Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-01-2024, 08:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Lippert Obsoleting Leveler Control Boards

The control board for the levelers on my 2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C has failed.
I called Winnebago whose parts section said that the 289252 board is not in stock, no date to replenish, call Lippert. Okay, I called Lippert, and they told me the board was discontinued with NO REPLACEMENT. So sorry.

I flailed around, and found one on RVPARTSEXPRESS.com. In response to my order, they sent me a cancellation notice, and recommended I contact MMRVELECTROINICSREPAIR.com in Ohio City, OH, as they do micro-mini printed circuit board repairs. Nice folks there invited me to send the the Control Board, dash touch pad, and Rear Sensor for analysis. After a few weeks, the repair guy let me know that the power supply unit in the control board was sending only 2.5v out of the required 12v to the touch pad, and the ROM chip was failing in stages. Bottom line was the board is irreparably dead.

Lippert has created a single-point failure for the coach. I cannot use the coach because I cannot level it, so the three slides cannot be extended. I cannot repair it without gutting the leveler hydraulics motor and all and replace it all with a new system. $$$$$$$$
BE WARNED! LIPPERT LEVELER SYSTEMS THAT USE A 289252 CONTROL BOARD ARE A TICKING TIME BOMB IN YOUR RV
winston74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 03:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Bad situation but that is what it is, so we have to make the best of it?
But there may be some alternate that could be considered! Not a great deal but alternates to consider.

One might try a search of salvage yards for a matching control board? There are a tub full of Rv that use that system besides Winnebago, so a real close look and lots of calling might get it done? Careful checking/ cross checking of the board number first!

A second idea to let you get by is that lots of folks still use various ramps to level. Not the best and not what we like but when in a tough spot we may have to make do with what works until we can do better!

But if those are not workable, perhaps a few more calls to the repair place and they decide it IS possible to repair, just not a price you would first want to pay? Chips are replaceable but not handy to do in many cases!
I WOULD definitely want to talk about price and warrenty on the repairs if going that way, though!

My wife did custom drapery/fabric work and had a case of replacing a cushion on a couch. The lady was appalled at the price and turned it down. A few weeks later the price was fine after she checked the price of a new couch!

Sometimes there just are no good options!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 06:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

morich is right, anything built with money can be rebuilt with more money. Regrettably it is what it is between a rock and a hard place.
The only other choice is to drive it to HWH in IA and have them do a new install of their product.$$$$

IMO that was a lousy decision by Lippert Industries.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 06:55 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston74 View Post

After a few weeks, the repair guy let me know that the power supply unit in the control board was sending only 2.5v out of the required 12v to the touch pad, and the ROM chip was failing in stages. Bottom line was the board is irreparably dead.

I would suggest the failure of the ROM chip is likely what is making it irreparable, power supplies can be fixed. The ROM chip contains the firmware (programming) that runs the system, without that information to program a new ROM chip, it is essentially toast.

LCI may be willing to provide that code to a repair service, but based on my dealings with them I doubt it.
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 09:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

It is not just a problem in the RV but almost universal.
I'm not surprised when things go obsolete on RV after decades but I'm currently fighting a move to Windows 11.
I have a pretty good computer that does all I want but it will be obsolete soon, "just because" and what they are replacing 10 with on 11 is the pits.

It seems to be designed to make me buy some other program as the changes on Paint, etc. are almost unusable!

Almost sounds like your jack problem?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 10:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I am now on a great scavenger hunt for a working replacement. So far, the bigger salvage yards have none on hand, notably Visone.. BTW- building leveling ramps for a 21,000 pound is more of an engineering challenge than it might seem at first, incluing where to put them.
Best wishes, Jack.
winston74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 11:19 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

You might contact Visone RV Service and Salvage 243 Fields Lane, East Bernstadt, Ky 40729, telephone 606-843-9889

They have one of the largest selections of salvage Winnebagos and other brands in the USA, and might have a salvage RV with the levelers used on your 2014 Sightseer. Other RVs besides Winnebago used the same Lippert Level-Up system.

There were many 1000s of RVs made with the Lippert Level-Up leveling system , they were made up through 9-2015.

I personally can't see any technical reason why the touchpad, controller, and rear sensor module have to be exact replacements IF you replaced all 3 at the same time, assuming you can't find the particular current failed component you are replacing from salvage. That said, it's possible the wiring connections between the post 9-2015 version could have changed to where the current wiring harness might have to be modified or updated. The pre 9-2015 manuals are online , I have them. My coach was manufactured 12-2014 so I have the same LCI Level-Up system that you are dealing with. Never had any issues with it other than having to top off the hydraulic fluid twice in 10 years, and having to do the major error fault reset on the touchpad twice in 10 years.

I assume the post 9-2015 manuals are online, too so you could compare the wiring diagrams.

The operating parts are the hydraulic power unit , reversing valve, 4 jack solenoids, pressure switch and the 4 jacks, and even if Lippert updated the touchpad, controller, and/or rear sensor module I believe the operating parts remained exactly the same.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 08:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Morich got me thinking about the auto industry; they are required to make parts for 10 years after the year model is made.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2024, 04:14 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

After thinking about how my Lippert leveling system works, it should be possible to design and build a relay/pushbutton manual control system. One button for each cylinder to lower it to touch the ground, one button for each set of 2 cylinders (Front/ rear/left/right) and one to raise all four at once. Presumably, there are 2 solenoid valves per cylinder, one for down, and one for up.

The concept lacks the necessary interlocks and other safety features at this time. It's not trivial, but it would be possible...
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2024, 05:47 PM   #10
Just Trying to Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
After thinking about how my Lippert leveling system works, it should be possible to design and build a relay/pushbutton manual control system. One button for each cylinder to lower it to touch the ground, one button for each set of 2 cylinders (Front/ rear/left/right) and one to raise all four at once. Presumably, there are 2 solenoid valves per cylinder, one for down, and one for up.

The concept lacks the necessary interlocks and other safety features at this time. It's not trivial, but it would be possible...
For examples on what you can do, see:

How I replaced my Atwood Levelegs Control Pad and Controller for CHEAP!

and

How to Raise Power Gear Jacks One at a Time
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2024, 06:14 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Morich got me thinking about the auto industry; they are required to make parts for 10 years after the year model is made.
And I had issues with that. I had a 1982 Chevy wagon, the rear door/window latch was NLA at the 7-year mark because it was made from pot metal and failed, there were none to be had in the salvage yards. When I called out Chevrolet about the parts availability they basically told me where to go. I found out there was little recourse. I ended up casting my own from aluminum an it lasted until I sold the car to the salvage yard.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 06:28 PM   #12
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Why can't you....

Why can't you use any other controller. All they do is turn on a pump and send hydrologic fluid in one to for locations. I know I'm simplifying this but the wires going to the back of the control panel shouldn't be that complicated.

This is coming from someone that just pushes the "auto" button but I have an electronics background.

How about going to your local high school robotics class. Get them to program an Arduino and make up a control board. Make a Donation to the program.
7997redtail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lippert