Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-21-2024, 01:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Traveling in Snow with Minnie Winnie 27Q

Hello all We just bought our Minni Winni 27Q my question is how is travel in snow? Do I need to have chains?
Shanome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2024, 01:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have never used chains on an Rv but for several reasons and that may change the answers for you and your use!
One is that I was not into RV use when in the cold country where chains may be needed often.
Two is that my experience with using chains at work was so bad that I never want to do it on my own cars/trucks. You may be different and used to using chains but if it gets down to having to use chains to get there, I will go another day!
Damage on a company truck was their problem and I did what they required but would never do that to my own! They paid to have them put on, paid to have them taken off and replaced them almost every time we used them.
Their alternative was to get heavy equipment to take us in to do the work, so chains were considered "cheaper!
Not my budget, so it is NEVER that important that I would use chains of an RV!

But I also do not go to snow country for the fun of it! Been there and never again!
So what is your situation? Got to get there? Just wondering if you should?
Can you get chains on if you wind up not getting it played just right?

My problem always seemed to be getting off the main road where chains were needed but after driving 50-100 miles of roads which were cleared! They put the chains on but they were almost beat off by the time we got to the spots we needed them!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2024, 11:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanome View Post
Hello all We just bought our Minni Winni 27Q my question is how is travel in snow? Do I need to have chains?
We bought a 27Q while living in Alaska about 5 years ago. Never drove it in snow until 3 years ago on our last trip out on the Alaska Highway as we moved permanently to New Mexico. On our second day on the road we ran into the remains of a snowstorm that passed through northern Canada a couple days before. Temps were at and a bit above freezing and the road surface ranged from light snow and a little ice, to slushy, then dry for the rest of the trip.

The road was winding and somewhat hilly, but we took it easy and made it through that patch with nary a slip or slide. The rig handled well, but I have little doubt that being so heavy in the rear it could have slid sideways quite easily.

We lived in Alaska for many years and know how to drive on snow and ice, but if given a choice of driving the motorhome in snow or staying put, we'll stay put. There is just no need to put oneself in harm's way unless there is no other choice.
Old 10-22-2024, 10:22 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Fully agree with the idea of staying safe when we have a choice. One thing we also found was how much difference having chains on may in the stopping when on less than fully packed snow. On the spots where the concrete was cleared, we got some major scares when pulling generators on trailers and chains on.
Chains on surface where they can't dig in are actually much more likely to skid!
Think of a few bars of metal making contact with much less surface meeting versus a whole rubber tire surface down on the surface. The metal slides!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2024, 07:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Traveling in snow

Shanome, you have been given great advice. Putting on chains is a real pain on a M/H. I have done it many times to get into rural property for about 1/4 mile due to having to get up a hill. Do as they recommended and avoid driving in the snow if at all possible. Stay an extra day as the roads usually get plowed. I have driven my Promaster van in snow and slush but couldn’t avoid it. Stay in the right lane, go slow and stay behind the trucks. It’s when you get off the highway it usually gets more icy and the trouble begins. Low and slow. Watch out for the careless drivers. Safe travels, Travato John.
TravatoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2024, 09:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Consider the body damage a broken chain can instill to a car, which doesn't have miles of wiring routed close to wheel-wells. Not only body damage to contend with, but figuring out how to replace all those wiring connections,meanwhile having to do without electricity in the RV.
Just run an internet search for RV tire chain damage to see examples of the thousands of dollars in body damage owners have experienced.
You are limited to a maximum speed of 20-30 MPH when using tire chains, tire cables are a bit better, but still limit speed. Ever driven a vehicle with chains installed? It is not a relaxing experience to be limited to a maximum of 30 MPH while riding in a strongly vibrating machine.
RVing is supposed to be fun and relaxing.

Yes there are mountain passes in the Western U.S.A. that require tire chains to be onboard JIC they are needed during winter months.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel