Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-01-2021, 03:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Considering buying a 1991 Minnie Winnie

Hi. We are new to the RV world. We are considering purchasing a 1991 Minnie Winnie. We are told it's in mechanically good running condition. The inside could use some work, but my husband would enjoy working on such a project. We are getting it for a good price. $3000. We are told it needs new tires, fridge, water heater, generator works but wont stay cranked. Has approx. 100k miles. Are we crazy? We do not ever plan on boondocking.
lj426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 04:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Lots of questions left in doubt! Do you mean the items listed need replaced or that some of them work and some not? What do you mean about the genset? Does it crank but not start which may be a small problem or large?

It could be a fun project but that depends on lots of things like interest and ability, so look carefully at that as it can lead to a real disappointmetn as there are lots of things that it seems you have not tested or had looked at really well.

Some things that can hide out:
Does the frig light and work?
Is the plumbing okay or has it and the water heater been neglected and frozen, so that plumbing is a major problem?
Do the holding tanks hold water or have they also frozen? Super big problem there!
Were the brakes, cyclinders, lines okay or allowed to absort water in the fluid which may have now rusted and may soon score the wheels cylinders and need to have all four replaced?

Part of my doubt is the extreme high mileage for a motorhome as that would mean an average of more than 30,000 miles per year and that is pretty extremet for an RV.

I have bought and onwed/rebuilt several but never interested in high mileage. With the lack of experience and lack of info, I might not recommend it as a starter project.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you. We have decided not to purchase this RV. We've got a lot to learn before we pull the trigger on any RV.
lj426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 09:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

30K per year?
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
30K per year?
Or more like 1K miles per year?
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:10 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Or more like 1K miles per year?
Check your math... assuming it was used every year it would be 3,333 miles per year.

Anyway, the OP has already back away from the purchase he was contemplating and the entire question is a moot point now.
Old 11-20-2021, 09:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Check your math... assuming it was used every year it would be 3,333 miles per year.

Anyway, the OP has already back away from the purchase he was contemplating and the entire question is a moot point now.
Boy howdy, we are all pretty much math-challenged, aren't we?

Well, except for you. A little over 3K miles per year isn't horrible, but it's still a 20 year old machine. I can't say I'd fault the OP for taking a pass on it if they weren't handy at upkeep and repairs.
Old 11-20-2021, 09:27 AM   #8
Site Team

We are seeing quite a few newbie RV owners buying 20 and even 30 year old RVs, presumably at very low prices.

It's one thing when someone with a lot of RV experience buys a "vintage" model but it appears many of the newbies we see here and on IRV2 don't know how any of the standard RV specific systems function - let alone how they functioned 30 years ago.

How you refresh and recondition an RV when you don't know how to successfully operate a brand new fully working model seems next to impossible. I think people think of it like an apartment remodel and concentrate on the appearance aspects of the job. Then when the fridge, water heater, gas furnace don't work they are stymied.

Also, it seems that many assume with a motorhome that it's the chassis that is the main worry and that the slides, hydraulics, electrical, etc are not a concern if the RV starts and drives.

I wonder how many give up after totally stripping out the interior and realizing they are way over their skill levels.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

True,
I see so many basic questions that should be common knowledge for an RV owner. Simply understanding the difference between the AC and the DC power systems will make life easier. Understanding fresh water and grey/black waste systems is not rocket science.
Understanding that a check engine light means that you should at least pull the codes.
I often wonder how anyone could go out and purchase such a complex machine without doing any research on the front end.

But, the OP's credit, they did ask for guidance.