Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-11-2021, 02:23 AM   #41
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatt View Post
I think I'm spiraling down a rabbit hole!

The more I discover about toads, the more it makes me wonder if I wasn't better off with the Suburban-Airstream TT setup. Ain't no free lunches in sight!

I don't have a farm or huge lot where I can store all these vehicles. So a toad would also mean more storage than I already have for the RV. 3 cars is more insurance, maintenance, etc too.

I dunno. Well, at least I'm getting educated on the subject! Thanks!
Heck, we use one of our 2 daily drivers as a 4-wheel-down-towed too. Don't know why ya need three cars? Larry, 2014 Reyo P.
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 04:21 AM   #42
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalker629 View Post
My wife wants me to tow our 64 Beetle (6 volt). It is lightweight and a manual transmission, but how would the brake kit work?

I have towed my 1969 VW bug. I am now replacing the windshield wiper motor. It tows like a dream. However, it has no AC and not much heat. We sometimes open the small front windows and enjoy the wind in the face. I'm seriously think about selling it.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:32 AM   #43
Winnebago Watcher

Toad

I have a 2012 Chev Sonic with 120,000 km. Can be flat towed. Weighs 2700 lbs. Equipped with base plate for hitch. Also selling a hitch, tow bar and brakes.
DeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:44 AM   #44
Winnebago Owner

More than likely it would not unless hooked to the rv's 12v since all are set for that voltage. I do mean a straight hook up and then you would need to ADD a light kit of some sort. I think you could just change to a 12 V system, with the use of the proper volt reg, generator and swapping out all light bulbs, maybe even some of the electric sensors for fuel oil press etc. Maybe if you can find a vw off road site they can tell what would be involved. We had a 64 vw many years ago, we still laugh at all the issues it had, but ya got to realize this was in Korea when cars there were scarce!
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:53 AM   #45
Winnebago Owner

we pull a 13 Hyundai Elantra and it is a good car, tracks well has nice wheel base and wide for stability. It is a manual 6 speed as that is all that is towable in the brand. Have towed pretty close to 20000 miles with no issues. Weighs around 2900 lbs has plenty of interior space for you and passengers (rear seats fold down) giving plenty of storage space If worried about mileage it get 30+ when in use with 150 Hp direct injecton and is comfortable for the local trips taken. No issues in mountains either.

If you need a small pickup I also have and plan to tow a 84 ranger supercab. It weighs in about 4000 lbs also a manual trans. It is the 4.0 OHV and has over 300000+ miles on it. Just had front end redone and all spring bushings as well a shocks and brakes done. Plan to add a ladder rack so we can take grandkids fishing by carrying a 12 ft boat on it. A friend just gave me a floor mount brake system but I had already bought a new build in, guess will sell it.
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad