Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-18-2024, 03:01 PM   #1
BRT
Winnebago Watcher

Getting Back into RVing - Truck/Travel Trailer Advice

We previous had a class-A and a Travel Trailer, so we are not beginners. My wife and I are both retired and want to get back into RVing. But, I would like some help in selecting a new ‘Towing’ truck, and any information on a particular Travel Trailer.

We are currently looking at (1) 23 - 24 Ford 150 with either 3.5L EcoBoost or 5.0 V8, or (2) a 23 -24 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi V8. Looking for any info on these trucks – known issues, preference,,, And, any issues you may have experience while towing a trailer. I want a truck that will pull the load (flat road or Tennessee Mountains), has best gas mileage towing, is a comfortable ride for long trips and has a good warranty. This may be too much to ask for….
For a Travel Trailer, we are looking to purchasing something like the Winnebago Voyage 2427RB. Its dry weight is 6,460 lbs. and a hitch weight of 660 lbs. It seems that the new trailers have solar – any known issues with these solar panels. If you have a Voyage, what is the 1 thing that you do not like about it?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

BRT
BRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 05:03 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome!

When we had travel trailers we had a 1/2 ton Ford with a V8 and it towed fine but then we got a 1/2 ton with the V6 EcoBoost and it towed even better.

I can't help much more than that. Best of luck making your choices.

Might I suggest heading over to www.irv2.com and asking the same questions. Your membership login here also works over there, too. Lots more folks with all kinds of trucks and TTs over there. And for the real skinny on any trucks you're considering find a good, active forum for that truck or brand specifically.

Others may feel differently but when I pass 6,000lb of anticipated trailer weight I start thinking a 3/4 ton truck might be better. But that's just me.

Tags
advice, travel