Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-24-2024, 02:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2019 Outlook 25J Frig not on while driving

Hi
Got my first RV. It has been a horrible frustrating difficult 3 months getting it road ready. On driving days. I have the engine running, battery switch on and inverter on per the instructions in manual. Fridge is not on. Any ideas on why?
Thank you
Frustrated but determined ��
FYI Frig works great on shore power.
jpsunseeker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 03:37 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Hi, here are a couple of questions:
1) Are you sure that the refrigerator is supposed to work on AC from the inverter? On many campers this is an option. Also, any previous owners may have changed how things operate so it may not agree with the owners manual.
2) Do any of the other electrical outlets connected to the inverter work?
3) Does your refrigerator have the option to work from propane as well as on AC power? If so, does it work on propane?
4) Is the refrigerator completely dead/dark or does the control panel light up?

It would be helpful if you provided the make and model number of your refrigerator.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 04:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones2003 View Post
Hi, here are a couple of questions:
1) Are you sure that the refrigerator is supposed to work on AC from the inverter? On many campers this is an option. Also, any previous owners may have changed how things operate so it may not agree with the owners manual.
2) Do any of the other electrical outlets connected to the inverter work?
3) Does your refrigerator have the option to work from propane as well as on AC power? If so, does it work on propane?
4) Is the refrigerator completely dead/dark or does the control panel light up?

It would be helpful if you provided the make and model number of your refrigerator.
Thank you for your assistance!
It is the original frig that came with the RV. No modifications.
Danby model DPF073C1WDB / DOF07C1WDB
Frig only designed to run on electric no propane option.
No other 120 volt appliances work with inverter.
Frig is dark and no power to it when inverter is on.
Per manual "In order to operate the refrigerator requires shoreline power, generator running or inverter power. "
Seems like it would be a normal function in an RV for a refrigerator to be powered some how while driving it. I have been learning the hard way that normal or logical does not seem to apply to how RVs are designed. Sigh.
Old 06-24-2024, 04:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Okay we got some info pulled together that may help sort the problem.
Good chance there is a GFCI outlet tripped on the front of the inverter!
Are you up on resetting GFCI with the button to push in? I'm guessing that is likely but some other info needs a look!
Does the frig work when on shore power/plugged into power?
If not that path from the plug to the inverter and other things on it is needed.
Click these snips to get best view or go direct to this drawing for more info n the 110AC electrical.
Click image for larger version

Name:	inverter3.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	189279
This shows power from the cord should go the the main breaker and then it feeds the other smaller breakers. If no power from cord, these two breakers are suspect and may need reset!
Power then goes through the inverter to the frig and two outlet for TV! ALL power should work when plugged but on these when on inverter alone and it is turned on!
HOWEVER! There is also a GFCI on the front of the inverter. I still a problem, check and see if it needs reset! Power should pass through or been "made" from battery power.

Name:	inverter 2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	189280

Name:	inverter 1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	189281
Parts drawings here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

I can't tell from this if you get to the inverter in a cabinet inside or access from out??

See if that gets you some relief! It a tough climb at times!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 06:56 PM   #5
Site Team

That GFCI on the end of the inverter is what I would check first. But also, be sure that you don't have a House (Or sometimes called Coach) battery disconnect set to OFF. Because that would cause this as well.

In 2018-2019 there was a period of transition between RV dual-fuel refrigerators and today's common 12v compressor fridges, when they used 110v compressor fridges in smaller Class C motorhomes. It was pretty short lived and soon they all seemed to be replaced with 12vdc compressor refrigerators.

When you're new to RVing in a motorhome it can be a steep learning curve. Ask all the questions you want and we'll be happy to help.
Old 06-26-2024, 07:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

My sister found the location in an online manual. It was on the floor under the stove, behind the bottom drawer. I was able to wiggle my arm into the opening and pressed the reset button on it
That worked. Frig now runs on house batteries with inverter switch on while driving the RV.
Still believe this information should have been in the two manuals that came with the RV.
Or at least a sticker could have been put on the back of the drawer indicating it was back there. Which I am going to do myself so it is there for the next owner. Which may be sooner than later. ; )
Thank you so much for your help.
It "takes a village" to own an RV.
Old 06-27-2024, 07:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Note to self?
When dealing with new things and having trouble, read the book!
Not to blame you personally as it is a common problem I see around here!
The problem seems to be that we want an RV to be just like home and that is far, far from the truth!
Glad to hear you got it going!
Old 06-27-2024, 08:41 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Wow. I guess you missed where I said it WAS NOT IN THE TWO MANUALS THAT CAME WITH THE RV. I didn't expect to have to do an internet search for something that important to NOT be in the MANUALS INCLUDED WITH THE RV. And none of the people on a Winnebago forum were able to easily find that information either so what does that say. Note to self. When someone says they are struggling and frustrated with finding needed information, it is not the time to imply it is on them. Doesn't help new people.
Old 06-27-2024, 08:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Fine! We live in a world where help often irritates more than helps!
Live in the real world or go solo, whatever floats your boat!

Actually I do not have a problem if YOUR frig never works!