?
There are often lots of open spaces in and under the woodwork in RV that we can get a lot more storage if we can figure a way to access it.

Lots of options but it always gets back to whether the benefit is worth the trek of figuring and paying for the change?
Old 05-16-2024, 11:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks

I’ll update the post as i move through the process. IT seems like i should be able to remove the plywood base upon which the mattress lies and replace it, as the current king sized plywood piece is larger than the under storage box framing by about 4 inches per side…that’s 8” of the 12” need to go from a King to Queen mattress…
BWestphal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 11:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Yes, it likely will take several different ideas and combine for the final plan!
Thinking of alternates, keeping in mind that we want to stay light and also storage.
I did a search of "bed frame in a box" to see what might show!
I've been hanging around too many college folks that want it cheap and portable!

Since wood is so much higher than I like to pay, combined with not especially wanting to start from scratch, I thought this might be a way to go as an alternate that has very little finish work of any type.
Basic box but with pre built storage. Not too expensive when compared to buying wood, etc. and finish stuff?
Maybe screwed to blocks on the floor to make it stable?
https://www.amazon.com/Allewie-Platf...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Lots of the knockdown furniture is good for RV as some is the lightweight we want.
Plenty of options to mess with the planning !
Old 05-22-2024, 09:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2010 33c. I took out the plywood, cut it down, re-centered and re-attached. Ordered the short queen size from Matress Factory and am very glad I did. Making the bed is sooo much easier.
Dan
Dan_S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sightseer