Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-10-2024, 07:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Black Tank deep clean and sensor functionality

MicroMinnie 2018 2108DS black tank - sensor not working properly, and not certain tank flush is adequately cleaning "sludge" on bottom of tank. have used conditioning capsules very regularly. Suggestions on deep clean and sensor functionality? thanks!
KGs2108DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 07:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Brief add'l info - though emptied (25gal black tank) yesterday & flushed when leaving CG, 500mi later black tank has about 3.5-4" thin effluent in it. LED sensor says it is full (obviously not). Anyone know the dimensions (especially vertical) of tank? after reading some older posts, I'll try the 1C borax & 1C Dawn treatment, unless better ideas "float" up.
Old 06-30-2024, 01:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Old 06-30-2024, 07:59 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

You’ll find many suggested methods to clean out the tank. I had some success using liquid dishwasher detergent. Filled the tank with clean water about 1/3 then put in a large quantity of liquid detergent before driving to the next destination. Did a pretty good job but the sensors acted up again pretty quickly.

Since our sensors are the stick on type that uses electronic capacitance to sense the liquid, I tried decreasing the capacitive coupling. Capacitive proximity sensors are very common in industry, but are adjustable and more robust than the ones on our tanks. I marked the sensor positions on the tank, carefully removed the sensors, and then removed all of the original adhesive tape. I then applied a layer of 3M double sided automotive tape covering the entire sensor surface. The tape I used is slightly thicker than the original adhesive tape thereby reducing the electrical capacitive coupling, thicker tape is necessary, thinner will make the problem worse.

I got very good results from it, the sensors work great and rarely give false readings. False readings now indicate the need for another good tank cleaning. I was considering trying two layers of tape as an experiment, but they are working just fine so that’s low on the to-do list.
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2024, 05:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

have watched full video and thanks. so good points there! used 1 cup Borax and 1 cup Dawn, let stand over night and then emptied and flushed thoroughly! sensors working properly now. however, there is still about 1.5" fluid in bottom of black tank. got tank diagram from Winnebago, and it appears it should empty completely, given how it is constructed. So, I'm wondering whether there could be some remaining obstruction to complete emptying. the "gate" (opening/closing valve) seems to work smoothly and completely. I even placed 2X12" wood blocks under passenger side tires to further elevate and tilt trailer for complete drainage of black tank. why would there still be liquid in the bottom of the tank?

Tags
black tank, tank