Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-09-2020, 12:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Motor Home/Trailer Life Magazines Cease Publication

saw this in the local paper today. and a renewal notice for our subscription to MH magazine was just delivered in today's mail.

we've been subscribers to MH magazine since 1986. our current subscription runs through June of 2022. we'll have ample time to see what the new RV Magazine is about before deciding to continue subscribing.

-------------------
Camping World Holdings launches new website
source: https://www.dailyherald.com/business...es-new-website

LINCOLNSHIRE -- Camping World Holdings Inc. and Good Sam, the world's largest organization of recreational vehicle owners, Tuesday announced the launch of a new website, RV.com, supported by a new publication, RV Magazine.

RV.com and RV Magazine will offer readers exclusive product reveals and reviews for all RV types, top travel destinations, recipes, money saving ideas and trending products. New product innovations and solutions that are driving the industry will be spotlighted, along with safety tips for the outdoors.

"As the RV and outdoor industry continues its rapid growth, we are investing heavily in a full circle solution of content that enhances the lifestyle," said Marcus Lemonis, chairman and CEO of Camping World Holdings Inc.

The company also announced the retirement of its legacy print publications Trailer Life and MotorHome magazines with the December 2020 issues to focus its energy on the new magazine and enhanced website.

With over 2 million members, Good Sam is the world's largest RV membership organization. Founded in 1966 to help fellow RV travelers on the road, the Good Sam brand has been supporting and assisting RVers for more than 50 years.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Is that available on tablets? I tried searching for mags last year and didn't find squat in electronic form (at least for the USA).
Old 09-09-2020, 02:48 PM   #3
Site Team

There is a Motorhome magazine app for iOS and iPadOS.
Also, FMCA offers their magazine, Family RVing, digitally. They send an email each month that links to the digital version.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I turned in my last assignment for Trailer Life this month. As of yet, I do not know what the status will be of my getting any future assignments as the new format will not be using any of the in-depth technical articles like those I have been doing for the past year and a half. I hope to get some more product reviews and buyer's guides, but it remains to be seen. I left the motorcycle magazine industry 15 years ago when many of the print titles started disappearing and looks like that trend has caught up with the RV industry. TL has been around for decades and with the industry as strong now as it has ever been I was looking forward to a continuing relationship. Very sad to see it go...

Rick A. Diaz
RADRick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

What's a "magazine?"

Just kiddin'
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:57 PM   #6
Site Team

RADRick1, thanks for your contributions to Motorhome Magazine. I’ll miss it, and appreciated the technical articles.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

IMO if the new magazine is like the Free ones they gave out a few years ago at CW then the magazine will be basically nothing but ads and more literature from the manufacturers. Dont know why they are all in hurry to do digital, kinda hard to take the desk top to the throne room to read up on latest stuff!

Just got the new 'highways' from cw and it was nothing but advertisements for cw stuff with some sidebar stuff that didnt amount to much.
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank857 View Post
...Just got the new 'highways' from cw and it was nothing but advertisements for cw stuff with some sidebar stuff that didnt amount to much.
we haven't received that publication in, well, forever even though we're on the CW mailing list. one less piece for the recycle bin.

Old 09-30-2020, 12:59 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Sigh. How many times over the years have we heard that a long-standing service, product, or publication is being discontinued "so we can serve you better"?

As a general rule only the corporate executives and/or stockholders actually benefit.

Since so many magazines and other print publications have gone belly up in the last few years, I suppose its inevitable that more will follow suit to save money. Its sad to see it happening to our little part of the world.

Guess we'll have to grin and bear it.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:07 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Yeah, I have a feeling it will be a short-lived proposition.
RADRick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:57 PM   #11
DNC
2016 Journey 36M

Now that Motorhome Magazine has been replaced with RV Magazine, I'm looking for to subscribe to a magazine similar to the expired Motorhome Magazine. The articles I liked best in the Motorhome Magazine (Tech Savvy Quick Tips, Hot Line, and Coach and Powertrain) didn't migrate to the new RV Magazine. I liked pretty much everything about Motorhome Magazine but find the new RV Magazine doesn't include the articles I really liked. Any recommendations for a magazine that focuses on motorhomes and includes these types of articles?
DNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:42 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I personally don’t find any of these magazines useful. The publications are so beholden to advertising dollars that they can’t write any critical reviews. Paying money for a bundle of glorified press releases is pointless. I find it amazing how little can be found online or in print on real world reviews.
FlyingBiskit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:55 PM   #13
DNC
2016 Journey 36M

I agree with the advertising comment, but I like reading magazine articles about motorhome stuff even if the magazine is packed with advertising. I think the articles about maintenance and repair that were in the MH magazine were very good and I particularly liked the Hot Line that seemed to hold some manufacturers, repair, and service folks responsible for their poor customer service/warranty obligations.
DNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:10 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

i used to enjoy reading MH Magazine cover-to-cover and then it slowly changed to a PR rag. that process was completed with the shutdown of MH and the emergence of RV Magazine. what used to take hours now take minutes. it's a shallow publication which will probably be very successful.

Tags
cat