Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-09-2020, 05:01 PM   #1
Winnebago owner

Another, What is this....

Sorry, I hate to ask but I happened to look down when I changed out the air filter on my 2015 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q and saw this part, and I don't know what it is, or if there is something that must be attached to the threads on it (I think there must be something missing).

It's located in front of the drivers seat, just behind the front of the RV. I've posted a picture of it, a picture of it showing what's around it, and where it sits behind the front end (behind the area of the blue circle).

Try as I might, I can't think of what this is for, but I bet just as soon as someone says that it's for ........., I'll remember. In the meantime I need help.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zoomed in shot.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	176184   Click image for larger version

Name:	zoomed out shot.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	323.8 KB
ID:	176185  

Name:	outside.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	344.9 KB
ID:	176186  
Old 12-09-2020, 05:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Temperature sensor shows there in these pics?
One location and one close up?
I might have to guess it is for an air temperature since it hangs out in nothing but air, so do you have a temperature reading on the dash or possibly for some of the engine functions?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	temp.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	176187   Click image for larger version

Name:	temp 2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	176188  

Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:32 PM   #3
Winnebago owner

Thanks, Never thought to look it up on the parts list, but there it is.

That's exactly what it is, a temperature sensor. I wondered if there was another part of it that spun off the threads, but looking at the parts list it's clear to see that the missing part is just a head that holds it to the bracket.

I've had so much stuff fall off of this front end, including most of the glued joints holding it on that I really wondered, unfortunately without looking where I should have, what this new thing could be. Glad you found it for me so fast.

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	part.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	176190  
Old 12-09-2020, 05:46 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I had a head start as I just found mine hanging out like that a few weeks ago!
Now if I had any real idea of what reason for the temperature sensor? Funny how much better attached they are in the drawings!
Old 12-09-2020, 05:52 PM   #5
Winnebago owner

I know that when I look at the DIC information while hitting info it displays the outside temperature (just went out to check to make sure), it's possible this is where that measurement is taken from.

It is funny how the display shows the attachment, and how they actually are attached.

I appreciate the quick reply, I'd never have thought temperature sensor. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:19 PM   #6
GaS
Winnebago Watcher

Thumbs up

It's for the dash AC temp
GaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 07:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

The bracket appears to still be there right below it so all it needs is to be inserted back into the bracket and the missing jam nut replaced.
Old 12-18-2020, 11:35 AM   #8
Winnebago owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
The bracket appears to still be there right below it so all it needs is to be inserted back into the bracket and the missing jam nut replaced.

My concern when I first saw this was that something attached to the threads had come off, and not knowing what it was, I hoped the missing part could be identified. After Morich identified that missing part I too looked it up on the Winnebago parts list, hadn't done so earlier thinking this was a Ford part.

The Winnebago drawings show the temperature gauge attached differently than mine is, Mine has a pin in the back side that holds it down, which allows it to pivot around the pin, causing it to be visible as the pin loosened a bit, and the bracket shown on the Winnebago parts page isn't there. I suspect that the jam nut shown on the Winnebago parts list wasn't used on my RV because it was attached differently, and while it looks as though it's missing something, in reality it's just the way it always was, except that it's pivoted 90 degrees to the right so I saw it this time looking into the engine compartment.

Thanks for the help everyone, I know what it's purpose is now, and whether it sits sideways or pointing to the front I suspect the readings would be the same.

Jim
Old 12-18-2020, 12:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

No jam nut involved on mine and since it does not involve anything like the air conditioner but just the air temperature reading on the dash, I don't worry it much but mine is still attached on a vertical frame member that works to hold the grill, etc. by using the white plastic "stud" gizmo that pushes in a hole with "fins" to keep it from backing out. I can't get to the back side to get a good view of the white plug but you can just see the top of it in this picture and it is pushed into the back side of this frame.
I suspect we all have one of these if we have a temp readout on the dash but most of the time we don't notice the small stuff.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3910.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	176354   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3913.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	176355