Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-10-2024, 02:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Flexible Fresh Water Hose ... Yes - No ?? which One?

We are heading out next week for a few weeks and one thing I would like replace is our fresh water hose. I carry 2 -25fters now but they are showing their age, My wife suggest one of those "Golden Bullets" she saw on TV. it is a 3/4in flex hose with a shut off. I looked on their website but is really doesn't say for sure if it is good for drinking water.

I thought I would ask the experts here to get the true story about using these flex hoses. The idea sounds good. Storage would be better than the white snakes. But I would like to hear from you what would be a good brand if in fact I should be getting one at all.

Thanks In advance....

Cburg
Cburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 03:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I recently read an article on RV Life and their claim is that there are certain materials that make up a water hose that should not be used if drinking from them. If it's a hose that's hooked up to a campsite I would stick to one which is made for drinking water.

https://rvlife.com/rv-water-hose/
Old 07-10-2024, 04:24 PM   #3
Site Team

We carry two 25' Zero G flexible hoses. They've been great and much easier to deal with. Drinking water safe, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Teknor-Apex-4.../dp/B01N1FB8WV
Old 07-10-2024, 11:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

X2 on the zeroG hoses.
Only downside is waiting for the hose to collapse running water in the sink until it is done, then I can unhook the hose outside.
I added a 1/4 turn ball to the hose to help…
Bill
Wmlunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2024, 09:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

First Off .. Thank You for the two replies on the "Zero G" hose I was looking at those. I followed the link in the one post and read the reviews. It sounds like you have a 50-50 chance of getting one with good ends. It sounds like the company started out with a good product and then changed production and now has issues with leaks and taste.

I am wondering if anyone has used the "Golden Bullet Pocket Hose"
https://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Hose-A.../dp/B0C8PKGVHR

Sorry I do not know how to insert short links.

I see the hose is 3/4inch, has a valve but has Aluminum fitting.
Old 07-11-2024, 09:31 AM   #6
Site Team

My only concern with that is that it's a garden hose, not a drinking hose. I would not want a garden hose filling my fresh water tank.

I think you'll find that's the main point with any of these hoses. Pretty much all RV hoses are "drinking water hoses."
Old 07-11-2024, 09:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

We have always stuck to the white or blue/white hoses as they are made from different materials which are deemed to be safer. One of the reasons for the different color is to make more certain that hoses for potable are not confused with hose for other use like drains!
One problem seems to be when we use the other hoses with other materials and lay them out in the sun, we can get pollutants out of the hose materials as they heat.
Likely not enough difference to notice at the time but how much poison does it take?

We are no finding micro plastics in our body that we had never imagined. One of the places is the plague in the arteries, etc. So how much is too much?
Nobody knows but nobody thought lead pipes were a problem for a long time!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2024, 12:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Hard to pick one and find a definitive answer, isn't it? I think the one point that everyone makes and is a requirement is that it is for drinking water.

We have used this one for two years now...

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-TastePU...st_sto_dp&th=1

It's fine. Has worked well, fair price, highly rated, and shows up in all of the best drinking water hose lists.

I looked at buying something new a few months ago - we have used ours hard in many different environments, but could not come to a conclusion of what would be better.

Prior to this we had a couple of the less expensive Camco hoses - the white ones - and they worked well, too. Still keep one in the basement incase the 35' blue one is not long enough
Old 07-11-2024, 12:04 PM   #9
Site Team

I had one just like Scotty above. It worked very well, but was too stiff, especially in cold weather. We don't seek out cold weather unless you're talking about 8,000 up in the Colorado Rockies. Overnight temps in the 40's is common even in the summer.
Old 07-12-2024, 08:16 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I have been using Flexzilla for a couple years and have been very pleased. All of the “expanding” hoses I have used failed within the first year.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 09:50 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone for your replies ... I guess in the end it is all about what you trust and/or are willing to risk. I think for now I am going to stick with the white snake(s) or at least something that is verified Safe for Drinking Water.

Thanks Again!

Cburg
Old 07-12-2024, 02:10 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
I have been using Flexzilla for a couple years and have been very pleased. All of the “expanding” hoses I have used failed within the first year.

Same, a 50' Flexzilla garden hose, drinking water safe.
Old 07-12-2024, 03:26 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Camco has a newer version of the blue hose that is not as stiff as the old one called the EvoFlex. There are two different versions of it. One collapses flat when empty and rolls up in a tight coil. The other is more conventional. I have the conventioal style. They are much easier to handle than the older blue and white ones.

We use ZeroG at home, I have about a 40% success rate with the ends leaking right out of the box, and I have a couple more that didn't make it a year. They have all been replaced under warranty, but it is a send-it-back and-wait situation.

I carry a 10' and two 25' hoses for potable water. I do have a 50' collapsible hose for miscellaneous use.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 04:03 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We use the EvoFlex and have had great success.
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 08:01 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

X3 on the zero-G RV & Marine Hose. Had our about three years no issues. We do camp in the cold sometimes and the zero-G is so nice to work with.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 08:24 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I have been using https://a.co/d/2HnsqIl. They have held up well for a year or so. This year I am adding https://eartheasy.com/premium-drinki...xoCwUwQAvD_BwE because we are headed to an Army Corp of Engineers campsite that warns of a need for a hundred feet of hose. I haven’t tested the Eartheasy product yet. It is expensive and takes a while to get, but astonishing light and seems well made.
carpedatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 10:21 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Been fulltime for 7 years ZeroG all the way
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2024, 11:54 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I'm voting for the newer Camco hose. It is a standard round hose but you can actually wad it up and stuff it in the bay.
I've found one problem, its so inexpensive ($18 at Walmart last time I bought one) that I have about 5 of them.
Recently I needed to connect two hoses together to get to the water supply and afterwards dw was complaining about yuck stuff in the water.
After due research I found that it was coming from the older (new flexible) hose I had added that we'd previously used and I had coiled up/ hooked the ends together and put away for possibly 3 months.
I blow out hoses and connect the ends together to keep them clean but that idea seems to cause a major problem with the new Camco hoses.
I still plan to use these hoses just not seal them up and leave them like that for a year, actually I have stopped sealing the ends at all.
dickb

Tags
fresh water, water