Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-25-2024, 07:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

New Tire time for 27N Adventurer

I need to get new tires for our 2020 27N Adventurer as the original ones are getting worn out. But, the OEM tires were terrible, very stiff and felt every little bump. So I am after a tire that is more forgiving without giving up safety or steering.
Please let me know if you have changed out tires to something more comfortable such as Michelin Radials or something less expensive but still gives a more gentle ride. I did upgrade the shocks and added a stabilizer bar, etc so wind nor big trucks passing do not cause much of a problem.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The bottom line is; this is modified Ford medium-duty truck chassis and will ride like a truck.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 08:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Ok, so it rides like a truck, and I agree. But the ride is so bad that it feels like there are NO shocks or springs of any kind. Some RV repair shops have said that Michelin Radials are significantly smoother than what I have now. I don't want to buy and install new tires only to find they don't provide an improvement on the ride. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:11 PM   #4
Site Team

There are plenty of good tire choices, but even the best tires don’t do much about the lousy ride on bad roads.

We had Michelins on our Class A and when they aged out I replaced them with Toyos and they made the ride .001% smoother… maybe.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The RV is basically a truck with truck suspension. I doubt that you will get much better ride by changing tire brands, Now if you could go with larger tires with taller Aspect Ratio you might be able to provide the load capacity you need at a lower PSI. But I have no idea what size tire will fit. maybe someone else can offer info on alternate tire sizes.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

2016 207N Vista LX: Less than ayear ago, I replace my tires with Toyo. No regrets!
Tahoe63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 05:04 PM   #7
ACB
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb View Post
Ok, so it rides like a truck, and I agree. But the ride is so bad that it feels like there are NO shocks or springs of any kind. Some RV repair shops have said that Michelin Radials are significantly smoother than what I have now. I don't want to buy and install new tires only to find they don't provide an improvement on the ride. Thanks for the reminder.
I feel your pain. These ride like UPS trucks. I think the GOODYEAR tires that came on my 2022 VISTA are very hard but long lasting. 37,000 miles and still plenty of tread but I replaced the front with Kelly tires ( which I believe are a Goodyear company?) and it improved slightly. And I mean slightly.
I replaced shocks with Koni, added Sumo springs, rear track bar, steering stabilizer and Ford upgraded the sway bars the year after yours.
All this helped but the ride IS NOT GOOD. My Vista is only the 18,000 lb chassis, so only 19.5 tires. That also hurts my ride.
My buddy has Michelin 22.5 on his 24,000 chassis and it rides a bit better. But still a truck. I think Toyo tires are a little smoother than the Goodyear.
Hope this helps.
ACB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 09:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We had an early 1990's Vectra that had the rear leaf springs cut off just behind the rear axel and replaced with air bags behind the axel and a side to side control bar to keep the rear end inline.
The front I-beam suspension was replaced with independent front suspension with the front tires in line with the inside rear dual tires. It was an extremely smooth riding coach but nearly impossible to control.

. In my humble opinion it's not the tires that make the big difference, it's the suspension, in my case it's the ride difference that comes with the diesel engine and the air bag suspension.
Yes I still feel railroad tracks and big dips but not the big time rattle and roll, every bump in the road with my last gassers suspensions.
The tires are just one of many factors
Old 05-02-2024, 04:00 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I ran Micheline tires on a 1996 Winnebago I once owned. After many miles, I changed them for Goodyear tires. They were good. But the Michelines rode better. I replaced the front coil springs with larger more heavy duty coil springs. That helped and the motor home looked more level.
Old 05-02-2024, 06:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Hi, I have owned 6 class A motorhomes over the last 30 years, all but one had Michelin tires when I got them. The MH I have now had 2 year old Toyos on it and I found them to be better than the Michelins. They held up better and seemed to ride better. I did just replace them with Firestone FS 650 plus tires, mainly because my local dealer couldn't find the Toyos with a new enough date code (something else to watch for when buying RV tires). The Toyos lasted 10 years with no sidewall cracking, but I find the ride and handling noticeably better with the Firestones. Of course, I am running 255/70 22.5 tires on a Freightliner chassis so you're experience may be different.
Old 05-03-2024, 09:07 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have used Toyo tires on two different motorhome and have been very pleased in both cases plus the price is good as well.
RPChapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 11:35 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Since you are in Bend, check out Les Schwab. Service anywhere in the West. I was hesitant to use their Continentals, but now I like everything about them. A bit softer ride than the Goodyears.

Don't put more than 82 PSI in your tires per the sticker - that makes a big difference on our 27n.

The biggest ride improvement of all were the (loosy-goosy) Monroe motorhome shocks, if you can tolerate the handling tradeoff. I can.

I won't buy another Michelin product, as they called their sidewall checking problem "cosmetic", didn't warranty the tires, and cost me $5000 dollars on a trade-in once...

Best of luck!
Old 05-03-2024, 01:24 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Our 2007 27' Itasca gasser on the 16K lb chassis came with Toyos from the prior owner. This is my first MH, and I was shocked about the ride stiffness despite the many suspension mods that had been installed. The prior owner ran 90 lb pressure in all of the 19.5" tires. I weighed the unit and looked up the load chart for the tires. I discovered I could drop to 85 lb on the front tires and 70 lb on the (dually) rear tires. This made a big difference. I also sound proofed the doghouse. These two changes made it ride and sound like a different beast. Yes, it still rides like a truck but a more pleasant one.
EverettO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 01:19 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

EverettO

Did you not run into a minimum pressure with the Toyos? I think the Continental chart doesn't go below 80 PSI...
Old 05-06-2024, 12:31 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
EverettO

Did you not run into a minimum pressure with the Toyos? I think the Continental chart doesn't go below 80 PSI...
Thanks for asking. Your question made me go back and look at the numbers again. The Toyo chart starts at 70 pounds for this size tire , 22570r19.5. At 70 pounds of pressure in dual use, they hold 2720 each. That’s just shy of 11k lb across all four.

Btw 85 lb for front and 70lb for rear is also what the RV sticker dictates. Setting my pressures here made all the difference for our drive quality.
Old 05-06-2024, 08:30 AM   #16
Ted & Lynne

I am confused. The tire says 110 cold but the Winnebago label says 85. Witch one do I use?
Old 05-06-2024, 08:50 AM   #17
Site Team

Tire says "110 Cold MAX". Winnebago says, your RV weights X, Your Tire Size is X and the recommended Tire pressure is 85.

So, unless you've weighed your RV and it's overweight you use the official placard that has been placed inside the RV for OFFICIAL purposes.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:54 AM   #18
Ted & Lynne

Definately appreciate that. I will let some air out.
Old 05-06-2024, 11:52 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

The old sticker vs tire issue. While the tire shows the max weight it can hold at a certain pressure, I have always been told to go by the vehicle sticker. This is true for regular cars too. In this case, I verified that the sticker number is within the tire makers specs by reviewing the tire chart. This is what Toyo's table looks like: https://www.toyotires.com/media/1467...on-table_0.pdf

Tags
adventurer, vent